• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Striking Sunsets, Getting beyond Postcard-Pretty or Merely Sentimental!

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Hi community!

I'm sharing here the pictures of my latest travel!

Wonderful Tree!

This image was taken next to the road, while going to who knows. I wanted to take a pic of the red stuff under the tree, but due that we trespassed a fence, I just lacked in courage to go closer ^^

DSC_3997.jpg

Km 915:

A route pic! I just found the little banner quite gorgeous ^^

DSC_4024.jpg

Atardecer en la estación:

Just in time, before the sun went to the other side, we stopped the car and shot here to these amazing tanks.

DSC_4028.jpg

And the last pic! It belongs to the same abandoned station:

Spectral Refraction.

DSC_4039.jpg

All pics edited only and only! in LR3.

Have fun!!!

Leo :)

PS: We finally found we were travelled around 500 Km or so, to Santiago del Estero, Argentina.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Leo,

We had to also have a copy of the set here as these uniquely show the 5th dimension, beyond time: sunset happening in time around a person's life.

Fasinating!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I shot a single sheet of film. It's drying as we speak. It will look very different from this.

I knew it! :) That's what I'd expect.

There was a famous photographer, I though it was something like Bosch, (I'll have to find it), who had a large camera custom built for him and travelled some hundreds of miles across the country to the one single location chosen for his assignment, to expose just several plates, (I believe it was an 11x14 camera!) and then returned home! He developed just one as a test. It was perfect, so he threw out the other undeveloped plates!

I have no doubt that your one sheet was perfect and you didn't need any backup!

Asher

Jim Galli

Ha ha ha, not nearly as macho as you paint me. Actually my intent was to shoot with 2 new-2-me antique lenses. A Dagor, and a rather rare Protar IIa. When I got there I discovered I'd left the lenses at home, so set up with the venerable Voigtlander Heliar and did this shot. This was within minutes of the first shot I posted. Maybe 5 minutes earlier. Very different in it's feel.

BandWHeliarS.jpg

model a ford in it's natural habitat

This is 6.5X8.5 format with 14" Heliar lens. 1/8th second @ 32 1/2. Film is Kodak Aerial recon Plus X at 125 asa.

Asher Kelman

OK, arm twisted and others more noble have posted yet better examples.....

CavinAndColeS.jpg

cole & cavin

In this, there's a charming reflection of trees in the rear panel of the motor car that adds a sense of belonging to the landscape. We don't see much evidence of the sun. Still, the light has model the 3 dimensional form of the 2 children within the interior space of the venerable car and the outside of the car is so well built it's hard to imagine we are not looking at the real thing.

Ha ha ha, not nearly as macho as you paint me. Actually my intent was to shoot with 2 new-2-me antique lenses. A Dagor, and a rather rare Protar IIa. When I got there I discovered I'd left the lenses at home, so set up with the venerable Voigtlander Heliar and did this shot. This was within minutes of the first shot I posted. Maybe 5 minutes earlier. Very different in it's feel.
BandWHeliarS.jpg

model a ford in it's natural habitat

This is 6.5X8.5 format with 14" Heliar lens. 1/8th second @ 32 1/2. Film is Kodak Aerial recon Plus X at 125 asa.

Jim,

I'm surprised to see the cars shadow so hard and below the car. The Ford is flatter in the image than the previous case. Perhaps it's due to the lens or else the light.

sher

Sunset in blatant black and white.

5191353290_6fe34998fc_b.jpg

Noosa Harbour, Winter Sunset

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 VC FB, image area 16.3cm x 21.4cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 lens and #25 red filter.

I did my last serious colour photography in 1977 and I don't feel like going back to it even for a gorgeous sunset. Whether a sunset is a subject that can be done with merit on monochrome materials is a moot point. I happen to think so.

Jim Galli

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 VC FB, image area 16.3cm x 21.4cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 50mm f4.5 lens and #25 red filter.

I did my last serious colour photography in 1977 and I don't feel like going back to it even for a gorgeous sunset. Whether a sunset is a subject that can be done with merit on monochrome materials is a moot point. I happen to think so.

Beautifully convincing Maris.

Asher Kelman

5191353290_6fe34998fc_b.jpg

Noosa Harbour, Winter Sunset

"Mission accomplished", Maris!

You put the sun, otherwise hidden by trees, in the water. The line to the boat is lyrical. Great touches in the verticals to counter the sweep of the scene. Yes, this works for me too!

Asher

You put the sun, otherwise hidden by trees, in the water. The line to the boat is lyrical. Great touches in the verticals to counter the sweep of the scene. Yes, this works for me too!
Asher

Asher, nothing gets past you! The key to the scene is putting the sun and the "hot" patch of sky behind the tree. Once that is done film exposure can be increased to catch nuances of detail in the dark tones. The red filter lifts the pink luminous edges of the clouds to give them a little extra drama. Finally a gentle graded burn was given to the sky whilst being careful to stop short of the black sky - white reflection absurdity.

Rachel Foster

Maris once commented on a photo of mine that to make a sunset shot work, you need more than pretty colors; you need something of interest as well. This shot, in black and white, nicely demonstrates that point.

Asher Kelman

Was thinking of posting this picture in B&W, but went for color. I think I'll shoot this on film.

[Group 5]-_MG_9417__MG_9418-3 images0001 FLAT.jpg

Asher Kelman: The Rodeo collection, Rodeo Drive Beverly Hills

Sigma 8mm 5DII, stitched in Autopano Giga

Asher Kelman

Sunset on Rodeo Drive

[Group 5]-_MG_9417__MG_9418-3 images0001 FLAT_BW.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sunset on Rodeo Drive"
Rodeo Drive, Sigma 8mm 5DII, stitched in Autopano Giga

"Torso": sculpture by Robert Graham, 2003, located in and centered on Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, CA

"A gift to the City of Beverly Hills. Commissioned by the Rodeo Drive Committee on the inauguration
of the Rodeo Drive Walk of Style/Beverly Hills. Honoring legends of fashion and style, June 11, 2003"

Mark,

Are you more comfortable now?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Themes should flow from one picture to the next. To keep this thread fast-moving, I've put discussion of my Rodeo Drive picture here.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher Kelman said:
Gates with barbed wire fascinate me!

_MG_2478-2 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sunset Behind Wire

Hi, Asher,

Gemütlichkeit macht frei!

Best regards,

Doug

A great observation ndeed! But is emütlichkeit the delusion of the person said to be, or confessed to be "in comfort" or ourselves, the observers who read the signs above the gates and just continue making pies, pastries and and sausages and go on their merry way?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

A great observation ndeed! But is emütlichkeit the delusion of the person said to be, or confessed to be "in comfort" or ourselves, the observers who read the signs above the gates and just continue making pies, pastries and and sausages and go on their merry way?[/QUOTE]

It was just a word play on the infamous sign!

By the way, did you know that the "B" in that sign (it was, very un-German-like, in all upper case) was intentionally put on upside down by the inmates who installed the sign, as a subtle sign of disobedience. It stayed that way.

image-42606-galleryV9-svql.jpg

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

A great observation ndeed! But is emütlichkeit the delusion of the person said to be, or confessed to be "in comfort" or ourselves, the observers who read the signs above the gates and just continue making pies, pastries and and sausages and go on their merry way?

By the way, did you know that the "B" in that sign (it was, very un-German-like, in all upper case) was intentionally put on upside down by the inmates who installed the sign, as a subtle sign of disobedience. It stayed that way.

Best regards,

Doug

image-42606-galleryV9-svql.jpg

When I made my own picture of the barbed wire at sunset, I had in my mind the horrible vision of the gates of an extermination camp!

Asher Kelman said:
Gates with barbed wire fascinate me!

_MG_2478-2 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sunset Behind Wire

Hi, Asher,

Gemütlichkeit macht frei!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher

Michael Nagel

Maybe an unusual setting, but I believe that it fits in here:

A almost drove past this, but stopped fortunately. I immediately liked the combination of reflected sunset and bus stop.

Best regards,
Michael

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hey Asher, I sais shot for commercial!
This means that the shot was prepared…
We did chose the beach I shot from the day before, set the desired distance of the boat from beach, checked the exact time for sun being in the right place and came back the day after for the real shoot! (of course we were all the time talking with the boat by radio).
For the rest there is absolutely no trick… That was a real sunset! (very usual in the Bahamas ;-)

A few seconds before (the girl at the bow wasn't ready…):

91AU8839.jpg