• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why Do you post? Do you post the same picture in several sites? Why?

Why Do You Post Picture in OPF?

• To share to joy of my very best photographs that are close to or ready for prime time?

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • To update folk on my latest project or travels?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • For feedback to make me feel good?

• To get honest critique that I hope to use in improving or showing my work?

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Solve a problem?

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Demonstrate a useful technique or gear?

• Just for fun!

• To justify to myself/other money and time invested in photography?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I post the same pictures elsewhere too and its just what I do!

• Other reason?

• Total voters

Bill Miller

Cem gave a guide to C&C, Critque and Comment here. This is a must read to get an idea of what among many questions you might ask of a picture. Bill pointed asks a major question not of the picture, but of each of us, the photographer who posts. The question is why do we do it?

Asher :)

Sometimes you look at a photo and just don't like it, for whatever reason. It may be focus, color, composition, crop any number of things. From being a seeing other forums and the comments. Most people including some members of this site are really looking for ego boosters as I call them. Something to justify the cost of their equipment and to keep shooting. They never seem to take any C&C to improve or change there work.

Here is a short list of answers to a post made on another site. The exact same photo/photos were posted here also and received a critical but accurate evaluation by Asher and others. Take a look these are just a few of over 20+ comments. The post received 1.68% replys on ___.com and here 3.2% replys this is based on the number of views.

• shots are really well done
  • Great work, great model.
  • Wow, wow, and wow!
  • Very nice

Posters response: "thanks to all for the comments"

Possibly the real questions are:
"Why do people post their photos on line?"
"Are they looking for honest C&C or ego stroking?"
"What do you do with a person who post the same type of photos all the time and expects C&C?"

Disclamer: this is not directed at any one living or dead person or poster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Posting photos in one or more online photography forums? Where is the payoff?

I must introduce the subject of showing one's pictures and valuing the pithy comments I see im other websites:

WTD596.gif

From being a seeing other forums and the comments. Most people including some members of this site are really looking for ego boosters as I call them. Something to justify the cost of their equipment and to keep shooting. They never seem to take any C&C to improve or change there work.

Here is a short list of answers to a post made on another site. The exact same photo/photos were posted here also and received a critical but accurate evaluation by Asher and others. Take a look these are just a few of over 20+ comments. The post received 1.68% replys on ___.com and here 3.2% replys this is based on the number of views.

• shots are really well done
  • Great work, great model.
  • Wow, wow, and wow!
  • Very nice

Posters response: "thanks to all for the comments"

Possibly the real questions are:
"Why do people post their photos on line?"
"Are they looking for honest C&C or ego stroking?"
"What do you do with a person who post the same type of photos all the time and expects C&C?"

Hi Bill,

Thanks for going to the heart of an important matter. Here in OPF where we are trying to support each other to improve our photography, some show off is fine. Excellent pictures for us to look at inspire us, so that, in itself is desirable.

To everyone:

Answer these questions? Do you post pictures

1. To share joy and entertain the others here with the joy of this picture?
  2. To share your snap shots?
  3. Help with technique for a specific issue?
  4. To feel good?
  5. To get an overall critique so you can improve or see what the "public" might think?
  6. Some other reason?

If you post on other websites

1. Which ones' give you usable feedback?
  2. Which give just "Wow!" comments.

Asher Kelman

What we post pictures for and why OPF and why post elsewhere too?

I've started a poll, but we'd love to have feedback on your own experience and ideas. :)

Daniel Buck

I post my photos just to share them with anyone who cares to look at them. I enjoy looking at other peoples photographs (even though alot of times I don't leave a comment) I think that's aone of the cool thigns about the internet, the ability to share (and view) photographs around the world.

yea the quality isn't near what a nice print would be, but you can get the essence of the photograph, it's composition and basic tones from the internet postings. It's enjoyable, and inspiring!

It is a valid set of questions. The answer(s) is/are not yes or no.

In my case I changed my life and what I used to shoot. For two years I documented art work in NY, so, not much to post. Now I am beginning an exploration of working everyday for my stock library, so I could post images every day...

Do I post pictures
1. To share joy and entertain the others here with the joy of this picture?
I suppose so. It is probably the same as with non-photo posts, if I see an interesting question on a subject that I can help and no other poster answering, I feel the satisfaction of posting and helping in the same way others have helped me many times before.
2. To share your snap shots?
I share snap shots on my FACEBOOK with family and friends...
3. Help with technique for a specific issue?
I have not done that, but I could
4. To feel good?
It feels good, after a day of working on an image on the studio and Photoshop to be able to share with other photographers.
5. To get an overall critique so you can improve or see what the "public" might think?
I don't expect an overall critique, I never had one in this or other forums. Probably the most elaborate response is as small phrase for an image that is particularly good.
6. Some other reason?

I like to share my work with all, but particularly with Asher since I feel like this is his classroom and I'm doing my homework. People get to know you and you just want to contribute.

Sometimes I get in to an argument with someone here and I go to their website to see what they are and what they do. It is interesting to see that some prefer not to have their work available, no web site, etc. I think that it is the other side of the question. Why some people don't want to post...

I've been active on photo discussion forums for some years, so I post work mainly to let people know in a general way what kind of work I do. Sometimes I'll post images to demonstrate a technique or tool, or to get suggestions on some specific technical problem. I've tried online critique forums, and I don't find them very satisfying, so I don't look for critique online. Much of what I'm up to is about the print anyway, and the qualities that are specific to a print don't really reproduce well on the computer monitor.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Inspiration for others

On many boards, I lurk. The critque is nearly useless in some other forums because the clique factor is there. Or the other photographers don't have the experience and then their is the one upmanship and all. On one board that is focused on a particular type of people photography that I subscribe to, it's all about look how great my work is and you should consider that I am a Rockstar". Another site is so amatuer in the photography that there just isn't the eye for genuine feedback.

Here at OPF, while it many not get the number of views or useless "that is great" or "That sucks" the comments are meaningful. There is a genuine air here of wanting to see others succeed. There is inspiration to see the works of really great photography. If you aren't sharing, you are depriving others of that motivation. I've made some genuine friends here that are more than cheerleaders. No other boards necessary!

Asher Kelman

I've been active on photo discussion forums for some years, so I post work mainly to let people know in a general way what kind of work I do. Sometimes I'll post images to demonstrate a technique or tool, or to get suggestions on some specific technical problem. I've tried online critique forums, and I don't find them very satisfying, so I don't look for critique online. Much of what I'm up to is about the print anyway, and the qualities that are specific to a print don't really reproduce well on the computer monitor.

Thanks David, Leonardo, Daniel and Kathy and everyone else so far for disclosing reasons for sharing pictures here on OPF . It's important for all of us to know why we are here together. Your thoughts are so valued. The votes, BTW are totally private and hopefully will give some guidance.

We might not get any comment we can use. However, there's more to it than that. Posting images is a shared celebration of our passion. I remember sitting in a small coffee shop in New York with you David and you showed me a small albumen print and how thrilled I was. That's a personal privileged moment I treasure and I wish such shared joy to everyone here in observing and appreciating the work of others here. We may not be fully endowed with insight on design and composition. Still, we can all feel and welcome a picture that moves us.

Asher