• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Good one... LOL

In our own lower-budget staging of this test, we put the Crucial 32GB SSD into a portable FireWire enclosure, connected it to a Mac Pro desktop, started the transfer of about 2GB worth of Nikon D3 JPEGs, then shook the SSD madly. The transfer completed successfully and every photo landed uncorrupted.

That's the good news. The bad news - at least for us - is that the gyrating of the tester (me) caused the hard drive we'd taken out of the enclosure to shimmy to the edge of the desk and fall off. It hit the Mac Pro, followed by the metal base of an office chair, before finally coming to rest on carpet. The drive - a 250GB Western Digital Scorpio - seemed to be okay at first, but it now locks up hard when Apple's Disk Utility is set to zero out all the data during formatting, and that wasn't the case a few days prior to the Big Drop. (Update, April 10, 2008: Western Digital is sending a replacement drive at no charge - thanks Western Digital!)

Found at: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9309-9384

That chap is just too funny. SSD can be found in all kind of fighter planes since quite some time. How he can even think to be able to strain it more than a 11 G turn followed by an Immelmann is beyond my comprehension. LOLOL

Jörgen Nyberg

Thx George, made my morning :)

Shaking an SSD, BIG LOL :)

He was probably trying to shake the curcuits loose from the board ;-)

Ps Just had to check, according to Sandisk, they can withstand a 0,5msec shock between 1 000 and 1 500 G.

Ray West

Many years ago, Vauxhall cars in the UK, made a car named 'the Cresta' (or it may have been the 'Creda'). A guy I know of knew another guy who bought one, had to change a front wheel, and jacked up the front of the car. The windscreen glass cracked. The salesman in the showroom didn't believe it, until he took the jack out the boot of the showroom car, jacked that car, and broke the glass too. The story was that they had bought a cheap batch of steel that even Ford had rejected.

You are being naive, if you believe that Sandisk make 100% reliable ssd devices. Plus, look at the advertising content for wd, inherent in his tale. Now, what would your response be, if on shaking it, bits fell out, or something had moved whatever?

Sandisk are made in Korea, (not that that means much) but in my gps, I have to use some other brands, most any Japanese, such as Kingston, due to reliability/timing issues. It doesn't always work straight out of the box, never mind what the manufacturer will have you believe. It's all mass assembled tat, if some process is just off of adjustment, you can get a problem. None of it is tested thoroughly before sale, so how is the amateur reviewer expected to test it, if the manufacturer can't or won't?

The way it works, these days, is make it cheap, make it fast, sell at high price, replace the few that get reported for failing, and move on to the next version.

Most of the computer systems that are used in military aircraft have little in common with the domestic product, and generally has some sort of more stringent test procedures. I would be very surprised if they based a multi-million pound aircraft safety, plus crew, on a recently released cheap as chip domestic bit of electronic anything.

But the reviewer, whoever he may be, has reported what he did, both good and bad, which is far better than a lot of the stuff I used to read.

Best wishes,

Ray