• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

On Line Now! Fast Yachts at Sea: The Journey of A sea Captain and His Wife.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
On Line Now! "Fast Yachts at Sea: The Journey of A Sea Captain and His Wife".

At last I have completed my promised article on Nicolas Claris, his journey and his life as a special kind of photographer. This work required my visit to Bordeaux to actually experience what this fasicnating guy was about. Sure, he and his talented wife, Marine did magnificent work in the design of OPF with me, (this would have been difficult without them), but I felt there was more to this than design skill.

Articles will follow on more of our photographers. Great Photography, is not "f8 and wait", as you will see.

The long promised article is here at last!

I hope you enjoy this way of reaching to the lives of other photographers. I certainly had surprises and joy getting to know my new friends better.

This is to MVFFF Nicolas and his dear wife, Marine! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
It's on the left hand menu of the front page...
And as we met for the first time in Bordeaux, I'll only say that Asher and his wife are wonderfull guests to care of and that they welcomed us so nicely in L.A. for our second meeting that I don't know how to express my greatfull to them. (Police control did take those wonderfull Bordeaux wine bottles that we wanted to share. NO LOL!)

Diane Fields

Wonderful. I loved the whole article and will go back and reread it and look at the photos again. Nicolas--what a life!! I've seen quite a few of your photos--always wonderful, but knowing exactly how they are shot--plus all else that goes into the other things you do--the books, exhibits, etc.--was extremely interesting to me.

Asher--terrific article. I enjoyed it immensely. Now--both of you can tip your glasses to each other--and us (unfortunately, I'm not drinking a Bordeaux at the moment, but I am enjoying another wine---and sitting here thinking what grand folks are on this forum).

Diane

Cem_Usakligil

Excellent article, and what a story! I am very much impressed and also a bit jealous to be honest (meant well, obviously ;-)).

I have just put down my glass of Pinot Grigio (darn, not a Bordeaux wine after all) and will go to sleep now. Have a good night/day/weekend all.

Cheers,

Cem
(who'll hopefully dream of the open seas, the wind and the wonderful smell of it all)

Jeff O'Neil

Wonderful article and the pictures befitting the photographer are amazing.

What a wonderful life! Having found a niche as he has and living the dream we all have.

Excellent work Asher!

Jeff

Marian Howell

as a person who grew up sailing and racing (much smaller boats!) and a follower of large yacht races over the years i have seen and admired nicolas' work. and i have tasted the difficulties of the job and know how much effort and craziness is involved in those gorgeous shots! bravo asher for exposing the man (and woman) behind the shots!

Brian Lowe

Fantastic, bravo Asher.

Nicolas, it was truly a pleasure to meet you and Marina in person, when you were in Los Angeles. I often think of the discussions about photography we had on that day.

-Brian-

Asher Kelman

Ron Morse said:
Excellent article and photos. I feel very humble drinking my Ca wine and my little 22 foot cruiser.
Ron,

How about a new thread on boats?

You could introduce us to your lady!

Asher

Ron Morse

After thinking it over Asher I don't think anyone would be interested in what I have to offer. All I have are a few snapshots of our boats that were never ment to be shown. I do need to take a few nice pictures next summer of the bigger boat. I have a few shots of the boat in the water at a slip. The boat is mint inside and out but I don't want my shots anywhere near the wonderful work of Nicolis Claris.
Here is what I mean. In my back yard after it third waxing of the summer.

mg9382fi1.jpg

Asher Kelman

That is impressive! First as a boat, then, I wonder, as a stimulus for exploration.

It's worth revisitng perhaps. There are mysterious relections of laundry and boxes which, to me at least have interest as artistic elements. Maybe? You might even get an idea sparked here!

I checked it out and, at least for me, I think there's potential.

According to what else you have and what you might do, that is where a copy of this might also go!

Asher

nicolas claris

Ron Morse said:
After thinking it over Asher I don't think anyone would be interested in what I have to offer. All I have are a few snapshots of our boats that were never ment to be shown. I do need to take a few nice pictures next summer of the bigger boat. I have a few shots of the boat in the water at a slip. The boat is mint inside and out but I don't want my shots anywhere near the wonderful work of Nicolas Claris.
Here is what I mean. In my back yard after it third waxing of the summer.
Hi Ron
Easy:
launch your boat
take the awning off
have three 25-35 years old men and women with nice suits
have a nice day, blue sky with some few clouds
Nice background (beach, rocks, palmtrees, pines etc.)
Have your boat run fast on some clear water
Step on a faster speed boat with possibility to get higher than your boat (Helicopter not forbidden)
Prepare your full frame camera with a 12 mm (Ok 15 isn't that bad)
Have longer lenses ready for different angles
Ask the "crew" on board to enjoy their time
Choose your angles, play with your boat sailing, get it nice in the viewfinder and you'll get the shots!

But shoot RAW!

Do not hesitate to contact me if you need more in depth explanations, but I'm sure, if you try it, you'll get it.

Cheers!
PS, the harder will be to have the horizon horizontal...

Asher Kelman

Wow,

Chirac should learn from that; a Frenchman that really is open, shares experience freely, doesn't feel defensive or threatened and just wants everyone to do well!

This is what OPF is about! Free, generous sharing of experience!

Asher

Ron Morse

Asher Kelman said:
That is impressive! First as a boat, then, I wonder, as a stimulus for exploration.

It's worth revisitng perhaps. There are mysterious relections of laundry and boxes which, to me at least have interest as artistic elements. Maybe? You might even get an idea sparked here!

I checked it out and, at least for me, I think there's potential.

According to what else you have and what you might do, that is where a copy of this might also go!

Asher

I have quite a few toys Asher.
Here is my other boat. Its fairly fast at about 74 - 75 MPH. I call this one, my boat. I love this thing. Its a fair weather boat and doesnt like rough water very well. I went completely air-borne unexpectedly in it at about 60 MPH in some rough water and now my wife will only ride with me if the water is smooth as glass.
Again just snapshots. Excuse the mud on the trailer. I just went through some road construction.

mg92168rc.jpg

mg92107vx.jpg

mg92134rl.jpg

nicolas claris

Wow Ron
That is a nice one too!
Same recipe except that for this one, you'll need the chopper (pro pilot ONLY!), but please don't put Chirac on board !-)

Ron Morse

Nicolas Claris said:
Hi Ron
Easy:
launch your boat
take the awning off
have three 25-35 years old men and women with nice suits
have a nice day, blue sky with some few clouds
Nice background (beach, rocks, palmtrees, pines etc.)
Have your boat run fast on some clear water
Step on a faster speed boat with possibility to get higher than your boat (Helicopter not forbidden)
Prepare your full frame camera with a 12 mm (Ok 15 isn't that bad)
Have longer lenses ready for different angles
Ask the "crew" on board to enjoy their time
Choose your angles, play with your boat sailing, get it nice in the viewfinder and you'll get the shots!

But shoot RAW!

Do not hesitate to contact me if you need more in depth explanations, but I'm sure, if you try it, you'll get it.

Cheers!
PS, the harder will be to have the horizon horizontal...

Wow!! Thanks for the fantastic tips Nicolas. You have really got me interested. It sounds like my speed boat would be too low in the water to use as a chase boat.
I will print out your suggestion and save them for next summer when I get the boat back out. Right now it is winterized and put up for the winter.

I would also love to get some nice pictures of " my boat " at speed with the rooster tail of water flying up behind. Maybe with some advice from you on that I can get some. I know that their are faster boats for a chase boat but I don't know anyone with one.

OH and I always shoot in RAW.

Thank you for the advice.

nicolas claris

I thought I had to add some captions under some pictures in the article.
Please forgive English bad grammar or wrong spelling, it will be my English, not Asher's!

Mary Bull if you're around there, i think you're the most qualified here to list all my faults and I'll redo my copy...

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

Ron Morse said:
We must have posted at the same time Nicolas.

Thanks again.
LOL!
For your "My Boat" shoot, I'm affraid that it is too fast and even on "as ice" soft water, you'll get to shaky (IS not enough!) and anyway you'll get plenty spray of water on your lense. Forget the chase boat for "My Boat", hire a Robinson 22 (between 250 to 500US$ per hour depending of the place). It is an amazing little chopper made in California for training pilots.
This the one you can see in the article in front of the mast of Velsheda (I were in the same chopper to make the shoot of this one).
I don't know how tall or big you are, but get prepared to have either your gear bag OR your legs inside. But no place for both!
While shooting, use your arms as shock absorbers, (do not have your arms touching any parts of the helicopter, otherwise you'll get bad vibes! IS nice, shutter speed minimum 4 times the length of your lense.
One hour is plenty...
Enjoy, this will be a very memorable day!

nicolas claris

Ron Morse said:
I would also love to get some nice pictures of " my boat " at speed with the rooster tail of water flying up behind. Maybe with some advice from you on that I can get some.
Beside the question about the chase boat, I would shoot in the way to be able to count every drops of water from the rooster tail... get it (long...) but SHARP!

Asher Kelman

Great Nicolas,

I'm so happy you say every drop of water. I have issues with the current preference for showing moving water blurred! So here it means stopping down as opposed to dragging the shutter in the usual "waterfall" or raging rapids" shots which show milk instead of the clear water we see with our eyes!

Asher

Asher

Ron Morse

I apologize for dragging Ashers really nice article about Nicolas's fantastic work off in a different direction. It was not my intent. It just sort of happened.

Thanks again Nicolas.

Cory Silken

pro member
Bonjour,

I also really enjoyed the article and, of course, your stunning work Nicolas. In addition, I'm glad to see such interest and positive response to the article-- I have found non-yachting related media in the USA hesitant to feature yachting because they view it as a niche that only the rich are interested in, while it really does have a much broader appeal.

Cheers,

-Classic sailboat guy
www.corysilken.com

nicolas claris

Thanks for your kind words Cory, I'm so glad you joined us, please post and share here, there are a lot of fora where you'll find place to show your work. Beautifull BTW.
Cheers
PS Next time I'll go to NYC, I'll ring you 1st...

Asher Kelman

Ron Morse said:
I apologize for dragging Ashers really nice article about Nicolas's fantastic work off in a different direction. It was not my intent. It just sort of happened.
You with your generous sharing of impactful pictures of fish, certainly are welcome in this thread! You are, even needed here, part of the environment, LOL!

Asher