• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How artistic are your photographs?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I thought it would be interesting to throw some conceptual images at this software. I'm working on a project related to photographic abstract expressionism. The software turns out not to be very broad minded with regard to modern art. ;-)

109393675.jpg

Score: 46.5 / 100

111448677.jpg

Score: 35.9 / 100

111393021.jpg

Score: 70.5 / 100

111392930.jpg

Score: 9.5 / 100

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Nor did it seem to get much of a kick out of a magazine cover I did last fall:
109344326.jpg

Score: 21.2 / 100

And it sure doesn't like one of my favorite geometry project images:
112328642.jpg

Score: 15.6 / 100

Very cool towards wedding candids, too.
95074938.jpg

Score: 32.6 / 100

It does seem to have a bit more shine for cats, though.
93283202.jpg

Score: 41.2 / 100

Want some real suprises? Submit the same image in different sizes. I tried it twice with completely repeatable results. Smaller images do much better than larger ones. If too small, you get an error message.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
How about Henri Cartier-Bresson? Naw, a rookie.
hcb.jpg

Score: 58.6 / 100

Hmmm. Maybe it's a Saul Leiter fan? Not really.
artwork_images_89028_188796_saul-leiter.jpg

Score: 42.3 / 100

Not an Andreas Gursky fan, either.
GurskyAndreasCopan.jpg

Score: 22.9 / 100

So I'd say that this little piece of code should go straight to most people's pay-it-no-attention list. It's just silly.

Cem_Usakligil

...So I'd say that this little piece of code should go straight to most people's pay-it-no-attention list. It's just silly.
Although I agree with Ken, I am also intrigued about the social consequences of this experiment. It seems that photographers would really flock in masses to a software like this regardless of its accuracy. The question that I have is why. Is it gullibility? Is it due to trying to have less human interactions by evading the nasty C&C on fora like this one? What is it?

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Although I agree with Ken, I am also intrigued about the social consequences of this experiment. It seems that photographers would really flock in masses to a software like this regardless of its accuracy. The question that I have is why. Is it gullibility? Is it due to trying to have less human interactions by evading the nasty C&C on fora like this one? What is it?

Cheers,

Photographers -won't- be much attracted to this system beyond its curiosity value. Hobbyists, however, will. I think that this will be particularly attractive to young men in techie fields who feel the need to rate everything in their lives and who need such numericization to make aesthetic judgements. This "Acquine" software was developed by three young computer technicians and academicians at Penn State with not a shred of aesthetic or art education evident in any of their backgrounds. They're just playing with pattern recognition.

In the end it's harmless fun but not worth anything more than a curiosity. I do, however, wonder what the site's owners are getting, or planning to get, from this gizmo.

Nicolas is right: Art has everything to do with human feelings. Those "feelings" are far more complex than any computer program could ever predict.

Cem_Usakligil

Photographers -won't- be much attracted to this system beyond its curiosity value. Hobbyists, however, will. I think that this will be particularly attractive to young men in techie fields who feel the need to rate everything in their lives and who need such numericization to make aesthetic judgements. This "Acquine" software was developed by three young computer technicians and academicians at Penn State with not a shred of aesthetic or art education evident in any of their backgrounds. They're just playing with pattern recognition.

In the end it's harmless fun but not worth anything more than a curiosity. I do, however, wonder what the site's owners are getting, or planning to get, from this gizmo.

Nicolas is right: Art has everything to do with human feelings. Those "feelings" are far more complex than any computer program could ever predict.
Well said Ken, and Nicolas too.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
n the end it's harmless fun but not worth anything more than a curiosity. I do, however, wonder what the site's owners are getting, or planning to get, from this gizmo.

I was wondering too… maybe they are building an image data base with all pics uploaded for judgement! LoL!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
BTW
I saw this photograph of Ken before, and would like to say that I love it! (Yes, another human feeling ;-)

111393021.jpg