• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: PICTURE A picture that made my week! Little girl with balloons

Cedric,

This special photograph would be the very first award of OPF's "Picture of the Week". Congratulations. This is well deserved. As yet we don't have such a feature but opinions are welcome. Asher

(Discuss in the original thread.)

On the woody roof of the Great Library (aka Library François Mitterrand), a little girl playing with a temporary artistic performance made of balloons :

f2e2f2d42848a85510fb7c5d3f6e0e6.jpg

"Little girl with balloons" - Cédric Massoulier

Nikon D700 & AF-D 1.8/50
Capture One & CS3

EDIT : i have replaced first version which had a framing default...

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem has suggested that we get a procedure going. Why not send me your ideas by PM so we can construct a fair system. Meanwhile, I'll continue pick images that make my day/week. If there's a way to do this with out building a competitive ethos in OPF, we'll become fair and open! Likely we'd better just have my own idiosyncratic choices, impulsive and biased as they might be. Still, it could give attention to some images worth another consideration.

Asher

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Fair? How about whatever admins/mods think fits the criteria? How can "art" be "fair?"
It is not about fair as such but about having a transparent system in place. It can be one of the many possibilities such as:
1) Asher picks himself. Not fair and subjective but it is OK as long as we know that he does it and he lets us know why he chose a picture.
2) We submit our own pictures for a public voting in a special thread/forum. The most voted on picture wins.
3) We submit others' pictures we see here in OPF for a public voting in a special thread/forum. The most voted on picture wins.
4) We send our votes by a PM to an impartial jury who then awards the price to the most nominated picture (no submissions required).
5) etc, etc
So perhaps not fair but open and transparent.

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
This week's winner can be the judge

How about the winner of the week judging the following week's entries with Asher's (or one of the senior Mods) approval of the selection?

Asher Kelman

Let me put this matter on rest until I get Nicolas Claris' input and ideas to best handle this. We don't want a flurry of pressure from award seekers. We are not competing with each other, just helping each other and enjoying seeing photography improve.

My reaction to Cedric's picture and that little girl in a magic world was very strong. For me it's the picture of the week. But the father is maybe the father of the week and the baloon artist, the artist of the week too.

Still, I am pleased that with photography one can transfer the joy so easilly to so many people. Thanks Cedric.

This is how I feel with all good photography, from still life to architecture and weddings, sharing what you personally are moved by, whether you find it, stalk it, get into the right position or just pass by. At that point, the beginning of the process commences to present all the latent features in the most powerful and personal way. Otherwise, perhaps, the camera is the artist. We have to beware lof that!

I have been so enthusiastic about Cedric's picture that I, myself forgot to give sufficient critique. That, I'll do!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
. But the father is maybe the father of the week and the baloon artist, the artist of the week too. Asher
Asher, I don't care about the father nor the baloon's artist, but only Cédrics image:

it has a spontaneous moment, which I consider important for that image and Cédric' s work.
When some other members of OPF reacted positivly towards that image, in my book that's cause they recognized one of Cédric strengths:

melting a certain notion of the moment and space into a image, and yes it has a °magic° aspect, sometimes with a certain ambiguity, which is part of the game, but heck, for me that' Cédric's work: real - unreal? It reminds me sometimes HCB as well, which is ok.

Personally, I never did these kind of work.. but I don't have any problem at all, to enjoy them when well done.....

Asher Kelman

Asher, I don't care about the father nor the baloon's artist, but only Cédrics image:

it has a spontaneous moment, which I consider important for that image and Cédric' s work.
When some other members of OPF reacted positivly towards that image, in my book that's cause they recognized one of Cédric strengths:

melting a certain notion of the moment and space into a image, and yes it has a °magic° aspect, sometimes with a certain ambiguity, which is part of the game, but heck, for me that' Cédric's work: real - unreal? It reminds me sometimes HCB as well, which is ok.

Personally, I never did these kind of work.. but I don't have any problem at all, to enjoy them when well done.....
Michael,

I happen to like spontaneity and have always admired the work of HCB. This picture of Cedric is delightful and even though I could make a list of technical criticisms, the picture withstands it's drawbacks and comes out as enjoyable and will be that way for a long time.

Is it in the class of HCB? That's not for me to judge. I am not an expert on his work, just barely knowledgeable. So I'm not saying that Cedric has reached any such level, but rather that this picture made me happy.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

for me the picture evokes the "joy of simplicity"
the beauty it holds us to is magical and uplifting

the photo actually "has a smile" it makes me want to run through those ballons for the feeling of the freedom of flight!

Charlotte-

doug anderson

Cedric,

This special photograph would be the very first award of OPF's "Picture of the Week". Congratulations. This is well deserved. As yet we don't have such a feature but opinions are welcome. Asher

(Discuss in the original thread.)

On the woody roof of the Great Library (aka Library François Mitterrand), a little girl playing with a temporary artistic performance made of balloons :

f2e2f2d42848a85510fb7c5d3f6e0e6.jpg

"Little girl with balloons" - Cédric Massoulier

Nikon D700 & AF-D 1.8/50
Capture One & CS3

EDIT : i have replaced first version which had a framing default...

I love this shot. Very nice composition, by the way.