• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Adobe Cloud? Every one not so happy…

Michael Nagel

Nicolas,

There was a time when I was interested in buying more than two or three verssions of PSE I bought until now, but the price for LR was for a while beyond what I wanted to pay for it. recently I was amost to buy, but the move of Adobe to change their policy (and this will most likey cover LR as well in a not so distant future) makes that I am no longer interested.

There are two possible futures I see:
Adobe changes back or offers at least a possibility to buy, but this could be a crippled version as they will probably not give up their cloud concept.

Adobe carries on as if nothing had happened.

For all whose efficiency depends on Adobe CS any change is difficult as most will not have the leisure to learn to use another software and to adapt the (often painfully developed) workflow to it. There will be people changing, but as long as the pain infliced by the licensing model and the different way to work this might imply it not too high there will be no change (think of the frog in slowly heating water analogy).

For those who just start or do it as a hobby, a change is easier. Many of these will change.

There is one thing which will help to supply new customers:
As long as CS is seen as industry standard and taught at schools/universities, you name it, as part of the standard curriculum this will stay a positive feedback-loop (Tom, do you hear me?). How did Microsoft win the office software market? Think student versions! Now as they have introduced a similar model with Office365 things may change...

Any change resulting from the change of licensing policy will be slow. The CEO who introduced it will probably not see dramatic changes within his term...

My decision was - as I switched to Linux recently - to stay with tools like ufraw, rawtherapee, darktable and gimp.
There is a learning curve ahead, but I already start enjoying it...

I will look at the pages you mentioned and see what I sign.

Best regards,
Michael

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Nicolas,

There was a time when I was interested in buying more than two or three verssions of PSE I bought until now, but the price for LR was for a while beyond what I wanted to pay for it. recently I was amost to buy, but the move of Adobe to change their policy (and this will most likey cover LR as well in a not so distant future) makes that I am no longer interested.

There are two possible futures I see:
Adobe changes back or offers at least a possibility to buy, but this could be a crippled version as they will probably not give up their cloud concept.

Adobe carries on as if nothing had happened.

For all whose efficiency depends on Adobe CS any change is difficult as most will not have the leisure to learn to use another software and to adapt the (often painfully developed) workflow to it. There will be people changing, but as long as the pain infliced by the licensing model and the different way to work this might imply it not too high there will be no change (think of the frog in slowly heating water analogy).

For those who just start or do it as a hobby, a change is easier. Many of these will change.

There is one thing which will help to supply new customers:
As long as CS is seen as industry standard and taught at schools/universities, you name it, as part of the standard curriculum this will stay a positive feedback-loop (Tom, do you hear me?). How did Microsoft win the office software market? Think student versions! Now as they have introduced a similar model with Office365 things may change...

Any change resulting from the change of licensing policy will be slow. The CEO who introduced it will probably not see dramatic changes within his term...

My decision was - as I switched to Linux recently - to stay with tools like ufraw, rawtherapee, darktable and gimp.
There is a learning curve ahead, but I already start enjoying it...

I will look at the pages you mentioned and see what I sign.

Best regards,
Michael

What do I need to hear, Michael. Something I have heard before.
I get a student version for all this stuff and so do my students, colleges, universities and anyone who can kidnap a student for long enough to register a lisence. Why not. Its a great idea and a way to corner the market. But as I have said before, I teach a range of products. I don't make any decisions for the providers or the students. PS or any other software is not part of the curriculum in any public education system in Australia that I am aware of and if it was it would be quickly removed. Editing is in there, though and the teacher is obliged to demonstrate a brought understanding, not specific to any one program. I am obliged by my own ethics to expose students to what they can use.
The choice is still theirs.

Michael Nagel

Tom,

please don't get me wrong, I am OK with the approach you describe, it is just that I have seen others where I asked myself if I did miss the 'sponsored by...' phrase somewhere.

Best regards,
Michael

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Michael
don't get me wrong too!
I thought it could be a good idea that OPFers know about these petitions.
I have little hope that Adobe will change it's policy… and that other sw makers follow the same way…
I do have bought the CS6 (I mean upgrades after upgrades) and LR also a while ago.
For my professional workflow on MAc I don't see any other good tool for know to replace both. C1 could be back for me the day the Pentax 645D will be supported, but as for PS… that's another story : (
Still I do think that Adobe policy ain't good except for their income. Their "captured" market may see less improvement in sw in the future as Adobe won't need anymore to sell upgrades…

Michael Nagel

Nicolas,

I feel your pain! It is important, but I also have the impression that the most efficient way to tell Adobe that their decision is wrong is what we call here in Germany (literal translation) to vote with the feet, that means to walk away, stay away as this will be most visible in sales figures and this has sadly become the only language that is universally understood - even within large international companies.

Pour citer Coluche: Quand on pense qu'il suffirait que les gens n'achètent plus de saloperies pour que ça ne se vende pas!
Et une saloperie, c'est le nouveau modèle de licence...

I know what it means to become dependent from a software maker - there are other quasi-monopolies that have become (unfortunately) accepted, just take measurement automation and National Instruments...

The point is not only the pricing, but it slows down innovation as there is no real competitor to surpass feature-wise.

This is something that concerns me as well in this kind of situation - innovation (real, not just another feature) is what we need to move forward.

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

At this moment in time, I do not think I need the ' Cloud ' .

My work is just for pleasure and no more. Not reaching for the skies either!!

I too, like Nicolas, have been paying for upgrades of PS. I also think I shall get a refund of my money charged and Adobe not honoring to send me license number and download instructions for CS6..which I had paid for.

I shall get a CS6 upgrade as soon as the monies are on my cc. And I shall call it quits. I have CS3 running on an old Macbook Pro, with all the filters I need too.

I have Aperture and Lightroom and the smaller sw on my travel Macs.

Whether the new business model is good or bad for Adobe, time will tell. It is a business strategy they want to follow.

I shall not subscribe to this business model.

I wish Adobe well. And their customers even better.

p.s I have enough photographs to publish quite a few books...an exercise that I have seriously begun. My existing software is enough for that. As a few coffee books with friends and family have shown.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

please don't get me wrong, I am OK with the approach you describe, it is just that I have seen others where I asked myself if I did miss the 'sponsored by...' phrase somewhere.

Best regards,
Michael

I wish.
People see me with lots of toys. My excuse is that I need it to teach what is current. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. They often go out and buy it based on the loose fact that because I use it it must be good. I'd like a kick back from the companies, then I could go buy more toys but working for the NT Dept of Education doesn't allow that of me. Maybe if I ran my own classes, things might be different and I'd be out there seeking sponsorship. I've never gone down that path and don't want to. Its easier to work for the government. At least I know where to stand on such issues.

By the way, so that I can keep up with current software I have just subscribed to CC. Its going to cost me about $150/year to maintain. Even I can afford that.
As for signing my life away. We'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cem_Usakligil

....By the way, so that I can keep up with current software I have just subscribed to CC. Its going to cost me about $150/year to maintain. Even I can afford that.
As for signing my life away. We'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'll add this to my list of famous last words Tom.
You will need an exit strategy when the introduction prices expire and the subscription fees go up to a level, which even you can no longer afford.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'll add this to my list of famous last words Tom.
You will need an exit strategy when the introduction prices expire and the subscription fees go up to a level, which even you can no longer afford.

Have a little faith, Cem. Being skeptical is beneath you. Besides, I'll just send christine out to work a second job.

On a more general note, is it human nature to whine as soon as the wind blows in a change?
Looking for the bad stuff is such a waste of time. It was probably my very optimistic parents who always saw a sunny side. Yes, even to price rises.
So, while you all get on with the end of the world as we know it, I'm off with a smile to my computer to play. If it blows up in my face and Adobe hack my files or send me bankrupt, so be it. At least you will know you were right.
How nice would that be for you?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I see it as a good thing. Now folk will pay more attention to other offerings and that alone will help make a competitive market. It's not going to be long that pretty well all of the features of PS will be available with the pretty functional alternatives already available. I'm investing time in broadening my choice and in the process will learn new capabilities other routes offer.

It was like when IBM went too far and then that created a market for that easily outstripped them in the home, school, college and small office computer markets.

This is a new dawn for creative payoff for small companies. Thanks, Adobe!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I was just thinking how this might compare to cell (mobile) phone subscriptions as compared to the old way when you had to put a coin in a slot. I pay $30/month to keep in touch with people I don't want to talk to. What did I do before that?
Newspapers are now going to subscription. Books are downloaded. I buy most stuff on line. eBay is the new supermarket. I can stay at home and watch the movies on my iPad. I can watch last weeks tv this week. I subscribe to mags.
Resistance is futile. In the future, all our names will begin with i. We will make love by subscription (some already do), order a meal and have it delivered ( that's already done), get our weekly shopping ( too late, already done), even subscribe to our doctor to keep us healthy.
If you think you can stop it by sending a few signatures to Adobe or going elsewhere you are living on the edge of a very steep and slippery slope.
If its not adobe it will be someone else. Prepare yourself, good people. The end in nie.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I see it as a good thing. Now folk will pay more attention to other offerings and that alone will help make a competitive market. It's not going to be long that pretty well all of the features of PS will be available with the pretty functional alternatives already available. I'm investing time in broadening my choice and in the process will learn new capabilities other routes offer.

It was like when IBM went too far and then that created a market for that easily outstripped them in the home, school, college and small office computer markets.

Well said.

We know there is something wrong when the popular term for "to alter a photograph" is to "Photoshop" it.

Sometimes somebody has looked at an image I have presented and said, "wow - did you use Photoshop on that?"

I've always been able to say, "no, I didn't."

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

I was just thinking how this might compare to cell (mobile) phone subscriptions as compared to the old way when you had to put a coin in a slot. I pay $30/month to keep in touch with people I don't want to talk to. What did I do before that?
Newspapers are now going to subscription. Books are downloaded. I buy most stuff on line. eBay is the new supermarket. I can stay at home and watch the movies on my iPad. I can watch last weeks tv this week. I subscribe to mags.
Resistance is futile. In the future, all our names will begin with i. We will make love by subscription (some already do), order a meal and have it delivered ( that's already done), get our weekly shopping ( too late, already done), even subscribe to our doctor to keep us healthy.
If you think you can stop it by sending a few signatures to Adobe or going elsewhere you are living on the edge of a very steep and slippery slope.
If its not adobe it will be someone else. Prepare yourself, good people. The end in nie.

If French and some other people hadn't resist to the nazis during WW2, the allied would had much more difficulties to free-up Europe.
Wether it is for political or economical reasons, resistance is the power of people.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Resistance is futile. In the future, all our names will begin with i.
I own nothing whose name starts with"i", except perhaps some ink. (When I lived in Texas, I had many ink pens, but here in New Mexico they are just called "pens".)

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

You saved 30$ a month. Hint, hint... ;)

With Adobe, I am going to do the same: save the subscription to the "cloud". I don't want any of that. We'll see how long my version of CS survives and what decision makes sense in a few years when my version of CS does not work any more.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
If French and some other people hadn't resist to the nazis during WW2, the allied would had much more difficulties to free-up Europe.
Wether it is for political or economical reasons, resistance is the power of people.

Bloody hell, Nick. That analogy is a bit over the top. Even I can't beat that.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Asher,

Well said.

We know there is something wrong when the popular term for "to alter a photograph" is to "Photoshop" it.

Sometimes somebody has looked at an image I have presented and said, "wow - did you use Photoshop on that?"

I've always been able to say, "no, I didn't."

Best regards,

Doug

Now, let me think.

Biro, Escalator, Yo yo, Aspirin, Heroin, Kerosene, Google.

C'mon Doug. You can do it. Admit it. You're a closet user. We all do it sometimes. And it won't send you blind like you mother said.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Now, let me think.

Biro, Escalator, Yo yo, Aspirin, Heroin, Kerosene, Google.

C'mon Doug. You can do it. Admit it. You're a closet user. We all do it sometimes. And it won't send you blind like you mother said.

I have never used "[to] Photoshop" to mean to edit an image. But beyond that, I almost never use Photoshop to edit an image.

What I said was not about "aspirin", "kerosene", "escalator", and "yo-yo". However, I use those these as generic terms, as there are ample legal rulings as to their status in that regard - their former trademark status has been nullified (for many of them, in the 1920s).

I have never said "Frigidaire" to mean "refrigerator", nor "Teletype" to mean "teletypewriter", nor "Linotype" to mean "line casting machine" (although I can tell you a fabulous story about that). I think I have never said (nor until just now, written) "Biro". I have never used "[to] Google" as a verb. And we call the little greenish-brown fruit we often have at breakfast "kiwifruit".

When you've been around here a little longer, you will perhaps come to understand my policies and practices with regard to terminology.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

I have never used "[to] Photoshop" to mean to edit an image. But beyond that, I almost never use Photoshop to edit an image.

What I said was not about "aspirin", "kerosene", "escalator", and "yo-yo". However, I use those these as generic terms, as there are ample legal rulings as to their status in that regard - their former trademark status has been nullified (for many of them, in the 1920s).

I have never said "Frigidaire" to mean "refrigerator", nor "Teletype" to mean "teletypewriter", nor "Linotype" to mean "line casting machine" (although I can tell you a fabulous story about that). I think I have never said (nor until just now, written) "Biro". I have never used "[to] Google" as a verb. And we call the little greenish-brown fruit we often have at breakfast "kiwifruit".

When you've been around here a little longer, you will perhaps come to understand my policies and practices with regard to terminology.

Best regards,

Doug

Have you ever used the word 'anal' to describe anything, Doug?
'Never' is such a great word. It locks you into unchangeable thinking.
Thank our lucky stars Shakespeare or Pope didn't think like that.

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

I am not too old to learn, but let me assure you, this is an idea that's not had much of any light of day in the U.K. or the USA in the past 50 years, to the best of my knowledge - something that I've personally never come across before. Could very well be that my total ignorance of this it's a reflection of Anglocentric education. I know personal brave accounts of French resistance, but have no way of integrating that into a larger tapestry and give weights to what really moved history.

[removed]

Taking from all previous discussions, France gave to Europe and thence the world, "The Universal Rights of Man". What more noble could a nation give to humanity as law backed by the power of the state and not dependent on charity? Hitlers Germany essentially sought to wipe out that notion. That I'm certain of.

Who was noble and who was not, is of far less importance than the struggle to define what a human being is worth. That is the achievement of France that outlasts everything else.

Asher

Jerome Marot

The original argument was not about what language we should use to say that we edit an image on the computer but that photoshop, as a program, has become a quasi monopoly for the professional image editing market.

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

I am not too old to learn, but let me assure you, this is an idea that's not had much of any light of day in the U.K. or the USA in the past 50 years, to the best of my knowledge - something that I've personally never come across before. Could very well be that my total ignorance of this it's a reflection of Anglocentric education. I know personal brave accounts of French resistance, but have no way of integrating that into a larger tapestry and give weights to what really moved history.

One of the most brilliant military ideas the Germans used, actually came from France! Charles De Gaulle's thesis of fast mechanized armor cutting through enemy lines, was one of the most important strategies used by Panzer units. That and some other tidbits does not constitute and real knowledge of what went on in France, beyond what we have been fed in movies. But I don't know much more of what happened in France under the yoke of Nazi Germany. The best recent challenging books are likely to be translated to English and I'll try to catch up. There's a lot of contrasting streams of reality to digest.

Taking from all previous discussions, France gave to Europe and thence the world, "The Universal Rights of Man". What more noble could a nation give to humanity as law backed by the power of the state and not dependent on charity? Hitlers Germany essentially sought to wipe out that notion. That I'm certain of.

Who was noble and who was not, is of far less importance than the struggle to define what a human being is worth. That is the achievement of France that outlasts everything else.

Asher
Bonjour Asher

Form: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Resistance

The French Resistance (French; La Résistance française) is the name used to denote the collection of French resistance movements that fought against the Nazi German occupation of France and against the collaborationist Vichy régime during World War II. Résistance cells were small groups of armed men and women (called the Maquis in rural areas),[2][3] who, in addition to their guerrilla warfare activities, were also publishers of underground newspapers, providers of first-hand intelligence information, and maintainers of escape networks that helped Allied soldiers and airmen trapped behind enemy lines. The men and women of the Résistance came from all economic levels and political leanings of French society, including émigrés; conservative Roman Catholics, including priests; members of the Jewish community; and citizens from the ranks of liberals, anarchists, and communists.
The French Resistance played a significant role in facilitating the Allies' rapid advance through France following the invasion of Normandy on 6 June 1944, and the lesser-known invasion of Provence on 15 August, by providing military intelligence on the German defenses known as the Atlantic Wall and on Wehrmacht deployments and orders of battle. The Résistance also planned, coordinated, and executed acts of sabotage on the electrical power grid, transportation facilities, and telecommunications networks.[4][5] It was also politically and morally important to France, both during the German occupation and for decades afterward, because it provided the country with an inspiring example of the patriotic fulfillment of a national imperative, countering an existential threat to French nationhood. The actions of the Résistance stood in marked contrast to the collaboration of the regime based at Vichy.[6][7]
After the landings in Normandy and Provence, the paramilitary components of the Résistance were organized more formally, into a hierarchy of operational units known, collectively, as the French Forces of the Interior (FFI). Estimated to have a strength of 100,000 in June 1944, the FFI grew rapidly, doubling by the following month, and reaching approximately 400,000 by October of that year.[8] Although the amalgamation of the FFI was, in some cases, fraught with political difficulties, it was ultimately successful, and it allowed France to rebuild a reasonably large army (1.2 million men) by VE Day in May 1945.[9]

Just for your info, as we're completely OT!

Asher Kelman

Bonjour Asher

Form: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Resistance

Just for your info, as we're completely OT!

Nicolas,

You are kind and appropriate to correct the dismissive and mistaken impression I came across as giving. I grew up in the blitz. We thought of the flying bombs and all the piles of rubble around our homes, the giant barrage balloons and spotlights to block and track the bombers. The intensity of destruction and suffering around us and then after the war the constant supply of heroic British exploits, became a membrane that made a bubble of ignorance around us. The narrative included partisans helping the British pilots escape capture, and not a lot more.

The men and women of the Ma[r]quis* were very brave and remarkable indeed. I have a deep and personal knowledge of their valor and sacrifice. I'm rightfully shamed and apologize as I reorientate myself to the reality on the ground for the contributions the partisans made to the ultimate success of the allied effort.

Asher

*See Jerome's note below

Jerome Marot

The men and women of the Marquis were very brave and remarkable indeed.

I'll correct the misspelling, because it is actually quite amusing. It is maquis, without "r". "Marquis" is a title of nobility. "Maquis" is an impenetrable area of shrubby mediterranean vegetation, quite convenient when someone wants to hide from authorities. "Prendre le maquis" just means to go and hide in the wild and, by extension, people from the French "resistance" were called "maquisards".

As to the importance of the French "resistance" to the ultimate demise of Germany, let us just say that not everybody agrees on the terms of that Wikipedia article.

Asher Kelman

I'll correct the misspelling, because it is actually quite amusing. It is maquis, without "r". "Marquis" is a title of nobility. "Maquis" is an impenetrable area of shrubby mediterranean vegetation, quite convenient when someone wants to hide from authorities. "Prendre le maquis" just means to go and hide in the wild and, by extension, people from the French "resistance" were called "maquisards".

As to the importance of the French "resistance" to the ultimate demise of Germany, let us just say that not everybody agrees on the terms of that Wikipedia article.

Jerome,

Well that makes much more sense! I had always imagined some mysterious legendary figure, like a "Batman" of noble birth who was a mastermind behind the scattered groups of the resistance.

My spelling in English is not perfect eityher, LOL!

Asher

Asher

I think this just about sums up my thoughts on this unfortunate news.

I've upgraded to every new addition of PS through the years. The improvements of CS6 over CS5 were worthwhile, but only just, and I began to feel a bit like a gerbil on the upgrade wheel. Adobe's cloud decision will finally put a stop to this upgrade madness for me. Other vendors may now have the motivation to fill the void. In the meantime, CS6 will have to do.