• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Love those Stripes

Nigel Morton

These were taken from behind perspex at Blackpool Zoo. Any comments are welcome.

IMG_3931600x400.jpg

IMG_3917600x400.jpg

IMG_4171600x400.jpg

Mike Spinak

pro member
Nigel,

As I mentioned in another thread, people who post pictures on this forum are strongly urged to give as much detail as possible about the camera settings used, the equipment used, and the reasons for the photographic decisions which were made. This allows for much greater potential, both to inform readers about options and techniques, and for readers to offer substantial criticism. Please do feel welcome to add this information, and please keep this in mind, for future posts. Also, it would help if you could give us some direction of what kind of comments you are looking for.

The first picture is not focused. The first one also crops too tightly (for my taste), where it cuts off the tips of the the tiger's ears. In fact, I don't see much sense to the way it is cropped, at all. The second one is also cropped too tightly for my tastes.

Having now looked at several of your pictures of squirrels and tigers, I'd suggest a few things:

1) Be more conscious and purposeful in your framing decisions.

2) Be more careful and purposeful about where you focus, and why.

3) Learn about color balance.

Your pictures also leave room for discussion about inspiration, purpose, and communication. However, we can get to that, later. I'm choosing to address the technical issues, first. (Ultimately, they are inextricably intertwined, but... a little at a time.)

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Nigel Morton

Thank you Mike for your advice. I will remember to add relevant details in my future posts and think more about the composition etc.