• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

British Bull Dog

Ha Ha! Bet you weren't expecting this :)

british_bull_dog_by_tricky_trees-dajtd1c.jpg

This bull dog, clearly loved and cherished by its owner, is 14 years old and going strong. It lives in Northwestern Ontario, Canada, survives winters without a 'kennel', and remains rust-free. Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, you totally had me taken in for a split second. why this should be called a British Bulldog, escapes me, as I would have though a Landcover would have been more the make than a north American truck!

Asher

Yes, you totally had me taken in for a split second. why this should be called a British Bulldog, escapes me, as I would have though a Landcover would have been more the make than a north American truck!
Asher

I have no idea either, Asher. The owner is a young man, very proud of his vehicle, with no trace of a British accent. The name seemed appropriate to me because it evokes cognitions about strength, persistence, obstinacy - a Churchillian Britishness - regardless of where the truck was made. So I chose not to ask him for reasons. Had I taken a photo of the back of the truck, you'd have seen a gleaming chrome bulldog's head attached to the trailer hitch. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have no idea either, Asher. The owner is a young man, very proud of his vehicle, with no trace of a British accent. The name seemed appropriate to me because it evokes cognitions about strength, persistence, obstinacy - a Churchillian Britishness - regardless of where the truck was made. So I chose not to ask him for reasons. Had I taken a photo of the back of the truck, you'd have seen a gleaming chrome bulldog's head attached to the trailer hitch. :)

I have come to like the folk that drive these very practical vehicles. The inside are quite roomy and accommodate a family well. The utility of being able to also haul anything rough or dirty is perfect, far better than my BMW sports activity vehicle, even with all its "appointments", LOL.

Let's see the bulldog on the back now!

Asher

I have come to like the folk that drive these very practical vehicles. The inside are quite roomy and accommodate a family well. The utility of being able to also haul anything rough or dirty is perfect, far better than my BMW sports activity vehicle, even with all its "appointments", LOL.

Let's see the bulldog on the back now!

Asher
Ok, will do when the owner brings the truck back from work. :)

Doug Kerr

This 1920 Mack chain-drive truck:

b5c0cf3beed77ade2d76f194ef24e9cc.jpg

did not sport the Mack "bulldog" hood ornament (the company adopted that symbol in 1922) but is still often spoken of by truck aficiandos as a "bulldog".

We see the real bulldog here:

FT%20Spring97%20170%20Mack%20Radiator.jpg

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Of special collateral interest to me is the telephone number on the truck, GLENDALE 1809W. The "W" is a party suffix used on "full-selective" four-party lines, where four electrically-distinct signals could be sent on the line, each of which would ring the ringer(s) at only one of the stations ("parties").

The four suffix letters used were J, M, R, and W, chosen for good distinctness when spoken but also to correspond to separate digits on the dial when used in dial service. (From the presentation of the number on the truck, almost certainly manual, rather than dial, service was involved here.)

Curiously, notwithstanding the great degree of standardization in the Bell Telephone System, the mapping of the party letters J, M, R, and R to the four electrical signals was not completely uniform over the different Bell operating telephone companies. Many "catastrophes" resulted from this.

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Nagel

Bulldog - like this?

Bulldog is a common word for tractor in Germany and Heinrich Lanz created the Lanz Bulldog brand in 1921.
The interesting feature of these tractors is the motor - a hot bulb engine.

Here is a Lanz 8ps Mops (Mops means Pug which is the model designation of this type of Lanz Bulldog):

Now seriously - this thread is IMHO a better fit for Architectural - Industrial.

Best regards,
Michael

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,
Bulldog - like this?

Bulldog is a common word for tractor in Germany and Heinrich Lanz created the Lanz Bulldog brand in 1921.
The interesting feature of these tractors is the motor - a hot bulb engine.

Here is a Lanz 8ps Mops (Mops means Pug which is the model designation of this type of Lanz Bulldog):

Very nice, and interesting. Thanks.

Now seriously - this thread is IMHO a better fit for Architectural - Industrial.

Well, indeed.

Best regards,

Doug