• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Europe Cold Spell!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
5263fbcf12878a.jpg

Photo: Luigi Costantini/ AP

This AP picture shows the romantic side of the white snow blanketing everything but the man holding the red umbrella carrying his own bubble of personal contentment and purpose despite nature. However, this is not reality!

BBC news reports how a low temperatures are wreaking havoc across Europe.

Snowstorms and sub-zero temperatures have killed at least 19 people across Europe as well as severely disrupting air, rail and road transport.
At least 15 people froze to death overnight in Poland as temperatures dipped way below freezing. In parts of Germany a figure of -33C was recorded.
Flights have been cancelled, train services have been severely affected and roads made impassable.
Eurostar passenger trains are still not running after electrical failures.
More than 2,000 people were trapped on the trains in the Channel Tunnel for up to 16 hours after condensation caused a series of electrical failures on Friday night.

Rachel Foster

Wow! That's -27 F. I remember a few times when it reached actual -20 (not windchill) here. It was COLD! Is that hitting the UK as well? I am under the impression England has a milder climate than the upper Midwest.

Mike Shimwell

Wow! That's -27 F. I remember a few times when it reached actual -20 (not windchill) here. It was COLD! Is that hitting the UK as well? I am under the impression England has a milder climate than the upper Midwest.

No, it's been -2 to -4C here in Yorkshire with a bit of snow. Unusual to get it before Christmas these days, but the children are enjoying!

Here are couple I've posted on (my new...) Northern Squares in the last couple of days.

Mike

Evening Snow - Mike Shimwell
20091218-r0010697.jpg

Home! - Mike Shimwell
20091218-r0010699.jpg

Arrival - Mike Shimwell
20091218-r0010710.jpg

Indeed, the UK has a climate with lots of influence from the surrounding water temperatures. You can get a quick idea of the current situation via http://360.org/ (temperatures in degrees Celsius).

No, it's been -2 to -4C here in Yorkshire with a bit of snow. Unusual to get it before Christmas these days, but the children are enjoying!

Here are couple I've posted on (my new...) Northern Squares in the last couple of days.

Nice images Mike! They do capture the situation quite well, it similar to the Netherlands right now. Yesterday was extremely cold (-18 C lowest temperature), but today was much more modest just a few degrees below freezing point.

Cheers,
Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
Yep, its been really cold, these days - we had - 16 degs Celsius last night, in center town - that's colder than during the last 45 years ever! Swiss record was yesterday - 34,2 degs Celsius, thats -29.56 F.

Its been cold enough in the afternoon, when I took the week-end's shots of the construction site - shifting the TSE 24 was impossible with gloves...

Even with my alpinist winter gear, I had to go and warm up after 1 1/2 hours of shooting, there were "ants" in feet and fingers.

Mike Shimwell

Bart, Michael

Somewhat parochially, I hadn't realised how cold it was across the channel. Reminds me of the old Time headline, 'Fog in channel. Continent cut off.'

I've a friend who is driving to Italy this week - I hope that she gets through OK. You all try to stay warm!

Rachel, it's easing tonight in the UK, but I'll have to check the forecast before travelling tomorrow.

Glad you liked the pictures.

Mike

Michael Fontana

pro member
Mike

your friend should be ok, here its still snowing right now - but it will get way warmer from Tuesday on.

So green Xmas in the lowlands, meanwhile I'll go a bit higher up, in the alps.....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Mike

Evening Snow - Mike Shimwell
20091218-r0010697.jpg

Mike,

This is a civilized and festive snowfall. There are no cars buried up to the windshield wipes, no folk having to dig out the driveway or plough the street to let in the oil tanker to keep the homes warm. There's just enough snow to allow playing and snowball fights and then one can still walk home.

I like these corners in the early hours of the morning for control skidding around the corner with the wheels turned a little and a jab on the gas pedal. On a large road in boston, where there was no traffic for miles, I'd do 360 degree turns, like dancing with the car. Never with other folk around but that' was decades ago when I was more wild!

Thanks for bringing back memories of the East Coast!

Asher

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

My friend in Lancaster said he's been wearing his 'Michigan' snow boots (he bought here during a visit last winter) the past few days, but had not yet dug out his snow pants!