• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MF Digital Studio Shoot Demonstration/workshop: Phase One 80 MP back and Capture One 6

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just have to share this with you as there are two further opportunities for any of you in the area of California to try out the new Phase One flagship camera.

I had the pleasure today of a most useful free workshop at Calumet Camera store in Los Angeles. I actually was able to leisurely shoot with the new 80MP Phase One MF camera using the 55mm and 110 mm lenses in both AF mode and MF. The model was very sporting and put up with my instructions and I had a great deal of fun and learned a lot about this landmark camera. I'll be writing much more. for now, this is just an encouragement for anyone who can steal the time, to treat themselves!

0f32a492-f496-42a3-92bf-ac61a36b8453.jpg

The camera is intuitive to hold and set if you have used a Canon digital camera and the viewer is so bright that I didn't look at the large LCD screen at all even when doing MF!

There's two more demonstrations in California.

March 16
Hosted by Samy's
Siren Tower
Rooftop Studio,
6063 West Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles
CA 90028
Register here

March 17
Calumet San Francisco
2001 Bryant Street
San Francisco
CA 94110
Register here

I highly recommend you take advantage of these live demonstrations with a studio lighting set up and models. I shot with the new camera and with my 5DII and I'll be reporting on the results.

Also, the tutorial that follows on the Capture One software, is itself an eye opener, with shortcuts I never realized existed and a better way of approaching sessions. There is also a good review of the new features of Capture One version 6, such as local adjustments which are remarkable.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
If you can't get to a Phase One demo (and few can) you can still get a very good grasp of Phase One's system architecture concepts and products from their online materials.

Here are some professional in-use vignettes of of new IQ180 backs.

And here are some tutorials on the (relatively) new 645DF camera system.

What's particularly notable about the new IQ backs is that they're not just updates of the P+ backs. The IQs are completely re-architected around a Phase One custom proprietary operating system designed exclusively for the jobs required of high-resolution digital imaging. Outwardly what you notice is the instantaneous start-up and, of course, the iPhone-like touch interface with the luscious "Retina" display. (No more Flintstones screens and interfaces!)

Additionally, the characteristic Phase One four control buttons are now inset on edge bevels in the IQ backs. This may seem like a trivial styling change but it's not! The P+ buttons are flush to the back and are easily accidentally pressed by body-bumps when the camera is on a neck strap. (This is why the button lock-out feature is so prominent.) But the IQ buttons are now positioned equally conveniently as the P+'s buttons but away from such constant body-bump hazards.

I thought I was set for life with my P65+ but once I saw these new IQ designs I knew that this was much more than a marketing campaign. So, yes, I've an IQ160 on order, expecting arrival sometime in May.

Asher Kelman

If you can't get to a Phase One demo (and few can) you can still get a very good grasp of Phase One's system architecture concepts and products from their online materials.

Here are some professional in-use vignettes of of new IQ180 backs.

And here are some tutorials on the (relatively) new 645DF camera system.

Thanks for the links!

What's particularly notable about the new IQ backs is that they're not just updates of the P+ backs. The IQs are completely re-architected around a Phase One custom proprietary operating system designed exclusively for the jobs required of high-resolution digital imaging. Outwardly what you notice is the instantaneous start-up and, of course, the iPhone-like touch interface with the luscious "Retina" display. (No more Flintstones screens and interfaces!)

I must admit I was so taken by the amazing viewfinder clarity and that I could manually focus gain, (like I was 18 yrs old), that I paid almost no attention to the screen except to see what I had shot! This was a thrilling experience.

Additionally, the characteristic Phase One four control buttons are now inset on edge bevels in the IQ backs. This may seem like a trivial styling change but it's not! The P+ buttons are flush to the back and are easily accidentally pressed by body-bumps when the camera is on a neck strap. (This is why the button lock-out feature is so prominent.) But the IQ buttons are now positioned equally conveniently as the P+'s buttons but away from such constant body-bump hazards.

That too, I didn't realize as I had only previously used Phase One backs on a Mamiya RZ!

I thought I was set for life with my P65+ but once I saw these new IQ designs I knew that this was much more than a marketing campaign. So, yes, I've an IQ160 on order, expecting arrival sometime in May.

I hope you got a great discount trading in your older back! The Pentax 645 is going to be an interesting camera as it pushes prices downwards while offering a modern electronic interface. However, 80MP trumps that by a great margin. I'm excited at the prospect of testing the camera again today with new models and cocktails on the rooftop of Samys Sunset Blvd.!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, the Samys IQ180 shoot was amazing. First there was an abundance of gourmet catered food. A hostess made sure everyone had drinks and the shoot was carried out in 3 sets. So far, 319 IQ backs sold this year, 300 of the orders are for the 80MP IQ180. That's impressive.

What's also impressive is the Phase One accessory controller for Profoto Air, added below the camera, allows shooting synched to flash as 1/800 second. Any lens can be used, without any special shutter!

Also useful is the binning feature. When one reduces from 80 MP to 20 MP, the ISO goes to 3200! Pretty neat!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A Foretaste of the IQ180

Shot at Calumet in Los Angeles, first look, as shot, no manipulations:

First with the 5D Mark II 32mm (24-110mm L IS), f 8.0 1/200 ISO 160 This is the camera I use for most fashion, music, ballet and portrait work.

_MG_3073.jpg

© Asher Kelman: Test shot 5D Mark II, cropped

Next with the Phase One IQ180 110 MM f6.3 ISO 80 With the camera tethered, the pace of shooting is slower, obviously than with the Canon 5DII freehand. I think I'd like to test shooting free with the Phase One. My background is with film, so I don't really need to slow down to see what comes up on the screen. Still, the images that appeared were immediately a new class for me. Now for a start, the lenses used do not match, obviously, so this is no "A versus B shootout", just a new and enjoyable experience for me.

CF004115.jpg
CF004115 white balanced via sclera.jpg

© Asher Kelman: Test shot Phase One IQ180

The Phase One image out of the camera has a lovely golden hues, a preset in the camera, no doubt! The image on the right is color-corrected referencing the model's white sclera. I have no end of love for the new digital back! Smooth tones and a kind of 3D appearance to the features. Not scientific, but exciting nonetheless!

Just a taste. More to follow.

Asher

Last edited: