• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for May 2008: Spring Trees in bloom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The boulevards are now showing of spring Blossoms. The parks have clouds of white pink of blossom under the branches. So share the pictures here.

If you happen to know the name of the tree, or something about it's habitat or where it originally comes from even better.

So let's see what's going on around you. At least this is an excuse to actually walk around to get the best pictures!

Asher

Ken Jackson

A Garland of Pink Dogwood Flowers

I shot this a couple of days ago. The temp has hit the mid 90's here for the past 2 days and the dogwoods are taking a beating. To me the dogwood has been a harbinger of better weather to come, and living here in the PacNW I sort of live for that...

295512687_XdS5f-L.jpg

I found myself more interested in the flowers than shooting the whole tree....

Asher Kelman

Ken, where is that? Also just for interest, do you also have some leaves? That's so folk can practice checking the classification of plants and flowers.

Asher

Home is where the blossoms bloom

I'm delighted to see this challenge! I've been making it a habit to venture north every May (this year and last) to Traverse City, from where my family originates.

These are some from this year, 2008:

blossoms2008-1.jpg

blossoms2008-2.jpg

blossoms2008-3.jpg

blossoms2008-4.jpg

Feel free to comment & critique.

Ken Jackson

Asher, this was shot in the town of Hubbard, OR. It is located between Canby and Woodburn in the Willamette Vally, about 25 miles south of Portland just off the I-5 corridor . I am including another Photo showing the leaves, I hope this is where you want it. I drove down to shoot it so you could have the leaves, Here are the best blossoms on the tree as all are totally burned by the 2 days of mid 90 degree temperature we have had.

When I was a child, the dogwoods would bloom while there was still snow on the ground. I don't think I will ever see that time again.

296804605_wbVQG-L.jpg

Sweet Cherries, all. The sours were beginning to come out while the apple trees were just starting to get leaves. I think the apples will begin blossoming this week. Since I'll be up in the neighborhood over Memorial, if I'm fortunate I'll be able to grabe a couple tail-end pics...

peterthompson

So let's see what's going on around you. At least this is an excuse to actually walk around to get the best pictures!

Asher

There's no way to compete with Ed Bussa's magnificent rows of cherry trees - so I didn't walk too far. This is the view from my kitchen sink...

p518579628-4.jpg

Leica M8, 50mm 2.0, 1/250s @ 5.6 (?)

This was a good year for the Sargent - usually the Kansas weather smites the crab and magnolias the first day or two they are in bloom. This year the trees looked like this for nearly two weeks.

Glad there is a thread where I can post the numerous pictures I take every year of the same stuff in my yard...

Peter

Asher Kelman

Jim,

Until I read about the swirling Verito lens I wondered how much wine I really did get down in the last 30 minutes. I shut one eye and the tree was still moving so I knew it was you and not the wine!

Ron Morse

Blossoms are finally here

I have been busy, busy, busy lately with little time for pictures. I got outside with the camera this morning just before the rain,

40D
Flek f/2.4 35mm

This is a pine tree s idea of flowering.

Same for the maple.

Cherry tree.