• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Downloading images from camera

Chris Calohan

I have a Nikon D7000 and a herd of media cards but I'd like to be able to download these to a portable storage device but I don't have a port in-camera to do this with my WD portable HD. Does anyone know of a device that will handle this?

I have a Nikon D7000 and a herd of media cards but I'd like to be able to download these to a portable storage device but I don't have a port in-camera to do this with my WD portable HD. Does anyone know of a device that will handle this?

Hi Chris,

I use an older version Sanho Colorspace for on the road backup of my media cards. Here is a link to the newer model. They also sell them with different capacities harddisk already installed, but it can be cheaper to buy the drive locally and put it in the reader yourself.

This allows to backup one mediacard, while continuing the shooting with a new card in the camera, and it doesn't drain the camera's battery. You then later download from the Hyperdrive to the computer via USB.

I use my WD Passports to interface with the laptop or desktop computer (because it requires the 5V USB power source), not with the camera.

Cheers,
Bart

Good stuff, Bart... I'm ready to order it..do I need the usb accessory?

Hi Chris,

It comes with a USB cable that plugs into a regular USB2 interface of the computer. That allows for the fastest transfer between the ColorSpace's HD and your Computer.

The optional OTG adapter is for direct connection to an appropriate Tablet or Smart phone (and maybe a camera). You'll have to check what your equipment needs, some have their own OTG accessories.

When you buy a 5400rpm (faster ones may draw too much power) harddisk yourself, make sure it's a 9.5mm thick version otherwise it won't fit.

Cheers,
Bart

Jerome Marot

I have been successful at using various solutions with handhelds and 5V power supplies, OTG cables, etc... until I got myself a Macbook Air 11". Small, light and a full computer. Much faster at moving files around too.