• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5DII, not your Dad's 5D, 1DsIII innards +HD? Did Nikon's 700D force Canon's Hand?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
20080917_loRes_5dmkii_3q.jpg

From the front, apart from the 5DII name badge, some curve changes in the profile and 4 right top buttons moved laterally 3/4 cm, it looks the same! That has no bearing on reality. This is even more than a 1DsIII to many of us!

20080917_loRes_5dmkii_back.jpg

The second image is more remarkable for the large LCD screen which of course is Live View. There's now 2 extra buttons on the left. first the new button with a cogged will logo above it and then the erase button as the last one. Otherwise the back of the 5D is similar to it's 5D parent, although the only thing they really share in common is the design of the buttons. This camera is hardly related to the 5D in function.

Nikon has finally pushed Canon to give us more. Thank you Nikon! Only a series of superb cameras like the run of fine bodies we have seen in the past year end with packaging all the refinement of the flagship D3 in a more consumer-price friendly D700.

So when Canon came around to replacing its aging 5D 12MP full frame camera, the 1DsIII, 21.3MP Digic IV $8,000 wonder had to be the goodies to go into the new 5D. Canon makes the CMOS imaging and Digic IV calculating chips. So it cost nothing more to dump them in a lighter weight case. Just a packaging job and yes, the 4 top buttons did need to be moved about 3/4 cm to the right, I spotted that! :)

"Canon has coupled the creative power of a full-frame CMOS sensor in a relatively compact and affordable camera body, together with groundbreaking HD video capture that opens the door to a much wider range of imaging possibilities for photographers. Along with the ability to capture full HD video clips at 1920 x 1080 resolution, Canon's EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR camera features a 21.1-megapixel full frame 24 x 36mm CMOS sensor, DIGIC 4 imaging processor and significantly lower noise, with an expanded sensitivity range from ISO 50 to ISO 25,600".

What's especially amazing is the ability to capture HD movies in this same camera. The 5D is at about the same price as the older 5D it replaces, ~$2600 (officially $2699)! Read the entire Canon Press Release Sept 17 2008, here.

Asher

Last edited:

Husain Alfraid

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Finally there is a newer version of 5D.

US: $ 2,699 (cheap??)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/canon/5D MarkII/Design-Cut-(15).jpg

"

So, full-frame cameras are really showing up this year: after Nikon's D90 (with video capabilities), Nikon D700, and Sony's A900, Canon has revealed the EOS 5D MarkII.

The EOS5D MkII features a new 21Mpixels sensor (!) but, most interestingly to me, true 1080p HD movie recording in H.264 format! Now this makes much more sense than the 720p MotionJPEG format currently supported by Nikon D90. eh?

t the moment, the video cameras use small sensors (yes, even the cool Canon ones that you see on TV) and if you want real depth of field control, you need to add an adaptator for larger lenses that you screw in front of the lens, such as the Mini35 system.

This makes the system really heavy, much like having two cameras to carry on. And this is quite expensive too. Actually, I think that the adapter is more expensive than Canon's 5D MkII.
Of course, a SLR won't replace a regular movie camera! Sound recording will be crappy too. BUT it provides a way to record small movies that really look like film.
we need to see how this video look and if there's full control of exposure (or at least, exposure locking) during video recording.

"

i found it very interesting to share... i was really into Nikon D700 after the tests...and i'm waiting the tests on this baby :)

samples can be found in Canon Japan (sorry...i cants advertise other websites....some kind of rules!).

tell me what do you think.....i'm just here to share info :)

cheers
Husain Alfraid

Mike Shimwell

Well, I think they had to do it. Nikon has stolen so much of Canon's marketplace 'honour' in the last year there was bound to be something good in the pipeline!

It looks as though it will match or exceed the 1Ds3 in pure image quality terms (new sensor and digic IV for jpeg shooters...) and lack only in the number of focus points and shortr shutter design life, really. 5fps vs 4.3fps is no great issue for most of us. It will be interesting to see how the high iso delivers and whether Canon will include noise reduction in their raw files a la Nikon. I hope they at least provide the option of a non-processed (post ADC) raw.

As for the price, well you couldn't have bought anything like this at any price 3 years ago!

Oh, they're also introducing a new 24 1.4L lens as well as the range of ZE lenses being available. All good stuff if you're not credit cruch afflicted (or are willing to buy based on the expectation of total financial meltdown and therefore have no expectation of ever paying!)

Mike

Doug Kerr

EOS 5D Mk II - IR remote control

It is fascinating to note that the Canon EOS 5D Mark II includes a built-in receiver for IR wireless remote control via the RC-1 and RC-5 remote "fobs".

This useful feature, previously found on only the "lowest tier" of EOS cameras (essentially, the "Digital Rebel" family, xxxD) is very welcome.

Here is the dpr brief "hands on" review of this fabulous new machine:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

For those who missed the link earlier posted on another chamber here, here is a link to the Canon news release on the EOS 5D Mk II:

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20080917_5dmkii.html

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Cem,

That's the best intro to the 5DII I've seen. Funny to hear HD pronounced "HaytchDee"! So old fashioned and quaint! The demonstration of the ability to magnify a small central area to obtain and check focus was very interesting. The JPG image of the bride taken in near darkness was remarkable, but of course we didn't see the files and noise.

The finding of about two stops more dynamic range and sensitivity is heartwarming to a guy who was planning to go after the owl-like capabilities of the magnificent Nikon D3 and its economical sibling, the D700. These are remarkable times! When did we have such choice! Thanks Nikon for getting Canon to give us some of it's technology that it appears to parse and give out only when it needs to define its place in the order of things.

I just hope that the Digic 4 processor can change the sluggish 5D focus in low light to match the 1D series. Where the 5D has fallen short is not on image quality but in focus capability. So this is the one area that will define our level of enthusiasm after we have gotten past the wonder of 21 MP. In practice, we need to focus more than we need more pixels! This 5D is an exciting development. I can't wait to get some files and hear about focus in low light and other real life challenging conditions.

Again thanks for spotting this video and sharing!

Asher

Ron Morse

There will be one out there with my name on it before year end (Buy by 12/31 and get a tax deduction for it!)

So what happens Kathy if I pre-order one and don't get it until after the first of the year. Can I still claim it. My camera and gear is a tax deduction right now.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Deduct it

You deduct it when you pay for it if you are a cash basis taxpayer (most people are considered Cash Basis -= meaning it gets recorded on the books the day you pay or receive money). Order and pay for it before 1/1/09