• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Greetings for Ramadan, Rosha Hashanah and the Ethiopian 3rd Millenium.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tonight we wish everyone peace, love and spiritual uplifting. We are just one people: humanity.

Ramadan, is a holy month observed by Muslims world wide, fasting from dawn to dusk. It recognizes the revelation of the Koran to Muhammad, the Prophet. During this time, Muslims fast, feast, worship and pray. It is a unifying time for diverse peoples to contemplate and to improve humanity.

Rosh Hashana is observed by Jews everywhere marking the beginnng off the New Year, which, like Armenian Christians, Muslims and others depend on lunar not Gregorian (solar Calenders).

For Jews, Rosh Hashanah is a time for both celebration and contemplation of man's dealing with his own person, family and the society and world in which we are blessed to live. The ram's horn is sounded many times to stir congregations to face issues other than entertainment and material worth. From this time there are ten days to consider and repent and correct one's behavior before the most solemn day, Yom Kippuir, when Jews must confess transgressions and plan how they will be a better person.

These two seemingly diverse religions, start the festivals tonight at sundown. Both adhere to strong concepts valuing life, charity and good deeds.

Ethiopia has a long history of civilization. Now there is the 3rd Millenium of that area. It's really complicated but in a way reflects the hot feelings facing Muslims and Jews and the paradox of having fine values and being human!

The Python said:
Che,
What you are talking about is inconsistent. Ethiopia's having 100,1000,10,000yrs of history has nothing to do with the millennium we are going to celebrate. According to Eth.hist.101, the present Ethiopia has a 100 yrs history. For instant, during the Axumite time, there was the Axumite Kingdom, then the Solomon dynasty/kingdom came, next the Gondarian kingdom. All these kingdoms never administered the whole region of the present Ethiopia and never had been called Ethiopia. Most regions of Oromia had their own independent sultans/rulers; for example, in Jimma, Bale, Arsi and Harerigi. It is more or less under Minilik that the present Ethiopia is born. History goes like this : Menelik's regime was hampered by stubborn drought ("kifu kene" starvation), and he conquered the southern and south-eastern regions of the present Ethiopia to secure food. Perhaps you have read or heard about King Tona of Wolayeta who fooled Menilik with a lot of cows in the plain field.(Don't tell me that all these are fabricated by woyannes!)

Anyway, It doesn't matter much whether we have 3000 or 30 yrs of history (unless we are historians who make our lives out of it). Well we could have said we have 3,500,000,000 yrs of history since Lucy if figure matters most! What is important is the question are we living a decent life right now? Can we feed ourselves without the help of the giant Bulls, can we sustain a long lasting peace? Is it possible to build harmony and respect among the people, can we build tolerance among ourselves, Can we leave a better situation for the next generations?

I read a new ironic definition for a philosopher , it says a fool who torments himself in his life time, to be praised after his death. It is pretty much the same, you are happy to accept this poverty-stricken country as it was and is as long as her 3000yrs history is acknowledged. Try to make history; but don't be slave of history.

Hm, for me, Ethiopia is not only the land but also more importantly the people known under that name. I don't support a blind connection with the NAME, and the FLAG which is supposed to represent the people. It is shame to see people trying to make us slave of the name of the country and its flag (What an obsolete ideology!).

For me, the flag is chosen to represent us. So, basically it can be changed if there is a good reason to do so. By the way, The present flag is adopted from Ethiopian orthodox church by the old kings to connect themselves with the church and the King Solomon genealogy, that is why some of us are so sensitive about the flag!). To be honest, I don't oppose to unite Ethiopia with Somalia, Kenya, and other countries and consequently lose the present name as long as we get a long lasting and better benefits out of the deal. Or shall we die for the name and the flag? You have your own choice! However, I want to underline that still we can do our best with out changing the name of the country and the flag to improve the lives of Ethiopians; hence our country Ethiopia. Let us give priority to the people and then to the flag and the name which represent the people!
Hm, Have I tormented myself? I don't think so!
Source

From everyone at OPF, we extend our good wishes as you celebrate your calendars and value each other. If we can do this, the prayers of the entire world will be answered!

Inch Allah and Shalom!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Happy New Year

In the United States, Jewish families will gather finalizing a meal with some Honey cake to symbolize wishes for a sweet new year. A time for reflection and a time for peace.

To My OPF family - I wish a Sweet New Year filled with peace and happiness.