• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax K10D Specs

Alvaro Lopez

Official announcement is tomorrow or the next day. However here are the official specs:

K10D Specifications

Image Capture Device: Interline interlace CCD with a primary color filter
Shake Reduction – CCD Image Sensor Shift
Total Pixels – 10.75 megapixels
Color Depth – 8 bit (JPEG) or 12 bit (RAW) x 3 colors
Effective Pixels: 10.2 megapixels
Recorded Pixels: JPEG: 10M 3872x2592 pixels
6M 3008x2000 pixels
2M 1824x1216 pixels
RAW: 10M 3872x2592 pixels
Focus System: TTL phase-matching 11-point autofocus system (SAFOX VIII) w/AF assist lamp
Autofocus Modes - AF-Single (with focus lock), AF-Continuous, Manual
Illumination Range – EV1 - EV19 (At ISO 200 with 50mm f1.4 lens)
Lens Mount: PENTAX KAF mount compatible with PENTAX KAF2, KAF and KA mount lenses
Power zoom function - Not available
K-mount lenses - usable with restrictions
S-mount lenses - usable with adapter and restrictions
67/645 lenses - usable with adapter and restrictions
DA 18-55mm Lens: DA series smc PENTAX zoom
Focal Length - 18mm - 55mm
35mm Equivalent - 27mm -83mm
Aperture Range – F3.5 – F5.6
Construction - 12 elements in 9 groups
Light Metering: TTL open-aperature metering
16-segment, Center-weighted & Spot meter
Range: EV1 - EV21.5 (at ISO 200 with 50mm f1.4 lens)
Sensitivity: ISO Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600
Exposure Control: Green, Program AE, ISO Priority AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture
Priority, Shutter & Aperture Priority, Metered Manual, X-Sync, Bulb
Exposure Compensation - +/-3 EV (1/2 or 1/3 steps)
Auto Exposure Lock - Pushbutton type with approx. 20 sec. timer
Depth of Field Preview - Via main switch
Auto Bracketing: 3 frames +/-1.5EV (1/2 steps) or +/-1EV (1/3 steps)
Shutter: Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter
Shutter Speed - 1/4000 - 30 seconds and Bulb
White Balance: TTL Auto, Pre-set, Custom white balance
Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, Fluorescent light, Flash, Manual
Flash: Built-in series-control retractable P-TTL pop-up flash
Operation Modes - Auto, Flash-off, Flash-on, Auto + Red-eye
reduction, Flash-on + Red-eye reduction
Guide Number - 15.6 (at ISO 200/m)
Angle of View Coverage - 28mm (equivalent to 35mm)
Flash Exposure Compensation - +1 to -2 (1/2 steps)
Flash Synchronization - With RTF and via hot shoe
Synchronization Speed - 1/180 sec, P-TTL high speed sync with PENTAX dedicated flash
Digital Filter: Black & White (4 types), Sepia (3 types) , Color (18 types), Soft
(3 levels), Slim (+/- 8 levels), Brightness (during playback)
Drive Modes: Single-shot, Continuous 3fps to card capacity (JPEG), 12
frames (RAW), Self-timer (12sec, 2sec), Auto bracketing,
Extended Bracketing, Remote Control (0sec, 3sec)
Time: Modes - dd/mm/yy, mm/dd/yy, yy/mm/dd; World Time -
Displays the time in 70 cities (28 time zones)
Dust Reduction: Type - Image sensor vibration with SP coating
Image Storage: Storage Media - SD memory card, SDHC memory card;
File Formats - Still: JPEG (Exif 2.21), RAW (PEF, DNG), DCF
(Design rule for Camera File system),
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), PRINT Image Matching III
Viewfinder: Optical Viewfinder -Pentamirror with Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen
Viewfinder Coverage - 95%
Viewfinder Magnification - 0.95x (with 50mm f1.4 lens, -1-1)
Diopter Adjustment - -2.5m-1 to +1.5m-1
LCD 2.5 inch, TFT color LCD (Low Reflection) –with Histogram display
LCD Coverage - 100%
LCD Resolution - Approx. 210,000 pixels
Angle of View - Approx. 140°
Playback Modes: Single, Index - Nine image
Magnification – 20x
LCD Function - Image rotation, Slide show, Digital filter,
Histogram, Exposure warning
Erase and Image Protect Modes - Single, All
PictBridge: One image print, All image print, DPOF, Paper size, Paper type, Paper quality, Border
Language: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese,
Korean, Japanese, Swedish, Dutch
Interfaces: USB 2.0 high speed
Video Output - Compatible with NTSC and PAL formats
Power Supply: D-LI50 Lithium-ion battery, which can capture approximately 500 images when fully recharged (CIPA standards, flash
illumination used in 50% of images).
Optional AC adapter also available
Operating
Temperatures:
32° to 104° F / 0° to 40° C
Dimensions: (W x H x D) – 5.6 x 4.0 x 2.7 inches (141.5 x 101 x 67.5mm)
Weight: 25 oz. (710g) without battery and SD memory card; 27.9 oz. (790g) loaded and ready
Computer System
Requirements:
Mac Requirements - OS: Mac OS 10.2 or later, standard
equipped USB port; PC Requirements - OS: Windows 2000, XP
Home edition / Professional, standard equipped USB port

Kyle Nagel

Yes and B&H has it on there site already:

B&H K10D

I spoke with a salesman there today and he told me they had recieved a handfull of advanced availability units a week ago that they have already sold, if you call them you can pre-pay for one, but he suggested checking back in about a week.

Kyle

Kyle Nagel

Even more on the K10D

Here is some more info:

More on the K10D here

And tomorrows press release:

PENTAX ANNOUNCES K10D DIGITAL SLR WITH TEN MEGAPIXELS, SHAKE REDUCTION AND WEATHER-RESISTANT BODY

GOLDEN, CO. (September 13, 2006)…PENTAX Imaging Company announced today the PENTAX K10D digital SLR camera with 10.2 effective megapixels and a host of advanced technologies including a PENTAX-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system and a weather- resistant body.

Designed to deliver high-quality digital images and responsive operation for advanced photo enthusiasts, the K10D features an array of PENTAX innovations in image capture and camera functionality.

The most significant features in the K10D include:

A PENTAX-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system that effectively offers a 2.5 to 4 stop advantage for sharp, blur-free images even under difficult shooting conditions, such as macro and telephoto photography or low light settings without a flash. The SR mechanism is designed to minimize camera shake by oscillating the CCD image sensor vertically and horizontally at high speed using magnetic force, while adjusting the speed of oscillation in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by built-in sensors. As a result, the system does not require special anti-shake lenses and can be used with more than 24 million PENTAX lenses produced since 1964.*

A newly-developed Pentax Real IMage Engine (PRIME) designed exclusively for PENTAX digital SLR cameras to produce well-balanced, true-to-life images. In order to meet the performance requirement in handling 10 megapixel data, PENTAX also incorporated a new high performance 22 bit A/D converter to quickly transfer images with accurate color tones and richer gradation from the CCD to the imaging engine.

A new Dust Removal (DR) system incorporating PENTAX-original Special Protect (SP) coating to help keep the CCD surface dust-free, and a shift mechanism to shake dust off the CCD.

A dependable dust-proof, weather-resistant body construction featuring 72 seals throughout the camera to allow photographers to continue shooting even in dusty or rainy environments.
*Lenses compatible with this mechanism are the PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount lenses; screw-mount lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be applicable with certain lenses.
“Advanced photographers will not find another 10 megapixel digital SLR that offers features such as a weather-resistant body, shake reduction, and great ergonomics, at any price, ” said Ned Bunnell, director of marketing, PENTAX Imaging Company. “With the K10D introduction, PENTAX is now able to offer digital SLRs for two important users - the first time SLR customer who can buy the K100D and now the K10D for the more advanced users.”

Along with the body, PENTAX announced a D-BG2 battery grip for exclusive use with the PENTAX K10D. This battery grip can be used in combination with the camera’s rechargeable lithium-ion batteries to double the camera’s battery life. With a vertical shutter-release button, preview lever, two control dials, AE-lock button and green button, the new battery grip makes vertical-position shooting simple and effortless. It also features the same dust-proof, weather-resistant construction as the K10D camera body.
PENTAX also announced the smc PENTAX-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited lens, designed for exclusive use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras and featuring an ultra-thin pancake design and uni-focal, medium-telephoto optics. With a medium-telephoto perspective, this new lens is ideal for many applications including portraiture and landscape. The high-performance optics ensure outstanding image quality, and provide distinctive visual expression. Materials used for this lens are selected for optimum holding comfort and operability, and the new lens is designed to be extremely thin and lightweight, for go-anywhere portability for casual, day-to-day snapshot photography. Click here to jump to the DA 70mm Fact Sheet

The K10D body will ship by November 2006 for US $899.95, and as a kit with the DA 18-55mm lens for $999.95. The D-BG2 Battery Grip will ship at the same time for less than US $190.00. The PENTAX DA 70mm lens will ship in October 2006 for less US $600.00.

Alvaro Lopez

Kyle Nagel said:
Yes and B&H has it on there site already:

B&H K10D

I spoke with a salesman there today and he told me they had recieved a handfull of advanced availability units a week ago that they have already sold, if you call them you can pre-pay for one, but he suggested checking back in about a week.

Kyle

I really doubt that. But who knows. I'm calling B&H tomorrow to place a order/pre-order whatever they allow me to do.

Kyle Nagel

Alvaro Lopez said:
I really doubt that. But who knows. I'm calling B&H tomorrow to place a order/pre-order whatever they allow me to do.

I was dubious myself and questioned him by suggesting he was confused with the K100D or K110D, he seemed mildly miffed I had called this into question and repeated back "Kay-One-Zero-Dee", and said "trust me" he knows what he's talking about, then he said that because of their buying power they will sometimes get early shipments from some suppliers of some items and this just happened to be one of them.

I didn't pre-order at that time because I wanted to check with a major local pro-photo chain here (owned by Ritz) and see if they were pre-selling it, the schmuck that answered the phone got all freaky on me and actually seemed upset that I had called asking about it, and then said it wasn't even going to be officially announced until November or December, I explained that it was being announced tomorrow or possibly the following day and that B&H already had it on their site and was taking pre-sales, $919 body only or $999 for the kit. He told me outright that it wasn't true, I chuckled and told him I could e-mail him the PDF brochure release, dated tomorrow, and he was also welcome to call B&H, he sarcastically and arrogantly said "well I guess you must know more than my Pentax rep that has worked for them for 30 years, Because I just spoke with him this last week and he said the announcement is several weeks or even months away", He also told me they would know more about all of this than B&H since they were owned by Ritz, they have 1400 stores, and they are the biggest chain there is. Then he said that the prices I had quoted B&H selling it for were too low because that was basically their cost on it, boy what an irritating employee to be working in retail. All he needed to say was they weren't pre-selling it and he didn't know anything. Needless to say I will be buying it from B&H or someone else.

Kyle

Alvaro Lopez

Well I called this morning and spoke to John. He said they were done taking pre-orders because they have reached the number of orders they expect to receive for the first shipment. If you get any other info, let me know. I'm very interested in getting one as soon as possible. Heck I've been waiting for nearly a year to upgrade. Thanks.

Kyle Nagel

Todays K10D announcement

I haven't seen it on the US Pentax website yet, but I ran through all the other Pentax sites and it appears to be only on the Canadian site right now, along with all the specs and accessories, here is the link for those interested:

Click here - Pentax K10D Canadian site

The site is really slooooooowwww, but I imagine they're getting hammered right now.

Kyle

Alvaro Lopez

I've pre-ordered thru Amazon. B&H gave me different answers each time I called and really didn't seem like they had there act together. Its sad, cuz I do most of my business with them. Oh well, I'll probably order the grip from them when they have them in stock.

Can't wait til the end of October.

Kyle Nagel

Yes, I called B&H back yesterday and was told they were no longer taking pre-orders, later I called to ask about the proprietary batteries and see if they were going to get them in at the same time as the body and was told that they were still taking pre-orders for the K10D and they might have some in in a week (I don't believe it however). As you said they are a little confused, I also purchase quite a bit from them and it is a little disquieting that they all tell you a different story. Most places I've talked to said they have an in-store date of Nov. 20th others have told me mid-October. I sent off an e-mail to Pentax asking them if they could give me an official in-store date, I haven't heard back yet but it usually takes about 2 days for them to reply to e-mails. I found another camera shop that will start taking pre-orders as soon as they have it in their computer (Hopefully any day now), he took my name and said he will call me when they are ready to start taking orders, I will ask about the grip and batteries when he calls me back.

I found out a couple of pretty cool things about the grip, as well as the battery it also has a place inside to store the wireless remote and a spare SD card. what I wonder is since the grip uses the same proprietary battery is whether it comes with another one or if you have to buy an additional one for it, if so I'd like to get 3 more batteries so I can have one set of spares.

The 70mm pancake is quite tempting also, I'll have to see if I want to pony up the extra for it when the time comes.

Kyle

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think that even though pundits seems to write Pentax off every 6 months or so, I believe with this new SLR, Pentax is poised to a resurgence, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes. (Leica will do it too!)

Here we have a weatherproof camera at reasonal price! They have taken the big plunge and they don't have 7 market segments to protect. All their efforts have gone into the K10D to compete as a Pro camera. It is not a 1DIIn/s of course. However it is well thought out and appears to be a high quality product.

As the Pentax Spotmatic was my only 35mm film camera for many years, I feel only good feelings for that company! So I hope things go well.

In fact, whenever something like this happens, it prods Sony and Canon to give us more for less.

If not for such products, there would, IMHO be no Canon XTi this year, for sure.

Asher

Last edited:

Alvaro Lopez

Well as luck would have it, a friend called Friday to tell me that Samy's in Los Angeles had a Pentax factory rep there for their "No sales tax weekend." He just happened to have a pre-production working K10D there as a demo. Needless to say, I was there in a flash. I got to play with the body for 20 minutes or so and talk to the rep. I was so excited I decided to pre-order thru Samy's with no sales tax. I'll just cancel the Amazon order, I'd rather support an actual photo store.

Regarding the release date, my understanding is that Pentax is hoping to get the firmware finalized in the camera and have it ready in October. However they are saying a November release date in case they can't get finished in time. If they finish early, no harm done.

Kyle Nagel

Well, I'm officially jealous, I hope they are going to be able to keep up with demand, there is a lot of buzz about this one and from what I've seen on-line a lot of people will be getting it.

Kyle