• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What 35-50 mm lenses to use with high resolution sensor?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sometimes, taking whole body portraits, my 55mm 1.8 Sony "Zeiss" normal lens can't quite get the entire person in the frame, even with me backing up lose to my main light or the wall.

So I would like to go wider but what equally high resolution performer to use?

Any suggestions for a fabulously great lens to match the A7R in resolving power and the Zeiss in beauty of the image?

I can go as low as 35mm - any recommendations?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

I've enjoyed the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8 G ED lens immensely on my A7. The value it delivers against the low purchase price is truly excellent. It surprises me how ignored this Nikkor is (along with its sibling AF-S 85mm f1.8G) by the Sony A7x users.

Asher Kelman

I've enjoyed the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8 G ED lens immensely on my A7. The value it delivers against the low purchase price is truly excellent. It surprises me how ignored this Nikkor is (along with its sibling AF-S 85mm f1.8G) by the Sony A7x users.

Cem,

I think it may be because folk with Canon cameras were after the A7R for more pixels whereas the Nikon users could do that in a nikon body they're used to!

So a lot of Eos folk migrated and with that they were equipped with Eos to Sony FE Metabones auto adapter. Then one expands ones search to perhaps an M42 mount, as I did, as there are numerous vintage lenses for a song on eBay. I did that too, often inspired by Dr. Klaus Schmitt's excellent Spring
Then a few of us have collected Contax glass for our wide angle starved Eos cameras, a decade ago. So there's a C/Y to FE mount.

I did get a Nikon G to Eos mount, thinking I'd get the well-regarded 14-24 Nikon zoom, but that never happened.

So I will look at Nikon too.

I'd rather not have to get a new mount adapter. I was hoping that a reasonably priced vintage lens, say at an odd focal length like 40 mm might be available. There's a Schneider 40mm but I can't find a review.

I will try the Zeiss Jena 50mm Cassarat. I've been using it for flowers. That might work all. I also have a 50mm CY Planar.

I don't mind if the periphery has decreased contrast, I just want high MTF for the central 70% of the lens at say f 4.0

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sony has an excellent and quite compact 35mm f/2.8 in E-mount.

You really know your Sony lenses, Jerome!

Yes, that's an amazing lens, but mine vanished on a shoot 6 moths ago and I was trying to avoid spending once more close to $800 to replace it. Obviously it's a no-brainer if one has the extra cash.

I just discovered this 50mm shootout and really, I have under my nose pretty good performers if I am will ing to go to at least f2.8 or to f4.0 with either the Canon 1.2L, better still the Canon 1.4 or the Zeiss Contax 50mm 1.4 Planar.

This is like a fellow traveling around the world to find some treasure when he returns to realize that his own home has everything he needs.

Hopefully, going from 55mm to 50 mm might just give me the extra framing capability I need, but otherwise, I will have to get something in 35-40mm.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Hopefully, going from 55mm to 50 mm might just give me the extra framing capability I need . . .

Do recall that often the "labeled" focal length may not actually be attained, or at best (for the more serious lenses) may only be attained for focus at infinity.

It would be disappointing to spend a lot of money on a new lens labeled "50 mm" rather than "55 mm" and find that at the focus distance where you will be using it it affords almost the same field of view.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

I just discovered this 50mm shootout

These lenses will not help you if you need a 35mm. If you want a lens in Canon mount, need a just bit wider than 50mm and cheaper than the Sony 35mm f/2.8, consider the Canon EF 40mm 1:2,8 STM or the older Canon 35mm f/2.0.

As to the price of the Sony 35mm f/2.8 in E-mount, maybe its price will go down now that there is a 35mm f/1.4 available.