• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Squirrels

Nigel Morton

Took these shots in a park not too far fro where I live. Any comments are welcome.

IMG_4669600x400.jpg

IMG_4663600x400.jpg

IMG_4662600x400.jpg

IMG_4681600x400.jpg

Mike Spinak

pro member
That's a lovely looking squirrel. I find some of the pictures framed/cropped a little too close, in the vertical dimension. I see no good reason for cutting off part of the squirrel's tail fur. Of course, not all animal pictures need to show the full body... but, when part of the animal's body is being excluded from the frame, it is best if this is a conscious decision made for a sound compositional reason. In this case, I just don't see it. Instead, it looks as though the cut off tail fur is somewhat haphazard. The pictures also look like they may not be sharp, but it is hard to tell at this resolution.

Also, people who post pictures on this forum are strongly urged to give as much detail as possible about the camera settings used, the equipment used, and the reasons for the photographic decisions which were made. This allows for much greater potential, both to inform readers, and for readers to offer substantial criticism. Please do feel welcome to add this information, and please keep this in mind, for future posts.

Thanks.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Ray West

Hi Nigel,

I guess these are some cross bred variety, twixt the North american tree rat, and the beautiful uk red variety? The only good grey squirrel, is a dead one, but I'm not too sure about the mongrel variety - probably worse - I wish my dog could climb trees ;-0

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ray,

There's a good reason why homeland security won't let you in our country! Thanks to them and the leadership of GWB, our mongrel squirrels are safe.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nigel,

I really like the subject. What a handsome creature!

As I have written in reference to the lion images, shooting tight, while great for experienced photographers can cause huge disappointments to those trying to get compositions right.

Can you see how you would have more leeway by using a greater depth of field and a wider lens.

That way you can finesse the composition at your leisure.

Keep at it.

Asher

Nigel Morton

Thank you all for advice and comments on these shots and the Squirrels in general.

Asher I will have a go with a greater DOF. I am a little concerned that the other lense I have 18-55mm would make the Squirrel look too small. This lense would give good results I think, when the Squirrel is feeding from a hand.

Ivan Garcia

It amazes me how these breeds make it across oceans.
This one has been living in my English back yard for 4 years.
Canon 5D
Canon 100-400mmL @400mm Iso 400, 1/200 sec F/11
IGD_2326_velvia-.jpg

Canon 5D
Canon 100-400mmL @400mm Iso 400, 1/125 sec F/11
IGD_2328_velvia.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray West

Hi Ivan,

The grey squirrel was brought into the Uk from North America - deliberately, for some reason, to about 30 sites from 1876 to 1930. They are a pest. It is illegal to import them now, or keep one as a pet. They cause considerable damage to trees, and the bird population. They are rodents - rats with furry tails. There is a cull being undertaken in parts of the UK at the moment. It is thought they carry, but are immune to 'squirrel pox' which is fatal to the native red squirrel. I guess this is giving us the same sort of problems as Australia had when rabbits were introduced.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ivan Garcia

Hi Ray.
I am aware of the problems the gray is causing to the red… I am also aware of the “politics” when greys are concerned, however, I can bring myself to do the required work … since I also have a family of foxes living in my yard… I much rather let them do what comes naturally to them… this squirrel has been lucky so far… but I’ve seen a member of his family get the … well you get the picture (no pun intended)

John Sheehy

Hi Ivan,

The grey squirrel was brought into the Uk from North America - deliberately, for some reason, to about 30 sites from 1876 to 1930. They are a pest.

That's probably retalliation for your Starlings, which are now one of the most numerous birds in NA, which have decimated the population of many native birds with their tactic of waiting until another bird has completely built its nest, and then come and attack the builder and take over the nest, with the builder having no place to nest.

Asher Kelman

The destruction of native species is worse in isolated islands or habitats that have been protected over eons from such competition.

Lions don't wipe out the herbivores in Africa because there has been a balance.

Our habit of letting loose new species is akin to giving smallpox contaminated blankets to Native Americans!

asher

Ray West

Nigel Morton

Many thanks for adding the extra Squirrel captures. I think that the Park where I took my shots may have had a cull as the Squirrels dissapeared for a while and are only just starting to re-appear. In certain parts of the UK there are now Red Squirrel sanctuaries. I will have to visit one of these as I have yet to photograph a Red Squirrel.