• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5000 years

StuartRae

I'm not sure where this image belongs, of if indeed it belongs at all.

Combining the sarsen stones at West Kennet with St Mary's Church Chippenham. The two images seemed to fit together nicely, providing two forms of worship separated by 5000 years.

heaven-4.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
heaven-4.jpg

There's even the two tablets of stone!

Asher

BTW, what was that religion? Did it also have heaven-centric beliefs or can't we fathom that?

Last edited:

StuartRae

The religion was probably based on ancestor worship.
The West Kennet long barrow is a chambered tomb dating from 3500 BC. It was in use until 2200BC, when it was sealed with chalk rubble and the gigantic sarsen boulders that now guard the entrance.
Excavations in 1955-56 found at least 46 burials, ranging from babies to elderly persons. The bones were disarticulated with some of the skulls and long bones missing. It has been suggested that the bones were removed periodically for display or transported elsewhere with the blocking facade being removed and replaced each time.

(from various sources)

The big stone tries to hide the church but the church shines through it a bit. At least it does on my monitor. Does this mean that Christianity shines through ancient paganism?

Or are things more subtle? Perhaps the artifice of image manipulation mirrors the artifice of pitting one religion against another. Very clever if so!