• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Exhibition Planned for OPF Photographers, if we're lucky, Nov. 13th to Dec. 13th 2013

Antonio Correia

What images were selected? I cannot find any indication on the Silverstotz web site.

Jerome bon jour, I have chosen two images that will be published in Silvershotz: the first and the fifth.

Silvershotz sent me the pdf with the text and images to be published.

Please click here and I think you will be able to see the two pages document.

I am assuming that this pdf is a facsimile of what will be published.

Thank you :)

Jerome Marot

Jerome bon jour, I have chosen two images that will be published in Silvershotz: the first and the fifth.

Silvershotz sent me the pdf with the text and images to be published.

Please click here and I think you will be able to see the two pages document.

Thank you for the answer. From the pdf, I understand that your theme "street photography in India" was selected by Silvershotz, and that you chose the first and fifth pictures of the ones shown here. Silvershotz added two extra pictures of the same series which are not shown in this thread. (I only make this summary so that everything can still be understood in case the pdf document ceases to be available in the future).

It is a very interesting documentary that you took in India and I can understand that Silvershotz selected it.

Antonio Correia

...I only make this summary so that everything can still be understood in case the pdf document ceases to be available in the future...

In order such a think - not availability of shared images or documents - won't happen again to me, I have made in my web site an unlisted folder for the images I post and I have also made a directory called "Never to be erased" in Google Drive where the pdf and other docs are stored.

So, they will last as long as myself :) After that...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm invited to tend a set of photographers works for an exhibit at which I'm a guest curator in a Los Angeles gallery later this year.

tend (v. t.) To make a tender of; to offer or tender.

I want to remind everyone, in case some missed the language above, "I'm invited to tend a set op photographer's works". That means that the collection would still have to be win its place for the exhibit. My plan is to assume we can do that. However, if not, then I am trying to have a backup plan based on the pictures submitted and the strength of the narrative that can be made to hold together the collection. Also, based on the collection quality, I will get expert opinions about when it might be opportune to initiate a permanent collection of OPF curated works.

I'm meeting this friday with the officials at the gallery so as to be in the very best position to submit our final collection. We've never done this before at OPF, so it's a learning experience for everyone. I also have to look at sources of funding as I can see all sorts of costs coming up from mailing to reprinting, matts, frames and more.

Asher

Terry Lee

First Set

Hi Asher,

What a great initiative, I've never seen such a forum based initiative before. Let me know how I can help! I am sure there are many ideas floating around regarding funding, maybe a corporate sponsor?

Anyway here is the first set of six images from my folio "Windows & Walls" that I would like to contribute. Once I can get to my 'puter and resize the other sets I'll post them up as well:

BorrowedCable.jpg

ChurchWindow.jpg

TowingEnforced.jpg

WallStudy5v2.jpg

Windows2005.jpg

Workshed.jpg

Asher Kelman

Are we honing in on "The Spaces humans Make: The Reciprical Impact of humans and Living Spaces". Anyone else hazard a guess or perhaps it's too early to do so?

Asher

George Holroyd

Are we honing in on "The Spaces humans Make: The Reciprical Impact of humans and Living Spaces". Anyone else hazard a guess or perhaps it's too early to do so?

Asher

I like that. Hopefully, we'll see some more participation. I've got a couple of prints that were orphaned, but might be of use in this context.

Theme: Signs
Medium: A4 Lambda print, as per previous series

tumblr_ma8c5eCRKG1rxciibo1_r7_1280.jpg

Untitled

tumblr_m5two3XTDI1rxciibo1_r1_1280.jpg

Untitled

Terry Lee

Group #2

Finally had some time on the computer! Here is group #2 from an upcoming Folio I call "Sol y Sombra" from a trip to Spain.

Aquaduct.jpg

Castle%20Door.jpg

Ceramics.jpg

Med%20SkysB.jpg

ToledoGrate.jpg

Windmills.jpg

Enjoy!

Asher Kelman

Important signpost!

"The Spaces humans Make: The Reciprical Impact of humans and Living Spaces".

Right now, this post is a most important travel sign for us in coming towards a unifying theme. We can see active impact of man. So we do have a sense of man reacting with his spaces, including abandonment and marking it as finished, so to speak with messages to future visitors.

In our searches for what to offer, can we also look for life like this, activeness in pictures we choose? It could be people in a building cooking, eating or dancing or incarcerated. Can we find other examples of active energies of all sorts in the spaces.

This does not mean we'll exclude passive quiet resting places, like broken bridges or viaducts, but we do need a spine of human presence in the exhibition. This also doesn't mean we can't serve away from the current exhibit title/theme/goal I've offered. I'm just giving feedback from the curatorial viewpoint so we can have a structure and content that hold together emotionally and conceptually too.

Asher

Asher Kelman

My meeting with the gallery covered their goals and artistic sensibilities. They bring photography and visual art to the Los Angeles area and especially around Venice beach. The gallery holds shows by invited artists. Currently there are about 6 photographers being shown, including palladium, platinum and silver gelatin prints. No doubt there are pigment ink printings too. They liked our work as shown so far. So it's encouraging. We just have to keep contributing to the collection and then pick what will hold together well. There's over 200 ft of wall space, so we have room for many prints and even very large ones.

Asher

George Holroyd

This is another orphaned photo (of a back-lit advertising poster) that I think would work well printed in large scale. I do not have an A4 print of this one so, I'm open to ideas on sizing and printing. However, this has to be considered a tentative submission due to the fact that there is additional cost involved.

Medium: To be determined

tumblr_mhgpceVGOo1rxciibo1_r4_1280.jpg

Untitled

Asher Kelman

This is another orphaned photo (of a back-lit advertising poster) that I think would work well printed in large scale. I do not have an A4 print of this one so, I'm open to ideas on sizing and printing. However, this has to be considered a tentative submission due to the fact that there is additional cost involved.

Untitled

George,

What's fascinating to me is that here, your wife is seemingly looking through a window from one space to another. Perhaps it's the personal space of one person to the space outside that individual or to another's space. This fits in with my concept that we are all walking within spheres of "delusion" which I call collectively humanity's "delusionorium". So, to me, at any rate, this is about personal spaces in a very intimate level.

Asher

Antonio Correia

The Spaces humans Make: The Reciprical Impact of humans and Living Spaces

I love this theme / Project !

Please Asher, we still can change our images can't we ?

I have been thinking about this theme and I would like to make some changes to certain posted images.

I can do so can't I ?

Thank you :)

Asher Kelman

Of course Antonio,

Anyone here can change anything! This is a fluid movement in the group. Also invite old friends you correspond with to help us excel. There may be a photograph someone else has that you feel resonates with some other image already shared here. The "up to 6 images" per set, is just for us to get a sense of what's available.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Untitled

When I see the picture, I would like to print it relatively big, at least A3. But the actual size would need to be determined from the type of grain you have in the full resolution file. From personal experience, digitally added grain needs to be tuned down considerably for big prints or it looks ugly. Post an enlarged crop if you want an educated opinion. Or if you have the picture with no added grain, the right type could be added for the print.

For the medium I would use some kind of "baryta" paper, which is a bit glossy, but not one with too much structure. This kind of picture will not work on matte paper, the blacks will not be dense enough and structured papers do not work well with grain. I would also use the duotone function of photoshop to give it a hint of warmness (try the burgundy 3 duotone if you have PS).

You keep complaining about costs. I know that prints on fine art paper are expensive, especially when you have them done in Paris. My paper and ink costs for a similar print in A3 size would be about 4€ (plus shipping: 3€50). The catch is that I already own the printer and don't charge for my time (and so will only do it for this or similar projects). Please check message #14 in that thread.

Terry Lee

Group #3

Hi all,

Finally had time to do some size reductions for submission of group #3. From a upcoming Folio that I will be releasing in a few weeks called "Carnies", this is a preview I hope you enjoy, it was a blast to produce ;-)

TerryL1.jpg

TerryL6.jpg

TerryL7.jpg

TerryL3.jpg

TerryL9.jpg

TerryL12.jpg

Asher Kelman

Any news, Asher?

Yes, George, we have progress to report! :)

This is still early times. Decisions will be made following my submission of the planned exhibition in May. So far, they reviewed the work to date and liked what they saw and it's likely that one way or another we'll have our own exhibition either in November/December or else early in 2014. One of the reasons why I started the challenge on intimate spaces, is to make sure we covered that concept of space as well. Feel free to choose favorites from what we have so far and propose categories that fit within the overall theme.

Still, at this stage, anyone can submit their non-nude work in this thread and then we'd have to see whether or not we keep the current overarching title of the collection or modify it according to the worthies work we have offered.

Asher

Adrian Wareham

Just a few for fun, old and new.

Shasta lavender farm with Mt Shasta in the background:

LavenderFarmsmall.jpg

Shasta woods:

7a4f7dd6-5336-4f2a-8bf7-ebe0b4c87751.jpg

Fire hehe :

350bac73-9a66-4aae-afaa-04630e60c77a.jpg

Inland Empire sunset:

14cf8a6b-1024-4893-8f19-d7255b9d927c.jpg

-Adrian Wareham

Asher Kelman

Just a few for fun, old and new.

Shasta lavender farm with Mt Shasta in the background:

LavenderFarmsmall.jpg

Shasta woods:

7a4f7dd6-5336-4f2a-8bf7-ebe0b4c87751.jpg

[/CENTER]

Adrian,

Your offerings appreciated! I wonder whether the brights can be recovered from Raw in the first picture? Also the darker tones might benefit from remapping, if that's something you might like to consider. These changes would help create the sense of space and depth in these two images. One could use an HDR program very parsimoniously to good effect.

Cheers!

Asher

Adrian Wareham

Actually, they both look MUCH better before being uploaded. Photobucket compresses the files to something MUCH smaller than before (further reducing the dynamic range). Most of my friends, when seeing originals, think I was using an HDR program. lol

If you look at the dynamic range of the 60D relative to other cameras (dpreview has the data) while the 60D (and 7D, T2i/T3i/T4i) sensor/processor combo may reach its maximum white levels a little quickly, it does very well with deep blacks.

Photobucket (or facebook, etc etc), on the other hand, does not. lol

-Adrian

p.s. I also just personally prefer, when it comes to landscape, photos which are as close to reality as I can make them. Not sure why. Maybe I just have poor taste. lol Anyway ...

Adrian Wareham

Oh, and the brights in the clouds, and around the mountain, are actually hidden/muddled by haze (marine layer). Don't forget, this IS still California, and it was a balmy summer. Here in Southern California, we're lucky if we can even see that far at all. haha

Asher Kelman

Actually, they both look MUCH better before being uploaded. Photobucket compresses the files to something MUCH smaller than before (further reducing the dynamic range). Most of my friends, when seeing originals, think I was using an HDR program. lol

If you look at the dynamic range of the 60D relative to other cameras (dpreview has the data) while the 60D (and 7D, T2i/T3i/T4i) sensor/processor combo may reach its maximum white levels a little quickly, it does very well with deep blacks.

Photobucket (or facebook, etc etc), on the other hand, does not. lol

-Adrian

p.s. I also just personally prefer, when it comes to landscape, photos which are as close to reality as I can make them. Not sure why. Maybe I just have poor taste. lol Anyway ...

Adrian,

Since we need to select images for ultimate printing, please send me these files directly to editor.opfATmac.com using yousendit.com if the files are larger than 20 MB as I can't judge them as shown with the extra compression.

Thanks,

Asher