• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CS issues

Mark Hampton

Hi Hi,

I am working on some large files - 4 - 8 gig when I save them as PSB and try to re open them CS5 cant...

any thoughts?

system is i7 2.93 - 1tb (2X500mg sata drives - raid 0) - 8 gig ddr3 ram... are the files to big for the system?

thanks for any help in advance.

cheers

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mark,

Which CS version?
64-bit or 32-bit?
Which OS version?
If Windows, how is the swap file set-up?
How much memory is allocated to CS?
How much scratch disk space is allocated to CS?
What does CS issue as an error when you try to open the files?

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mark,

Save as PSB if you can. If not, cut into two ore three and fit them back together in CS5. They will do so exactly.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Hi Mark,

Which CS version?
64-bit or 32-bit?
Which OS version?
If Windows, how is the swap file set-up?
How much memory is allocated to CS?
How much scratch disk space is allocated to CS?
What does CS issue as an error when you try to open the files?

Cheers,

Clem

CS 5 - 64 bit
windows 7 - 64 bit
5000 MB /12274 (page file)
phtoshop Ram 7182 MB
drive C scatch disk - 415 GB

I click on the doc (it has no PSB icon) windows canny identify it - I navigate to to CS5 -64 bit and it says it canny open it !!

Asher - I use PSB at the moment - but i think I may cut to get this stuff saved!

thanks for the time :)

cheers

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

CS 5 - 64 bit
windows 7 - 64 bit
5000 MB /12274 (page file)
phtoshop Ram 7182 MB
drive C scatch disk - 415 GB

I click on the doc (it has no PSB icon) windows canny identify it - I navigate to to CS5 -64 bit and it says it canny open it !!

Asher - I use PSB at the moment - but i think I may cut to get this stuff saved!

thanks for the time :)

cheers
Based on your input, I cannot see an immediate reason as to why this should happen. I have more or less the same configuration and it all works fine. Of course we can discuss later about the need to have a scratch disk on a separate disk but that is not the issue here.

Did you try saving as tif instead of psb? I never use psd/psb but always tif files. If it works with tif, then it may be a data corruption issue of the psb files. Or perhaps something related to your virus scanner or even a corrupt registry entry.

One thing you can do is to trash the CS5 preferences file. Just make a backup of your C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings\Adobe Photoshop X64 CS5 Prefs.psp file and delete the file. If it does not help solve the problem, rename the backup to the original name again.

HTH,

Mark Hampton

Cem- Asher

I am stupid - stupid - ken what I was doing... I was using full stops in my nameing... I had a look at my files and they were all - allthatissolid.....psb..88 ..lmfao the computer thought it was a 88 file type !!

kids dont use full stops !!

I changed them all back to more convetanal ways of nameing and they work....

to much of this I think Ardbeg

cheers

Hi Mark,

Have you tried "File|Open as... Large Document Format (*.PSB)".

If that doesn't work, I'd try trashing the prefs file as Cem suggested.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I see you just found what the issue was, problem solved. Good.

Mark Hampton

Hi Mark,

Have you tried "File|Open as... Large Document Format (*.PSB)".

If that doesn't work, I'd try trashing the prefs file as Cem suggested.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I see you just found what the issue was, problem solved. Good.

Bart,

I think only therapy may work in my case ! or for the computer tbh.

cheers

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mark,

This is yet another reported outbreak of the dreaded brain fart (pet de cerveau, en français).

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Mark,

This is yet another reported outbreak of the dreaded brain fart (pet de cerveau, en français).

Best regards,

Doug

Now you got it!

By the way, I am used of your usual naming, Mark, And the other day when I was reading the post on "most mundane objects" I was thinking about the way it would react in some cases, not really thinking about PS as I never use PSB... It came to my mind then flew away!But By the way, now I know I made sense. :)