• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Red Hat Society turns 15

Doug Kerr

The Red Hat Society is a US-based international social order for women over age 50 (although there is a class of membership for younger women).

The organization took its original motif and name from a poem by Jenny Joseph, which begins:

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
and continues:

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens​

and concludes:

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.​
The organization operates through local chapters, of which there are tens of thousands world-wide. In a large city such as Dallas, there might be 20 or more chapters, while in a smaller town like Weatherford, Texas or Alamogordo, New Mexico there may be only one.

Typically, at their "events" (never "meetings") the members may see a play or a movie, go to a museum, perhaps go along a nature trail or visit a historical farm.

At the events, the members wear a purple outfit and a red hat (except during the month of their birthday, in which case the color scheme is reversed).

The younger women wear lavender and pink, or vice-versa in their birthday month.​
The head of a chapter is called its queen, and the members usually adopt "royal" names, such as "Countess of Springdale".

Carla has been active in "Red Hatting" for over ten years, She began by joining a chapter in Dallas, and when she found it unsatisfying to herself and many of the members, she formed a new chapter there. When we moved to Weatherford, she joined the existing chapter there.

When we moved to Alamogordo, she found that there was no actual (chartered) chapter here, and so she founded one. The chapter is very active, and of course there are so many fascinating things to do here. (What other Red Hatters have a chance to visit the home where the first atomic bomb core was assembled, or to walk a trail along a field of black lava flow, or explore 900-year old petroglyphs?)

But yes, they then do go to lunch, and indulge in the official Red Hat Society activity for the good of our economy: shopping.

The first atomic bomb core was in fact assembled in what was until just shortly before then the bedroom of our current friend Clif McDonald - he owns, among many other things here, the barber shop where I get my hair cut.​

April 25, 2013 is the 15th anniversary of the founding of the Red Hat Society, and Carla had arranged for the Mayor of Alamogordo to issue a proclamation declaring that day to be Red Hat Society Day.

Recently, at City Hall, in the City Commission chamber, the mayor read the proclamation and presented the official copy to Carla. Three of her chapter members were there as well.

The ceremony was very nice. Here is a shot of the presentation:

RHS_F38151-01-C1A.-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea presents to Carla Kerr
the official proclamation of Red Hat Society Day

[Yes, the proclamation was stripped in from a scan; it washed out badly in the original shot.]

The bear is not the mayor's bodyguard, but rather that of one of the chapter members.

On the actual anniversary day, Carla and I will be in Atlanta, at the Annual International Convention of the Red Hat Society (timed that way). So the mayor deputized Carla to represent the City of Alamogordo at the official anniversary celebration. (I don't think may cities will have a deputation!)

Carla has also arranged for the Governor of New Mexico to issue a similar proclamation on behalf of the state.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Red Hat Society is a US-based international social order for women over age 50 (although there is a class of membership for younger women).

The organization took its original motif and name from a poem by Jenny Joseph, which begins:

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
and continues:

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens​

and concludes:

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.​
The organization operates through local chapters, of which there are tens of thousands world-wide. In a large city such as Dallas, there might be 20 or more chapters, while in a smaller town like Weatherford, Texas or Alamogordo, New Mexico there may be only one.

Typically, at their "events" (never "meetings") the members may see a play or a movie, go to a museum, perhaps go along a nature trail or visit a historical farm.

At the events, the members wear a purple outfit and a red hat (except during the month of their birthday, in which case the color scheme is reversed).

The younger women wear lavender and pink, or vice-versa in their birthday month.​
The head of a chapter is called its queen, and the members usually adopt "royal" names, such as "Countess of Springdale".

Carla has been active in "Red Hatting" for over ten years, She began by joining a chapter in Dallas, and when she found it unsatisfying to herself and many of the members, she formed a new chapter there. When we moved to Weatherford, she joined the existing chapter there.

When we moved to Alamogordo, she found that there was no actual (chartered) chapter here, and so she founded one. The chapter is very active, and of course there are so many fascinating things to do here. (What other Red Hatters have a chance to visit the home where the first atomic bomb core was assembled, or to walk a trail along a field of black lava flow, or explore 900-year old petroglyphs?)

But yes, they then do go to lunch, and indulge in the official Red Hat Society activity for the good of our economy: shopping.

The first atomic bomb core was in fact assembled in what was until just shortly before then the bedroom of our current friend Clif McDonald - he owns, among many other things here, the barber shop where I get my hair cut.​

April 25, 2013 is the 15th anniversary of the founding of the Red Hat Society, and Carla had arranged for the Mayor of Alamogordo to issue a proclamation declaring that day to be Red Hat Society Day.

Recently, at City Hall, in the City Commission chamber, the mayor read the proclamation and presented the official copy to Carla. Three of her chapter members were there as well.

The ceremony was very nice. Here is a shot of the presentation:

RHS_F38151-01-C1A.-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Alamogordo mayor Susie Galea presents to Carla Kerr
the official proclamation of Red Hat Society Day

[Yes, the proclamation was stripped in from a scan; it washed out badly in the original shot.]

The bear is not the mayor's bodyguard, but rather that of one of the chapter members.

On the actual anniversary day, Carla and I will be in Atlanta, at the Annual International Convention of the Red Hat Society (timed that way). So the mayor deputized Carla to represent the City of Alamogordo at the official anniversary celebration. (I don't think may cities will have a deputation!)

Carla has also arranged for the Governor of New Mexico to issue a similar proclamation on behalf of the state.

Best regards,

Doug

Carla is so beautiful and lively and amazingly takes attention from your lovely mayor. What a wonderful splash of color to add to the new community. did these other members have to drive in or they happen to live there too?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Doug,

I did not know about this society - so my first mental link went elsewhere (existing even a bit longer than the similar-named society).

Thanks for showing and the explanation!

Best regards,
Michael

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Carla is so beautiful and lively and amazingly takes attention from your lovely mayor.

Thank you. They are two way cute girls.

What a wonderful splash of color to add to the new community. did these other members have to drive in or they happen to live there too?[/QUOTE]

They are members of Carla's chapter, and live either in Alamogordo or nearby. Several of the members live in nearby "mountain" towns (That is of course its own subculture.)

A sub-subculture is the Downwinders, so called because they were (or were descended from those that were) downwind of the first nuclear explosion. None of the ones we know glow in the dark (but then we don't often see them in the dark).

Ooh! That was just a shot on the rocket sled track at Holloman Air Force Base. A little one - sounded like about Mach 3-4. Poo! We hear each one four times (owing to reflection from the mountains). But that is a story for another time.

Speaking of elevation, it is fascinating that the elevation right here at my desk (4580 ft MSL) is within 5 feet of:

• The official elevation of Tombstone, Arizona (where we were recently - I have to post some shots of the adventure there) (4585 ft MSL)

• The official elevation of the Continental Divide where it is crossed by Interstate 10 ("the 10", in Californian) (also 4585 ft MSL)

Much to contemplate here!

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Congrats to the RHS for their official day. Carla looks very nice as usual, but the mayor is also a nice looking lass. :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Congrats to the RHS for their official day. Carla looks very nice as usual, but the mayor is also a nice looking lass. :)
She is indeed, and she is dong many things to move this sleepy little desert town dramatically forward.

Carla too, of course!

Best regards,

Doug