• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jellyfish

Jörgen Nyberg

Just to please Ron Morse ;-)

IMG_0131.jpg

Not actually a fish, and not in a tank, but its under water at least.

Canon PS A70 in UV-house, taken near where I live, on the westcoast of Sweden.

And another one taken the same day:

IMG_0126.jpg

Happy holidays from Jörgen

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jörgen,

Isn't the water too cold? Also how big are these jelly fish and how long are the strands that dangle.

I guess these have the stingers? Can you describe how they function briefly? I have seen how they move, but don't know how they respond to each other!

Can they communicate with each other chemically or they just happen to float near each other?

Asher

Jörgen Nyberg

No the water gets quite warm in the summer (old pictures), when I took these, it was about 20 C (68 F).

The ones with strands, we call "brännmaneter" (burning jellyfish), they can sting like ..... They get to about 60 cm (2 ft) across, and the strands can get 2-2.5 m meters (6-8 ft). They use the strands to catch newly hatched fish and small shrimps, and the like.

The see-through ones, "blåmaneter" (blue jellyfish), have a less potent poison, most people want even feel them.

I don't think they communicate at all, but since they like the same temp, I think they just congregate in the same oceanstreams. They can multiply by dividing, so I don't know if they ever interact purposely. But I'm no expert, just what I picked up in some reading.

Jörgen