• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EOS 20D etc - chart of CF04 implications

Doug Kerr

The Canon EOS 20D, 30D, 5D, and certain 1-series cameras have a Custom Function (Custom Function 4, "C.Fn-04" or "CF04") that allows customization of the effects of half press of the shutter release button and press of the "*" button on the execution of automatic exposure (AE) and automatic focus (AF) functions. Four settings are available. The entire scheme is complex, with the implications varying with the combination of metering, autofocus, and drive modes in effect.

I have prepared a chart that shows in considerable detail the implication of each of the four settings of CF04. I have just made it available on my technical information site, The Pumpkin, here (click on the title to access the document itself):

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#CF04chart

The chart itself is accompanied by a narrative synopsis of the implications of the four settings and a brief discussion of where and how each might be useful.

Thanks to the many correspondents who have assisted me in refining this chart during its development, and especially to René Damkot for his recent revelation to me of some subtleties I had missed during my testing and analysis.

The chart is wholly based on testing with the EOS 20D. The applicability of the chart to the other models mentioned above has been advised by various colleagues. There could well be subtle differences in the details among those models.

Note that in the "2007 models" of the various Canon EOS dSLRs (40D, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III), there is no direct equivalent to CF04, the various facilities for customization in the relevant areas being done in wholly different ways.

I'm sure I haven't yet discovered or correctly plotted all the mysteries in this area. I would of course be pleased to hear from any one who has any corrections or suggestions.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

As usual your work is very detailed and you have obviously put a lot of effort. I personally wouldn't normally read instructions in the manual more than needed to work the camera the way that gives me pictures I hope for.

I wish I was more calm and could sit through reading the 6 manuals to integrate my VCR and a host of other boxes to be able to use all the incredible options. Unfortunately it's so complex that even the cable company, after updating their box, has to return to get it right!

I will revist your analysis of CF 04 many times.

Thanks!

Asher

Jim Davies

Doug
I can't read your chart at the m,oment (work's firewall) but I note that you omitted the 350D and XTi from your list. I own a 20D and regularly borrow a 350D ((XT) and use CF4 on this when I have it.

Looking forward to reading your info though (when I get home).

Doug Kerr

I wish I was more calm and could sit through reading the 6 manuals to integrate my VCR and a host of other boxes to be able to use all the incredible options. Unfortunately it's so complex that even the cable company, after updating their box, has to return to get it right!

Thanks for your note.

We too are going through the "A-V integration" here at our new home, what with a modern large-screen DLP TV receiver (over a year old, but still not fully mastered!), three new small flat screen TV receivers, a two-receiver four-tuner satellite setup with DVR and HDTV capability, and a new audio system (whose FM tuner turns out to have less sensitivity than my two little clock radios).

Just getting all the stuff in the video chain to deal properly with the various aspect ratios in the various program material is a real challenge. (It is tragic that these chains can't figure out for themselves how to deal with that.)