• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I got fiber!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Fiber???

As in DSL? SDSL? Faster then a speeding bullet? We're cable people on this end of town...Always fast and reliable. (For those of you who don't know, Nik and I are about as close to neighbors - maybe 5 miles if that, apart) as you can hope for on OPF)

Initially I had Verizon aDSL (1.5/0.3), a couple years ago I replaced it with Adelphia cable (3/1), some time ago it became Time Warner cable (5/1) and yesterday finally upgraded to fiber optics at 15/2.

Anil Mungal

Finally Verizon made its move and hooked us up to it FiOS.
As of yesterday I'm surfing 15 down, 2 up :)
At home, in Bordeaux, DSL2:
Attainable bitrate 1352 kb/s (up) 22813 kb/s (down) 8-O)

Nik doesnt state his units, so I'm sure thats why there is a large discrepancy. I assume its Megabits/s which makes 15000 (or 15360) kb/s download and 2000 (or 2048) kb/s upload. Comparable numbers that are somewhat closer in magnitude now.

Nik doesnt state his units, so I'm sure thats why there is a large discrepancy. I assume its Megabits/s which makes 15000 (or 15360) kb/s download and 2000 (or 2048) kb/s upload. Comparable numbers that are somewhat closer in magnitude now.

Yeah, I better do clarify:)

Box on my wall in the garage:

207830852-L.jpg

Saturday Speedtest.Net test results:

HTH

Nicolas,
that's pretty good!

Here's my LA test from work (would be nice to have that at home):

and here's from work to Paris:

I guess transatlantic can get even the best of us :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Wow! not bad at all!

It's a pitty that in France upload is kept low… I guess they don't want people to send to many "heavy" mails or being able to set-up fast FTP servers at home (to protect bandwidth, but also PtoP)…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well,

With Cable, we have a download of 3901 and an upload of 463 kb/sec, home through WIFI, so unless I was runnig a server, the fiber would be a downgrade!

Asher

Well,

With Cable, we have a download of 3901 and an upload of 463 kb/sec, home through WIFI, so unless I was runnig a server, the fiber would be a downgrade!

Asher

Man, you're apparently at 4/0.4 mbps now, I can's see how come swithing to 15/2 mbps (i.e. 4-5 times faster) is a downgrade..
BTW, "business" rates start from 20/5 and go up to 50/5.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Man, you're apparently at 4/0.4 mbps now, I can's see how come swithing to 15/2 mbps (i.e. 4-5 times faster) is a downgrade..
BTW, "business" rates start from 20/5 and go up to 50/5.
Yes you're correct from the math standpoint but hey, we have gourmet bits here!

Still, how much does this proletarian service cost?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Not for us

We have the service at the office through Time Warner and it's the same price as the house but much faster. When I finish these blasted tax things, I will run the speed test here.