• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why should layers adjustment boxes not appear in CS4?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have just come across an anomaly in CS4 that I've not seen before. For some unknown reason, when I add any adjustment layer, for example, curves, the box with the curve adjustment diagram no longer appears. What could cause that? Is their some switch that could accidentally be wrong?

A duplicate layer of the actual picture can be adjusted normally but not with a separate layer by the older method of Image-Adjustments-curves and then the dialog box appears normally. I can then mask that layer and use it to get the changes where I want, but this is a work-around.

I'm about ready to go to CS5 but not before the end of my current project.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

ASHER

charlie chipman

Perhaps you inadvertently closed the adjustments tab window?

Go to the 'window' drop down menu and be sure there is a check mark next to Adjustments.

Is it there?

There is an option when you open the layers tab menu (the "down arrow with stripes next to the double rewind arrows on the top right of the panel) called "layer panel option", check that you have anything but "none" ticked. But it shouldn't happen just for the adj layers...

Asher Kelman

There is an option when you open the layers tab menu (the "down arrow with stripes next to the double rewind arrows on the top right of the panel) called "layer panel option", check that you have anything but "none" ticked. But it shouldn't happen just for the adj layers...

Sandrine,

I can't find the layer panel option. Probably staring right at me! Do you have a screen shot for me?

Thanks,

Asher

Sandrine,

I can't find the layer panel option. Probably staring right at me! Do you have a screen shot for me?

Thanks,

Asher

I send it to you!

PS Edit, not fair keeping things secret...:)
Untitled-2.jpg

Asher Kelman

I send it to you!

PS Edit, not fair keeping things secret...:)
Untitled-2.jpg

Sandrine,

There are no problems at all with the icon of the layer. However, if one chooses, say "Levels" or "Curves" there is no adjustment box to look at, no diagram of an histogram, no curves, zero place to actually make the adjustments!

Thanks for trying!!

Asher :)

So I misunderstood the word "box" , no worries...

just a thought:
when you open the the "keyboard shortcuts and menu" panel in window>workspace
when opening the menu tab, you have an eye that enable/disable the visibility of any of the menus (choose panel menu in the drop down)
Maybe it helps...

Untitled-1-4.jpg

Honestly I don't know, the only thing I can see and that is not a bug is something in Preferences>interface (auto show hidden panels or the kind) but if you're on a Mac, I know some menus are slightly different than mine, notably concerning the interface.

I don't know if it'll help:
Adobe forums

Asher Kelman

Sandrine,

Well, it seems to have healed itself. Something was repaired as the boxes just reappeared. Thanks for the effort!

Asher

Sandrine,

Well, it seems to have healed itself. Something was repaired as the boxes just reappeared. Thanks for the effort!

Asher

OK, well then... By the way what means to be an Amazonian? (apart living in the Amazonian Forest, that I'm not). The Google searchs are polluted by "Amazon.com" pages.

Cem_Usakligil

OK, well then... By the way what means to be an Amazonian? (apart living in the Amazonian Forest, that I'm not). The Google searchs are polluted by "Amazon.com" pages.
I suspect that Asher was referring to the Amazonian Women, who are said to be strong, athletic and noble (the definition here). Nothing stands in the way between them and their goals, they get things done and are never afraid. In other words, a compliment directed at you. :)

Cheers,

So thanks Asher! In other words, Stubborn? Well, I've been said that my family have Basque ancestries (not sure about that), so the stubborn part is well shared in that part of the world. But I was just willing to help, in one of the -rare- subjects where I can be of some help here. I don't like not to understand. In that sense, I feel a bit disappointed by how the solution goes :) . But, well, only the result counts, as they say.

And anyway, never forget that English is not my first language. In order to understand all the questions, feelings, thoughts, advices here, I spend a lot of time on Google and Wordreference.com and so on. More time than actually reading the posts...

Cem_Usakligil

Hi, Asher,

"Came clear while walking", as we used to say in the (old) telephone business.

Best regards,

Doug
Reminds me of a variation of the Murphy's law. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like this:

- If a system breaks down and you ask an expert to solve it, the problem will no longer be repeatable when the expert arrives.

Cem Usakligil's corrolary to the above:
- If the problem is still present when the expert arrives, then the expert is not a real expert.

Cheers,

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

- If the problem is still present when the expert arrives, then the expert is not a real expert.
Indeed.

If we have a camera that is misbehaving, we speak openly about sending it to the factory service center. That will often get it to straighten up and fly right.

Best regards,

Doug