• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Predator and Prey Show and Tell

Mike Spinak

pro member
Let's do another show and tell thread, about predators with their prey. I'm hoping we can get a thread rolling for displaying and discussing lots of photos that include predators interacting with their prey.

Please, let's try to do the following:

1) Discuss what you show, so that we can all learn from each other's techniques and ideas;

2) Post only one picture per post, or one related series per post, in order to minimize confusion.

Like this:

[Hmmm... the picture doesn't appear to be loading, and I don't know what's wrong. I'll have to try posting it a different way, and that will have to wait until later. This may take a while. Sorry about that.]

Aggregating Anemone Catching and Eating a Red Crab

© Mike Spinak

Taken with a 180 mm f/3.5 lens mounted on a 1Ds Mark II, on a tripod, with a cable release, lit with a handheld flash. The exposure was about f/22, 1/250 of a second, to minimize ambient light, to prevent any reflections from the overcast skies.

This case doesn't have much of a story behind it, really. I went with a friend to the seashore to photograph the intertidal creatures in the low tide. I was working on my sea anemone project in the low intertidal zone, nearby to this anemone. The tide had turned... it was starting to come in, fast. My friend and I had pretty much decided we were done shooting for the day, because we had very little time left until we would be overtaken by the incoming tide, making this type of photography infeasible. And then we came across this scene of an aggregating anemone catching and eating a red crab. We see anemones eating crabs all the time, but it is still fascinating to see, both because it is not common in the general media, and because it seems so unlikely that an animal like an anemone... which appears so static... could successfully hunt crabs. This particular one caught our eye, because the crab was large in comparison to the anemone, and because the crab was colorful. Unfortunately, we had considerably less than 30 seconds left until the tide came in to this channel, but fortunately, I hadn't packed up my rig from the previous shot. I managed to set up and take this shot, tripod mounted, including manually adjusted focus, manual exposure, and handheld off-camera flash, in about 15 seconds. I tend to be a slowpoke, and that was about as fast as I've ever set up a "macro" shot (not true macro, but about 1/4 or 1/3 life size) with a tripod and flash. It worked, but, retrospectively, I should have held the flash above the anemone, rather than below it.

Let's see your predator and prey shots, and hear the stories of how you got them.

Mike

Last edited:
Crab Spider and Fly

I regularly watch the same plants over and over again while hunting for insects. I should note I stalk them and rarely bother to wait for them as I find about 5 or 10 tens as many specimens that way. Part of this is that a human presence will keep some away and so you must happen on them. The other part is moving about I also look new places so I see more.

For this pair of images I was observing at one of the better plants (a tansy ragwort specimen that I deadheaded and burned the seeds from before burning the whole plant at the end of Summer) for finding Hymenoptera specimens when I saw a rather strange acting fly. Took at shot, took another look to think more about angles and then I saw the camouflaged predator.

Technique was my standard 100/2.8 macro and a 550 EX with a Lumiquest softbox (small diffuser that actually works very well for tiny creatures).

SPE16689_RSE_01.jpg

SPE16729_RSE_01.jpg

enjoy,

Sean

Unknown Wasp with Fly

Shooting available light I had been out stalking insects one afternoon and went by this laurel shrub to see what I could find as it was very often frequented by wasp specimens when down in front of me lands this beauty with food for the little one's larder in tow. I got off 5 shots and then it flew away. This is a crop and it would be at best make an adequate 8x12 inch print. But simply seeing such a creature fly about with something near its own mass was amazing.

So the only real technique here was to look, look again, look yet again, ....

SPE18674_RSE_01.jpg

enjoy,

Sean

Blending In

This was found while looking in a drainage ditch at the side of the road to see what I could see when I saw motion. This is a mild crop to loose clutter from an already busy frame. This small blue/black wasp was dragging a spider 3 times its size about.

While I like the shot for diversity and seeing new species the image is too busy for my tastes. But it was fun to see.

SPE22017_BIB_1.jpg

Lacking species, family, or even genera identifications none of these has made it to my website yet.

enjoy,

Sean

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sean,

You must have worn out knees on all your pants! These are great shots. Do you focus manually and then move in and out of focus?

Asher

Asher Kelman said:
You must have worn out knees on all your pants! These are great shots. Do you focus manually and then move in and out of focus?

Thanks Ashers. <smile> The pants are fine, but I do end up squatting a lot so the knees may wear out some day. <knock on wood>

Insects move to fast plus camera shake tends to make manual focus a nightmare. Manual focus is too slow for fast moving creatures. What I have found to be most effective is to use a manual prefocus as needed and then I use AI Servo autofocus with the center focus point only. Once the AI Servo locks my small back and forth perturbations are cancelled out by the focus tracking.

Noting that I stalk insects rather than wait, I should note that I stalk them using the tracking autofocus and fire when I like what I see.

While my XT lacks the more precise central autofocus point, it still has the more accurate cross type autofocus sensor (checks for vertical and horizontal edges/contrast/...) which is the only autofocus point I use.

I do use manual focus for low light work with flash, but even the low precision autofocus beats my eyes selection 4 out of 5 tries.

I also use focus and recompose manual focus with slower moving insects when I want them out of the center of the frame (not the dead center critical focus in the two spider shots). By this I mean using a half shutter depress to focus, then recompose, then rock in and out to get focus correct. I need to practice using CF 4-3 on to simplify my technique here so I can stop changing focus modes.

I also use manual focus when shooting close to 1:1. But by 1:2 or so autofocus is faster than I am and with a stalking shooting style said speed matters. This is especially true with subjects like the wasp that flew in and landed before me with the fly. If I had tried to manually focus it would have been gone before I got off a second shot.

With the blue black wasp I would not have gotten a single shot using manual focus. But then, I am one of the few nuts who walks about with a camera saying things like "come back beautiful" to wasps (and sometimes I see them from the wrong angle and get spooked).

I have a couple more on topic wasp shots if anyone is interested. And buried in the archives somewhere I have some shots of a christmas tree anemone eating hermit crabs. Albeit, I had watched this anemone for years and I in all honesty fed it just for the fun of watching it eat (and took photos too). Sadly, that anemone likely died after loosing its incredibly sheltered home in a tidepool at the base of a boulder in a major storm earlier this year.

enjoy,

Sean