• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lens Experiment

Peter Dexter

For fun I took a snap of a Buff-tailed Coronet with a Sony 24 1.8 lens instead of my usual bird lens the Canon 400 5.6. Turns out the 24 though very sharp doesn't do feathers like the 400.

39900605292_3b8ee17b6d_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wow, Peter! You must have been so close! How is it that it didn't get skittish and fly off as you moved towards it, or were you still, just waiting with your camera ready?

Asher

Peter Dexter

Well this is the least skittish hummingbird species that comes to my feeders. In fact the level of skittishness varies considerably according to species which I find curious. I waited, camera ready near the stick. Actually they are much more concerned with who else (other hummingbirds) is nearby since they know we humans and most other species have a snowball's chance in Hell of catching them.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Peter, I would love to have your Buff-tailed Coronet hummer in my own garden! Interesting that you are using the A7RII as it is one of the very best cameras for shadow recovery, so critical in drawing well details in dark feathers. It flat out beats a 100 MP Phase One challenged with 5 stops clean shadow recovery.

(Still, of course, the Phase one is the undisputed king of both detail resolution and highlight recovery!)

Let me share that hummingbirds rank so highly in what drives me crazy from the awesome natural beauty. These delicate fabulous creatures rank, in wonder and worth to me, just after my grandsons' walking into the house smiling and a sight of a pregnant woman and her man caring for each other!

Well, I would add my own largest sculpture close to the hummingbird, as I made it and not millions of years of natural selection!

Asher