• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Annenberg Space for Photography

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
yeah

Yes, I tried to go and I was going to register for the all day class as well. The lecture was full but free, the class was $250 and not sold out, but, I had to work aand didn't want to cancel a paying client.

Maybe one of the events there would be a good OPF gathering; We could go and meet up at the Getty for a while, have a bite to eat and then head over to the Annenberg...just an idea. There are a lot of places to eat in Century City.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, I tried to go and I was going to register for the all day class as well. The lecture was full but free, the class was $250 and not sold out, but, I had to work aand didn't want to cancel a paying client.

Kathy,

Not everyone who registered turned up! I came late because of a flat tire, LOL but there were still a few chairs left vacant! The crowd was mixed, mostly photographers but also folk there for the cultural side of photography. There were photographers with many years of film experience, way before digital and enthusiastic young talented guys, avidly attentive.

He covered his classic work with movie stars, female nudes, male models, Thai Kick boxers and India reportage street photography which was a total departure from his controlled light and posed studio work. He showed his disdain for fussing about shadow detail or highlights blown and had no real interest in mid tones. Rather his wants an uncluttered picture that presents itself.

He would have zero interest, it seems in an Octadome from Elinchrom, but likes the deep dishes of Breeze. He would choose a small light box or Mola and uses edge lights a lot. Once the lighting is right, the model is allowed to give their own performance. That's when he watches and chooses the moment.

When in Thailand shooting the kickboxers, he struggled at first, not having his meticulous lighting and personal control, but then he managed to catch really impressive moments when bodies were in what seemed to be a dance of physical forms. There, his well-honed bond to human physicality came through. For their portraits, he waited until dusk to get the directional lighting he need from that lower sun angle and reproduced some of the studio ambience but with seemingly more obvious mid-tones, but that's just my impression looking at the large Annenburg rear projection screen.

The pictures from india are spontaneous, some just out the car window, others where he has circled the subject for the best light and approach, but they lack the simple defined drama of his studio work. He says he was uncomfortable sticking a camera in someone's face. He eschewed long lenses for the street and, in fact, did get closer, much closer to capture his images. Some of these are remarkable.

We also had a deep felt plug for "Epson printers being the best as Canon's cameras are the best". That really sums up his position!

I'm glad I went!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Maybe one of the events there would be a good OPF gathering; We could go and meet up at the Getty for a while, have a bite to eat and then head over to the Annenberg...just an idea. There are a lot of places to eat in Century City.

Yes, for sure, Kathy, this would be a wonderful OPF opportunity! Let's do it!

Asher