• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Warning! Beware of This: The 64 BIT Mac “Brexit” Conundrum!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How many folk here have realized that with the latest OSX High Sierra, 32 BIT stalwarts Microsoft Office 2011 and Phase One’s catalog program, Media Pro, no
Longer work once you do any Mac OS update!

I wish they had warned me as all my catalogs going back 10 years, (when the “wunderkind” was iview Media Pro), are now useless!

Unfairly, Phase One doesn’t recognize either Capture aone 9 or Media Pro as qualifying software to get an upgrade at a discounted price. There is no further Media Pro that will work in Mac OS X. Anything you own gets deactivated retrospectively as soon as you do a minor update in High Sierra!

The Media Pro catalog functions are said to be included in Capture One 11. At the same time, Microsoft Office, conveniently appears now as a 2019 edition, 64 Bit qualified!

Unfortunately, all software which is 32 BIT will cease to work once you do any update of High Sierra!

Best go back to Sierra for safety!

I was further disappointed that ACDsee, although pretty in it’s latest 4.xx upgrade, is bug ridden and lots of things make it crash and Batch processes, especially renaming don’t work!

I now realize that my unneeded accepting the Mac OS offer for a minor upgrade wiped out a majority of my diverse software!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I believe that your software ceased to work, but I don't think the reason is lack of 32 bits support. I am running the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6) and 32 bits applications work. Likewise, 32 bits applications are still supported under Mojave according to Wikipedia and Apple. To my pleasure, I learned that OpenGL and OpenCL are likewise still supported, even if they are deprecated (they are necessary for Adobe CS6).

Basically, your software should work, even under Mojave. Why it does not, I do not know.

You should get a warning that your software is to be updated, but it should still work if you clic pass the warning.

Asher Kelman

I believe that your software ceased to work, but I don't think the reason is lack of 32 bits support. I am running the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6) and 32 bits applications work. Likewise, 32 bits applications are still supported under Mojave according to Wikipedia and Apple. To my pleasure, I learned that OpenGL and OpenCL are likewise still supported, even if they are deprecated (they are necessary for Adobe CS6).

Basically, your software should work, even under Mojave. Why it does not, I do not know.

You should get a warning that your software is to be updated, but it should still work if you clic pass the warning.

Jerome,

My 32 BIT software worked fine too. Apple (or Phase One), has made it so that in the first upgrade to High Sierra, the 32 BIT software works happily as before. However, the latest High Sierra updates kills certain 32 BIT software, certainly Media Pro!

You can look in the software section of the computer status and it should EVENTUALLY, (if one is lucky and has patience), list 64 BIT applications that work and the 32 BIT program’s no longer working!

It just takes several attempts to get this report to load!

Asher

Asher

Jerome Marot

Jerome,

My 32 BIT software worked fine too. Apple (or Phase One), has made it so that in the first upgrade to High Sierra, the 32 BIT software works happily as before. However, the latest High Sierra updates kills certain 32 BIT software, certainly Media Pro!

You can look in the software section of the computer status and it should EVENTUALLY, (if one is lucky and has patience), list 64 BIT applications that work and the 32 BIT program’s no longer working!

It just takes several attempts to get this report to load!

I am using the latest version of High Sierra and the 32 bits applications still work. Your problem, whatever it is, is caused by something else.

Asher Kelman

There is an official Apple advisory as of September 2028

“Starting with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, apps that have not been updated to use 64-bit processes produce a one-time alert when opened. This gives users advance notice that they are running 32-bit software, which will not be compatible with macOS in the future.

Can I keep using my 32-bit apps?
Yes, you may continue to use 32-bit apps with your Mac today. Using 32-bit software has no adverse effects on your data or your computer.”

Phase One has jumped the gun and when High Sierra is updated, Media Pro becomes inactive and one has been pushed to pay to upgrade to Capture One 11 and import one’s otherwise useless Media Pro Catalogs!

Asher

Jerome Marot

There is an official Apple advisory as of September 2028

“Starting with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, apps that have not been updated to use 64-bit processes produce a one-time alert when opened. This gives users advance notice that they are running 32-bit software, which will not be compatible with macOS in the future.

Can I keep using my 32-bit apps?
Yes, you may continue to use 32-bit apps with your Mac today. Using 32-bit software has no adverse effects on your data or your computer.”

Phase One has jumped the gun and when High Sierra is updated, Media Pro becomes inactive and one has been pushed to pay to upgrade to Capture One 11 and import one’s otherwise useless Media Pro Catalogs!

Asher

Your post is misleading. Your problem does not have anything to do with Apple not supporting 32 bits applications, as they still do even on Mojave. Your problem comes with Phase One Media Pro 9 not working properly with versions of OS X posterior to 10.12.6: https://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1337.

Asher Kelman

Your post is misleading. Your problem does not have anything to do with Apple not supporting 32 bits applications, as they still do even on Mojave. Your problem comes with Phase One Media Pro 9 not working properly with versions of OS X posterior to 10.12.6: https://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1337.

Jerome,

Media Pro was working until a few days ago until I made a minor upgrade in High Sierra. I have been using Media Pro with High Dierra since ahifh Sierra came out! I was only in the last upgrade that Media Pro was knocked out!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Jerome,

Media Pro was working until a few days ago until I made a minor upgrade in High Sierra. I have been using Media Pro with High Dierra since ahifh Sierra came out! I was only in the last upgrade that Media Pro was knocked out!

Asher

I am not denying this, just that it is caused by 32-bits incompatibility.