• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Signs of our times

StuartRae

Found at a school in Seattle while visiting my son.
I've always thought that Seattle was a rather civilised city, and especially the Ballard/Phinney Ridge area where these images were shot.

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

And on a slightly lighter note:

IMG_1318.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
And on a slightly lighter note:

IMG_1318.jpg

Stuart,

OMG, they're so particular to mention one kind of pigs. It implies others that are not so gross animals would be allowed in by the bouncers at the club. How about slim lady piglets in tights?

Asher

Great idea and photos here! The post isn't presented as a challenge, but you've indicated you don't mind additions, Stuart. So, what the heck, here's a sign listing park regulations in eastern rural Iowa.

original.jpg

Oh, Never Mind​

StuartRae

Hi Tom,

Isn't bureaucracy wonderful? By the time you've read the notice your parking ticket has expired.

The post isn't presented as a challenge....
It was originally intended to express my sadness that a school should feel the need to declare itself a 'weapons free zone', but perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised.

We'll now declare it to be a Challenge, so do any more of you have amusing signs?

Regards,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

The whole ocean?

I know the storm on the East Coast promises to be terrible, but this seems a little presumptuous on the part of the authorities:

r-HURRICANE-SANDY-SPLASH-huge.jpg

from Huffington Post​

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Nagel

Doug,

Great find and yes, it is a stretch. Funny and sad. Beach closed would have been sufficient...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

I got 100m from home on my evening walk today and came across this sign.

The sign is a great find! Do they have piles of different phrases printed, ready to respond to any emerging thread, like, "This water has not be certified to be free toxic waste" or "Big bird observed here by a 4 year old!" and the like!

Besides the sign, the sky, water and grass make for a pilfering nice landscape anyway! :)

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
We do take our wildlife seriously here, Asher. This small body of water is along the migration path for crocs during the Wet. Its not the first time one has been spotted and it won't be the last. A small croc was removed from an adjoining lake only last month.
Moments after I took this shot(s) 2 kids started playing in the water only a meter or 2 from the sign. I can hear their mother now. " .....and if you get eaten by a croc don't come complaining to me."

I got 100m from home on my evening walk today and came across this sign.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that one, it made me remember a warning sign I saw at least a decade ago. It was positioned on the border of a moat that surrounded an estate with a drawbridge. The sign stated: "Swimming allowed. Feeding the crocodiles prohibited.".

BTW, crocodiles do not exist in the wild in the Netherlands.

Cheers,
Bart

Martin Evans

Darkest Norfolk

Seen by the roadside a few years ago somewhere in East Anglia.

Goodness knows what abominable tribal rituals survive there, among the descendants of Queen Boudicca and her Iceni warriors.

catseyes.jpg

Snapped in a hurry on a little Olympus 'point-and-shoot'.

Martin

Asher Kelman

Martin,

This is hilarious! I heard that the guy who invented "cat's eyes" got very rich! I'd love to have such a patent today! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Lost on me I'm afraid Asher. Probably safer that way.
Romney's visits to Europe were market by mis direction and retractions that embarrassed his hosts and how campaign staff. So the Irish signs of contrary direction fit well with his journey to the White house!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Cats, lions, tigers, cougars beware!

Seen by the roadside a few years ago somewhere in East Anglia.

Goodness knows what abominable tribal rituals survive there, among the descendants of Queen Boudicca and her Iceni warriors.
Snapped in a hurry on a little Olympus 'point-and-shoot'.

catseyes.jpg

Martin,

One of the best ever. Stuart was here today so I looked up this wonderful thread he started and this hit me! :)

Asher