• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Two things I've come to like in other forums:

1. A so-called avatar beside one's post, that is a portrait of oneself.

2. A link Go to first unread message.

Possible?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Dierk,

The unread messages are already listed for you in the bar.as "New" Messages. Tell me if you can't find it.

The second part, I thought I easn't going to implement that. However, MT is sometimes a rebel!

Look at Andrew Rodney, "The digital Dog" he already has his avatar!

I would have you hold off on that as I promised the moment and let me discuss this on monday with Nicolas Claris who does the design.

I want to make sure we still look clean and not like certain other sites that get to be like Trafalgar Square in London or Times Square in New York.

I can see the obvious benefit in terms of self disclosure and making this as much as a personal real home.

Do you think the avatar for Andrew Rodney is the right size; too big, or too small?

Last edited:

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Alright, the "New Post" instant search is nice but not quite what I thought of; OTOH this forum is set to take us automatically to the newest message. So, that is taken care of somewhat.

Other than Andrew R. I thought of real portraits showing ourselves.

Let's see ...

There's two attachments, same image, different size. I'd say, the correct avatar size is the smaller one. I find the way My Opera does it quite good, you have one bigger portrait in your profile and another smaller one (the avatar) for postings.

Asher Kelman

Very nice, but can we hold off until I consult with the designer who at this moment is photographing somewhere in an ocean chasing a yacht!

Otherwise, we'll have 50 avatars and then to ask people to change/remove them is a pain.

Still, your picture looks handsome and fine. I like it!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher Kelman said:
Hi Dierk,

The unread messages are already listed for you in the bar.as "Nre Messages. Tell me if you can't find it.

The second part, I thought I easn't going to implement that. However, MT is sometimes a rebel!

Look at Andrew Rodney, "The digital Dog" he already has his avatar!

I would have you hold off on that as I promised the moment and let me discuss this on monday with Nicolas claris who does the design.

I want to make sure we still look clean and not like certain other sites that get to be like Trafalgar Square in London or Times Square in New York.

I can see the obvious benefit in terms of self disclosure and making this as much as a personal real home.

Do you think the avatar for Andrew Rodney is the right siz,e too big, or too small?

Hi all

I don’t think avatars brings any interesting information when spreaded all along threads.

It doesn't look very professional

I would suggest that we create a Selfportrait topic, so everyone could "show is face" and by the same time we could introduce a discussion about self portraiting that does exist for centuries...
I'm sure that Asher would be a great animator for this...

PS I have one ready to post! ------- Here: http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/DSC_7333_self_portrait.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I love that picture Nicolas!

Why don't we do exactly as you have suggested.

A self portrait topic.

Also one's self portrait could reside in one's own profile as well. So anyone looking for info would have a face to go with the writing, but the pictures wouldn't clutter the forum.

So let's do it! I'll add mine in between everything else!

Asher

Nicolas Claris said:
Hi all

I don’t think avatars brings any interesting information when spreaded all along threads.

It doesn't look very professional

I would suggest that we create a Selfportrait topic, so everyone could "show is face" and by the same time we could introduce a discussion about self portraiting that does exist for centuries...
I'm sure that Asher would be a great animator for this...

PS I have one ready to post! ------- Here: http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/DSC_7333_self_portrait.jpg

Asher Kelman

We take all suggestions and put them in the pot for any future rework of the interface. We have had great feedback!

After June 7th, we'll close this particular room," OPF, Look Feel and Vibe"! So any new ideas are welcome until then here and then afterwards from the front page.

Asher

"Also one's self portrait could reside in one's own profile as well."

Good Suggestion. Good Idea, Asher.

P.S. Thank you Asher, and Michael and the others who established this forum.

Ray West

Apple built their business on avatars or icons whatever. It is easier /quicker to associate something with a picture - duh, isn't that what art/photography is about, - and I think a small image at the top of a post would be fine . There is plenty of room to right of name. Also, perhaps a few basic smilies would be useful - nothing too exciting, just say happy, sad, puzzled, I'm joking, puzzled. It aids in getting meanings across culteral boundaries.

Also, to save starting a new thread in the next few hours - if Asher is dropping this topic room? Could we have the time of posting, as well as the date. In spite of how it may appear, I often spend considerabl;e time trying to explain exactly what I mean. During that time, there can be a number of other replies made by other folk - it won't stop that, not that I would want to, but at least I can see a bit better how th thread developed, and come back to say that I wasn't copying the three previous posts ;-) If I edit a post it shows the time.

Best wishes,

Ray

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Ray,

Sure, this makes sense. I asked Nicolas to close this forum at the end of today (in Bordeaux, France), but as is our policy nothing is ever deleted. Besides, I like every word!

I'll ask him what the way of making things clean and easy to follow is. We may just move this to the Cafe.

Any suggestion you have, PM in!

Asher

raymw said:
Apple built their business on avatars or icons whatever. It is easier /quicker to associate something with a picture - duh, isn't that what art/photography is about, - and I think a small image at the top of a post would be fine .
Also, to save starting a new thread in the next few hours - if Asher is dropping this topic room? ............
Best wishes,

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.