• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kliptown Street

Jerome Love

"As I was walking around in Kliptown, Soweto, South Africa to cover some of the projects the NGO I work for does."

3577035412_17cb62c020.jpg

3576230645_c41c7b7aeb.jpg

3585946387_b9e6615d16.jpg

For stories relating to these photos and more, please visit my blog and subscribe! C&C welcome.

Jerome

If you'd like to see some of the stories that I'm covering and what we do in South Africa please take a stroll over to my blog!

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jerome,

A simple digicam is sometimes all that's needed. It might interfere less with what you see. The challenge is to be able to visualize beyond the poverty, which although obvious is really superficial. The people on Soweto, despite hardships, have their work ethic, family values, loyalties, passions and hopes. You will see this from these children onwards. As an NGO a great advantage can be had if you are able to use one of the local workers to introduce you to a family. That way, with frequent repeat visits and building confidence, you will go far beyond tourist picture of rusty huts and open sewers.

I missed you posts initially and now I'll visit your website and catch up. Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Last edited:

Jerome Love

Jerome,

A simple digicam is sometimes all that's needed. It might interfere less with what you see. The challenge is to be able to visualize beyond the poverty, which although obvious is really superficial. The people on Soweto, despite hardships, have their work ethic, family values, loyal=ties, passions and hopes. You will see this from these children onwards. As an NGO a great advantage can be had if you are able to use one of the local workers to introduce you to a family. That way, with frequent repeat visits and building confidence, you will go far beyond tourist picture of rusty huts and open sewers.

I missed you posts initially and now I'll visit your website and catch up. Thanks for sharing!

Asher

That's what I've been thinking, I'm going to start taking my small medium format around instead. Buying a point and shoot here is ridiculously expensive, prices for electronics here are at least 20% more! I've been hunting for some used deals though. It's a great privilege to work with an NGO, Thursday I'll have an opportunity to meet some families and get to know them.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jerome,

When one visits Africa, a light goes on in one's psyche, as if one should have always been there. I have felt that too. I must now dig through my kodachromes and see if they are still scannable. I haven't been to Soweto but have been in similar places in Zimbabwe.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Jerome,

When one visits Africa, a light goes on in one's psyche, as if one should have always been there. I have felt that too. I must now dig through my kodachromes and see if they are still scannable. I haven't been to Soweto but have been in similar places in Zimbabwe.

Asher

Yes, yes, yes!! It is as though there is some sort of race memory that this land is home.

Jerome, good to see that you are well and hopefully enjoying the priviledge you have been given.

Mike