• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Advice is appreciated!

Rachel Foster

Even though my family's finances are a bit strained at the moment, I have a health issue that dictates some things are "now or never." I very much want to take my family to Italy, so flying in the face of what's prudent, we are going to Rome and Pompei in early March. If we don't go now, chances are good it's never. We;re going!

My daughter shows a great deal of promise as a photographer, and I am excited about the photographic potential myself. Keeping in mind my very limited abilities, does anyone have recommendations?

I have a Canon Rebel XTi with the stock 18-55 mm, a 75-300 telephoto (no image stabilization....someday!) and a 50 mm fixed portrait lens. I'll have a tripod with me, but camera shake is a real problem.

My daughter has a surprise in store for her: Kodak EasyShare Z1275 Digital Camera. It's a fairly versatile point-and-shoot I think.

Suggestions? Advice?

It sounds like what you have is fine. I think it's best when traveling to use what you're familiar with, so the equipment doesn't become a distraction.

Ray West

Hi Rachel,

Good on you. I expect you'll want a month or two at Pompei. You had better get down to some serious architectural photography practice ;-). btw, Vesuvius is long overdue.....

Best wishes,

Ray

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
My advice....

Go early in the day. Know that it's dusty and can get warm - even in the off season. Bring water to drink and something for the dogs. We had a wonderful guide. Plan to walk and climb steps. Once you are inside, you have to go back to the entrance to go to the Ladies room, so don't have too much cappucino. Don't miss Amalfi, Sorrento and Positano when you are there. It was spectacular. I could go back to Italy over and over and over again.

Typical street in Pompei:

large.jpg

And this is one of the Residents and Earthquake Monitors....He followed our tour from start to finish...I called him "Scout"
He was a German Shepherd with Bassett Hound legs....

large.jpg