• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographer of Interest - Selected by Editor: Invitation: "Photographer of the Week!"

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'd like to commend to you the new feature of OPF, Photographer of the Week.

This far their are two. They'll be found in url=http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85]"Breaking News"[/url]. The photographers chosen are generally part of some ongoing exhibition in a major gallery. I'll try my best to distribute the locations of the galleries all over the world according to where we have OPF members. So expect to find a featured photographer in a city near you. At least, we should be able to sample some of the most outstanding photographic work. This week it's the poetic photography of Pentti Samalldahti shown in Los Angeles and last week it was Bill Armstrong from an exhibition in New York. Coming Next will be a favorite museum in Munich, Germany showing wonderful work from England.

You're invited, begged and implored to go the the referenced sites and choose and copy the URL to repost in that thread your own newly discovered favorites or one's you've always admired. Add insights you feel and stories you've come across.

Also, please don't hesitate to PM me with your own suggestions for featured photographers when you can find an exhibition or a new book of their work. Just say why they're important to be shown!

So what do you think of this addition to OPF? It's a lot of work and it requires your involvement to make it alive! So your support is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Gillian Wearer, "Photographer of the Week!"

Our latest choice for photographer of the week is a much admired British photographer who's retrospective exhibition is about to open March 19th 2013 in Munich, Germany. Her pictures are often staged and she used written disclosures, masks and any other stratagem she can get away with to turn upside down the proper British respect for boundaries of privacy. She is ruthless in probing what we really think and worry about while carrying a cool attitude and "getting on with life". Explore the pictures and sources I've discovered and leave your own feedback and your own favorites.

I commend to you Gillian Wearer! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Each of the photographers here will show their own unique mix of achievement in craft, beauty, awe, surprise, photographic skill, design, composition, use of colors and tonalities and ideas or not! Some will be so poorly composed and focused you might dismiss them as amateurish, but hesitate before rejection. Look also at the way photography can be used to record a staged setup or enquiry to explore what might be beneath our facade of dignity and face.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Catherine Opie is our latest choice for Photographer of the Week. She's chosen for her mastery of the medium of photography, first using film, often 8x10 color and more recently using the Phase One IQ180 80 MP digital back on an H2 Hassleblad body.

I've taken a great liberty in dividing up photographs to my own pragmatic groupings from all the images in her current installation at Regen Projects Gallery, (the internationally renowned art gallery), in Los Angeles. This artificial segregation of images is made for the purpose of trying to get around a large impressive body of work, informed by great classic art, built on mastery of photographic technique and expressed in a variety of ways. So I begin by discussing the work in sections and then I'll try my best to present the works as integrated in the current impressively curated major exhibition. It must be considered as an artistic installation, as the experience is influenced greatly by exhibition space reflecting the art and the the placement of images and influences of one type of image on another. I also had the great privilege of hearing Catherine introducing her work and explain some of the relationships to recognize.

Please spend time and visit with Catherine's work and give your feedback. She's very accomplished, so you might be intimidated. Be brave!

Asher