• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why I HATE Umbrella Lighting...

Why I HATE Umbrella Lighting...

If you want to get me to fall a sleep, just show me some images shot with umbrella lighting. Now I am not talking Richard Avedon, because Richard Avedon did a lot more than capture images with a single umbrella, he captured a moment that is so his signature, that anyone else attempting to copy would be dwarfed by the sheer magnitude of what Avedon accomplished.

Umbrella lighting is the 'WalMart' or the 'Ford Pinto' of lighting for me. It is the horrible gig at the Holiday Inn, where some dried up ex alcoholic is attempting to make a come back singing 'I will Survive" to a bunch of totally miserable accountants congregating for their annual convention.

Umbrella light is that really bad hair do or dress that can only be seen in some totally kitsch boutique in Boise, Idaho. It is that Wedding photo that we have all grown to, ah, hmmm, Love?

It smacks of hey, I am now a photographer because I now own a couple of studio lights and have to have this because if I don't I won't be considered credible and it will impress anyone who doesn't know any better and the bigger the better types...

Ah, give me that umbrella to be very, very safe and to not upset the REAL serious photographers out there that believe that you have to have a reflector to kick in some light in to "THAT" shadow area, otherwise it is NOT a technically good image.

What is even worse is that those who MUST HAVE an umbrella, will almost certainly have a..."Da Da, a Soft-box!!!" Now THAT is really impressive. Every time I see a set up with a soft-box and the "UMBRELLA" I pop the proverbial CHUBBY and have to sit down, as to not expose by excitement.

Now, if somebody were to say to me, "Hey check out what I did with this umbrella!" that would totally blow me away, I would be so F'ing pleased. But at this point in time, I have seen nothing but flat, boring, pedestrian, predictable, unassuming, dull and flat out knock me out with a VALIUM the size of a HOCKEY PUCK images.

Hey, but who knows. Given that surprises do happen, I'm open to the possibilities.

Surprise me.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=814

What is even worse is that those who MUST HAVE an umbrella, will almost certainly have a..."Da Da, a Soft-box!!!" Now THAT is really impressive. Every time I see a set up with a soft-box and the "UMBRELLA" I pop the proverbial CHUBBY and have to sit down, as to not expose by excitement.

Now, if somebody were to say to me, "Hey check out what I did with this umbrella!" that would totally blow me away, I would be so F'ing pleased. But at this point in time, I have seen nothing but flat, boring, pedestrian, predictable, unassuming, dull and flat out knock me out with a VALIUM the size of a HOCKEY PUCK images.

Hey, but who knows. Given that surprises do happen, I'm open to the possibilities.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the provocation ;-)

Just to make sure, is there anything specific about an umblella used as reflector of diffusor you don't like, except the size of the apparent light source? Your reference with similar disgust to a softbox suggests it is the size, and hence the resulting characteristic on how material structure is lit.

There is a place and time for all sorts of light quality, and it's the subject at hand that dictates many of the constraints within which one can maneuver.

Cheers,
Bart

Daniel Buck

Not all photographs need to be in your face, new, different, and exciting beyond belief! If an umbrella setup gives the photographer a predictable, easy, quick portrait that looks decent, then great! It'll look miles better than a popup flash, and will most likely blow the socks off of most people who are looking for a portrait, since most people are used to the "excuse me sir, could you take our picture?" popup flash point and shoot portrait. :)

I would agree that someone who wants to get more into portrait lighting should probably try and venture beyond a simple umbrella setup, but I can't see a reason for your outburst. Sounds like you are bitter, and not looking for discussion, just ranting. I'm sorry, but you sound a bit childish :)

fahim mohammed

You use artificial lighting? I would use an umbrella or whatever to shield my eyes from ANY sort of man-made lighting.

Of course, YMMV.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Umbrella lighting is the 'WalMart' or the 'Ford Pinto' of lighting for me. It is the horrible gig at the Holiday Inn, where some dried up ex alcoholic is attempting to make a come back singing 'I will Survive" to a bunch of totally miserable accountants congregating for their annual convention.........

Ben,

I have a lot of portraits to do for a large arts institution. I admit to using not one, but rather two white transmissive umbrellas, LOL The lights, however, shoot backwards into a V of 8 foot White (foam core 4x8 card from Samys Camera), scored an split to fold and stand behind the umbrella. I have other foam core at 45 degrees below the card and the same with an umbrella at the side. The light is supplemented with more white card as needed and trimmed with black card. I have a full window un shaded to some extent to one side and often switch on the fluorescent lights to light the hair from above.

That's my base methodology which I change somewhat for each person to suit my impulse and feelings. I have to balance getting the portrait done, which I do first and then being creative. In almost every case, my creative shots have always been chosen for the subject.

Asher

Last edited:
I wish to make this point perfectly clear here, all I want everyone to do is not rely on what people say is where one should begin when purchasing a lighting kit. I like many did not know any better when I started and purchased the standard kit and until that all changed my professional standing was static.

This post is NOT meant to be insulting, it is meant to shift your paradigm slightly, no more no less.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
But Kathy, are you miserable?:)

Only from the 105 degree heat we are having in Los Angeles area.

There are some great home made light modifiers. One of the things I want to experiement with is using some of the studio doors (I have a series of french doors with window panes in them) to soften strobe light. I use some bi-fold doors, purchased at Home Depot and painted white on one side and black on the other to use as bounce surfaces.

If a photographer were using on camera flash then an umbrella off camera might be a step in the right direction. The Softbox is my favorite but not practical to use for every setting. I love light from a soft white beauty dish - but again, not always practical nor is the 7' octabox.

On my list next - a videolight.

Daniel Buck

I wish to make this point perfectly clear here, all I want everyone to do is not rely on what people say is where one should begin when purchasing a lighting kit. I like many did not know any better when I started and purchased the standard kit and until that all changed my professional standing was static.

This post is NOT meant to be insulting, it is meant to shift your paradigm slightly, no more no less.

then how about you make some suggestions too, instead of just complaining like a baby? :)

And for the record, just because you've complained so loud about it, I've ordered two umbrellas. I like doing things opposite the way people suggest. Now, I'm not a portrait man by any means, but light is light, and I don't see how light going through an umbrella, or a softbox, or bouncing off a card can really be a whole lot different (accept in crisp reflections, seeing the shape/texture of the light), it's all about how you use it. But, we'll see, they're only $20 each. And if nothing else, I learn a $40 lesson.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
then how about you make some suggestions too, instead of just complaining like a baby? :)

And for the record, just because you've complained so loud about it, I've ordered two umbrellas.
Funny, I just did the same thing and paid $20 each, LOL! Why, because it's a cheap way of adding greater diffusion to light I'm bouncing off card. It's so easy to move. I can paint 1/2 it black if I want and it's no money spent.

I think Ben is being provocative to say that a lot of folk starting portrait and glamour work get sucked in to buying kits and consider it critical that they have asymmetric power distribution with i/10 f stop control etc etc.

He does provide options that are very inexpensive and innovative using simple devices that fly in the face of the professional kits. I like that since I myself use rough and tumble Lumedyne power packs with many heads in ever changing combinations.

Ben,

I understand you are pushing against bleached white bread uniformity, but when Daniel Photographs a new car, he too is following his craft, experience and the demands of his clients as you are. The techniques he's invented are cutting edge too!

The major difference is that you can be a dilettante and that's even expected of you, If you decided to use gasoline soaked rags as torches, they'd likely applaud your creativity. I do too! How many others could get away with using disposable film cameras in a serious shoot, LOL!

However, weddings, headshots for actors, sports and dance all have stable client's expectations that change only slowly. Isn't that expected to be different from high end fashion and lifestyle photography?

So yes, it's a good idea to take this stand for imaginative lighting, but still, I must respect the guys who month after month, year after year don't change a damn thing. Without that reliable expectation being laid down, what does the violin or sax have to play against. The very fact that there's a background of habit, custom and even "stale" lighting, allows work like yours to stand as innovative.

I learn from both your schools!

Asher

Last edited:

fahim mohammed

Pay for shipping and you have my umbrella for free! it does not rain here, and I do not go out that
much in the desert sun!

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
All light modifiers have there specific effect.

If you do not like the effect use something else that has the effect you desire.

I find it to be quite irrational to pitch a hissy fit because someone else uses a light modifier because they like the specific effect it produces!

If you do not like someone's art do not look at it!

Then again you might learn something by looking at it so you do not have a seizure in the future!

It is not the tool but the master that uses it that creates art. (you can use a flat file to make a round object just as you can make flat object with a round file if you have the skill and vision to male it so, I have done so on many occasion too lazy to get up and get the other tool and confident in my skill for it to not make any difference!)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Play nice

One of the nice things I have enjoyed about OPF is that we don't need to get slap happy. We can be polite and agree to disagree without violence.

No one mentioned jist how ugly bare flash is.

I just wish to say this. I have often used Umbrella light. In fact I started my career using Umbrella's and Soft Box's etc. I just wanted you to think about which tools you choose before embarking on a photo project. It shouldn't be an automatic response. I recently did a shoot with a mix of Umbrella Flash and Tungsten light. It was appropriate for what I was attempting to accomplish. Again, lighting is such a subjective matter. I shared my feelings about the subject. No more, no less.

Thanks
Ben

Umbrella-Tungsten Mix Sample:

http://www.pbase.com/benjikan/image/107202984/original

I just wanted you to think about which tools you choose before embarking on a photo project. It shouldn't be an automatic response.

Hi Ben,

No worries, I got that from your initial post, and I agree.

For me, the subject dictates part of the lighting choices, the photographer tries to bring out certain features and/or set a mood. In the film days, one was limited as to the maximum contrast (subject + lighting) allowed. With digital we can push things a bit further and post-process more.

Cheers,
Bart