• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Finding that special girl to photograph: Mila my new muse!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Things just happen!

A muse provides inspiration. Today on the way to catch the tail of the Art in the Park Exhibition in Beverly Hills, I noticed the police had new electric standup chariots! Then I saw her!

Here name is Mila! She's a a talented artist and by chance she needs photographs by roses. So we'll work together.

_MG_6854_Muse1.jpg

More to follow!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Dog decided he could not mate with the chariot so left! Got the Mila to pose by Ben Hur! Tomorrow will post them here!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So I asked if I could take pictures next to the wonderful Beverly Hills Police (known for their good manners and arrival in less than 2 1/2 minutes!

_MG_6867_Muse2.jpg

© Asher Kelman (Do not copy or download)

For sure the cops were unintimidating.

Asher

Thanks Ray for identifying the vehicle. I still think it would be great done up as a Ben Hur charriot!

That has got to be the most beautiful cast I have ever seen!

I think I like the first picture better - all the elements keep my mind and eye busy (distraught woman, man with dog, cop on a whichamathingy from the future) - but she is much more flirtatious in this one!

Some of the civil servants in Chicago ride around on Segway's near Millennium Park...

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Free Tranform Tool!

Nik taught me the free transform tool...but for architecture, not open mouth police that are faster than a speeding bullet on three wheels.

Asher Kelman

Enough of the guy! This is one special lady. I believe she is going to be great. Great people can be high maintenance. I think she'll be worth it!

ISO 250 F 5.0 1/250 second Canon 5D

_MG_6858_MUSE_3.jpg

© Asher Kelman (Do not copy or download)

Remember this is before an introduction. Now you know why am a happy guy!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Clayton,

I suspected you'd support my choice! I like the fact that she is not prepared for a shoot and it is shot ad hoc with no extra lights or reflectors. This is a special experience of spontaneity that is not lost even in the last posed shot. Remember, she has never set eyes on me and my camera before! Look out how she presents herself in the last photograph!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So she has her left foot in a cast. As you can see, Mila has painted it. In fact her apartment is full of her large paintings. So we chatted and I just used my usual combo of the 5D wearing the 50 1.2 L

_MG_6956B&W Mila Seated_1 600.jpg

ISO 1600, f4.0, 1/40 sec No noise reduction.

Hope you enjoy the picture! Notice I was shooting directly into the bright light and how the lens handles it with panache! This lens is a gentleman's bespoke lens of choice! Very few lenses can give this character.

Asher

Last edited:
Very intimate, sexy.

It is interesting to see the progression of your relationship with this model, Mila.

This woman allowed you (what I consider) very intimate access in a short time. It will be interesting to see what this collaboration delivers!

Thank you for pointing out the more technical aspects of the photo though as I'm sure I would've missed them!

I really like the painting on the archway (foreground, right).

Asher Kelman

Edward,

Thanks for your following my work. Yes, a relationship with a model is very special. I really believe that a talented model is so important. Mila is a "natural: simply flows into new poses when I make suggestions. Still, she did not put on a special new wardrobe or make up and we just used tungsten available light with no reflectors or anything.

It's a huge challenge to work with very talented people on a long term as they are already busy with work and were not waiting necessarily for a new photgrapher. However, Mila does like my work and we do see collaberative possibilities. Even in the inititial trial shoot, she is an idependant knowledgable artist, but is fully open to my open ideas and direction.

She is a different class of person, highly educated and already an accomplished aritst who's paintings sell! So I do hope this will work out for both of us!

My pictures could not, IMHO be taken by any ordinary Canon lens.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Asher, I have to take issue

with you calling the 50 1.2 the Gentlemen's choice. {ahem} - I love that lens and I have not been called a Gentleman before.

Beautiful work.

Gerry Frederick

Hello Asher,
My name is Gerry Frederick, new member. Am I reading this correct? You bumped into these folks just by chance. And did you come to an arrangement with Mila to take her photograph. I agree that she is at first site a great model. The second photo proves that. I'm interested in the deal that was struck with a stranger for photographic purposes and what would be her claim if any to the proceeds. It is only an exercise with for me to find out what belongs to me and what I can be expected to share if and when I run into my Mila.
Thank you
Gerry

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher,
My name is Gerry Frederick, new member. Am I reading this correct? You bumped into these folks just by chance. And did you come to an arrangement with Mila to take her photograph. I agree that she is at first site a great model. The second photo proves that. I'm interested in the deal that was struck with a stranger for photographic purposes and what would be her claim if any to the proceeds. It is only an exercise with for me to find out what belongs to me and what I can be expected to share if and when I run into my Mila.
Thank you
Gerry

You cannot guide serrundipity or magnetism! If it happens, it happens! You just have to be prepared and know how to use your camera so well that the pictures show you can deliver what they dream of. In her case, she's an artist and needs pictures from which she paints. A warning: never ever lie or tell stories that you are something you are not! If you sense she is a victim in society, on drugs, tipsy or otherwise cannot defend herself from exploitation, avoid her/him like the plague! (S)he can be a passing street picture, but don't get involved! (S)he cannot bring you both anything but trouble. "Dont make someone elses tragedy your disaster."

In this case, there was an open air art show and she was watching as the police were chatting to folk about their new 3 wheeler chariots. I then crouched down and took pictures including her. She smiles so I waved her toward the policeman and took more. Then I showed her the pictures and she liked them. That's how it works. Still it mostly will not work since there are huge risks for both parties with strangers.

Her cast was beautifully painted, so I could see she was indeed talented. We both liked the pictures of her, so it was worthwhile and I called my wife and a friend so they would know where I was! I finished walking the art show and then popped over to take some preliminary pictures!

If you ran into her, she probably would not talk to you! The circumstance with the police being there in a public forum gave here comfort and some security. This incident is not something one can just copy.

Everything depends on your own personality and whether you can show you are trustworthy.

I worry little about the title and release. Either you get a good professional relationship, in which case a release is normal, or else it's a street photograph and a release is usually not needed.

Asher

BTW, welcome to OPF! :) Perhaps you might go to the Intro forum and tell us a little about yourself, your photography and any gallery you might have online?

Will_Perlis

Gerry,

I'll tell you that you also need Asher's personality to make this sort of thing happen. I've seen it happen between him and someone else, it's really magical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Gerry,

I'll tell you that you also need Asher's personality to make this sort of thing happen. I've seen it happen between him and someone else, it's really magical.

Thanks Will,

Truth be told, tone has to be passionate about wanting to shoot the person as well as not intimidating in the process. If one projects an unprofessional attitude then it wont work. So needs to be comfortable and not project anything but a professional interest and enthusiasm. Beautiful people can be intimidating. So the more you are infatuated, the harder it is! If one can narrow one's true motivations to photography, then it works. Bull doesn't!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
You can ignore Asher's humility too.... I've seen him charm the socks off a pretty girl in person, in the presence of his beautiful wife, and just about have her eating out of his hand. Asher, yes enthusiasm is helpful, but your smile and focus on the task at hand are quite alluring.