• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mesa Sunset and other new P45 images

Alain Briot

pro member
Here are several new images created with the Phase One P45 on Hasselblad Vs. Your comments are welcome:

Mesa%20Sunset.jpg

Mesa Sunset

Sierra-Fall-2.jpg

Sierra Fall

Lake-Sunrise.jpg

Sabrina Lake Sunrise

Dune-Panorama.jpg

Dune Sunrise

Ken Tanaka

pro member
These are beautiful images, Alain. Personally I think that "Dune Sunrise" is my favorite du jour. The detail change of the sand ripples in the loser 1/3rd of the frame lends a balance and tenser character to the overall image that would be missing if the sand ripples continued to smoothly tree-down the rest of the frame.

It's also a nice statement of your camera and skills that you've maintained that detail so well.

Alain Briot

pro member
These are beautiful images, Alain. Personally I think that "Dune Sunrise" is my favorite du jour. The detail change of the sand ripples in the loser 1/3rd of the frame lends a balance and tenser character to the overall image that would be missing if the sand ripples continued to smoothly tree-down the rest of the frame.

It's also a nice statement of your camera and skills that you've maintained that detail so well.

Ken,

Thank you. I appreciate your comments. Dune Sunrise is a collage of 3 different frames from the Hasselblad SWCM-CF with the Biogon 38mm. It's wider than I could capture with a 28mm, which is currently the widest non-fisheye medium format lens (AFAIK).

Of the other three only Sierra Fall is also a collage. Two frames collaged vertically. I have another image which is a larger collage (8 frames) that I will have to add also.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
ALain,

This is a rich gallery you have posted today! I already have had a rush of pleasure! I will prepare for myself a drink from the tips of the finest Ceylon black teas, let it brew for 4 minutes, add milk and thus armed will go through each new picture of yours and examine, one by one. I'll set myself up as in the comfort of a national gallery with a large leather flat bench set up to promote stopping of time and the best experience.

Thanks for sharing. Just add a little story about how all this took place!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Asher,

Thank you. I appreciate your comments and compliments.

Right now I have this written about Blue Canyon:

Blue Canyon was created with my Phase One P45 digital back mounted on a Hasselblad SWCM-CF camera with a fixed Zeiss Biogon 38mm. This image is a digital collage created from about 8 separate captures. The resolution of the final image is very high making it possible to print this photograph to mural size if need be. Needless to say, the detail is incredible.

It took me 6 months to complete this image, between the work involved in stitching the frames, the color correction work and the image optimization. Part of the problem was that the 8 captures were taken over a 30 minutes or more period and the light changed while I was photographing. As a result, different clouds and cloud shadows as well as light and dark areas on the landscape are present in the different captures. Merging them did not solve this problem, hence I had to do a lot of hand work to make all the different captures live happily together. I also had to clone part of the clouds at the top of the image because I somehow forgot to photograph that area... If you look carefully you will see that the top left cloud area is similar to the top right-center cloud area. That is because I cloned the top right-center area, flipped it horizontally, then used it to fill the top left area which was blank. I also had difficulties with having the colors match throughout the image. Finally, I was not sure if it was ready for publication until I decided there was nothing more I could do to make it better, something that I decided at the end of February while showing this image to one of my students and realizing I very much liked it the way it is.

The result is a unique photograph that can never be duplicated since going back to the location and taking the same photo would be impossible since it is not a single photograph but a merging of several different captures to which parts were added. The final piece is both beautiful and unique.

Most importantly, beyond all these technical considerations, this piece represents not only a place but an emotion. It stands for my emotional response to this scene. In my work, I find inspiration in the words that Ansel Adams penned in1979 in his Foreword to Yosemite and the Range of Light:

. . . I was casually making a visual diary - recording where I had been and what I had seen-and becoming intimate with the spirit of wild places. Gradually my photographs began to mean something in themselves; they became records of experiences as well as of places.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
ALain,

Putting together the pictures and then creating clouds that were never there adds your fingerprints and creates a representation of what you felt. That to me is almost universally a necessary part of moving a technically great picture towards "acquiring a meaning to themselves" as Adams put it so well. That, to me is part of the nascence of art.

Is there, in this massive image, any figure or animal that would serve to give some signal as to the scale of the work?

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
ALain,

Putting together the pictures and then creating clouds that were never there adds your fingerprints and creates a representation of what you felt. That to me is almost universally a necessary part of moving a technically great picture towards "acquiring a meaning to themselves" as Adams put it so well. That, to me is part of the nascence of art.

Is there, in this massive image, any figure or animal that would serve to give some signal as to the scale of the work?

Asher

Asher,

I agree. That's the way I approach this. It's not possible with every image -- each one calls for a different approach. This one was particularly challenging. Some have much more work than others. The bristlecone photograph is also a collage, essentially to extend the foreground and add more snow from a slightly differently composed capture. Otherwise it required minor 'surgery' compared to Blue Canyon !

I don't have anything for scale, except that the red boulders in front of the first rock formation on the left in the foreground are about 4 ft high. The tallest formation, in the foreground at right, would be about 20 feet high.

The original image (collage of 8 captures) is 10,000 x 13,000 pixels without interpolation. The captures superimpose each other to a great extent so the final image is not 8 times the native resolution of the P45.

Andy brown

I was perusing these shots this morning, my son peered over my shoulder and said.." Dad! why don't you take shots like that?"

And my son is actually quite fond of my photo's.

Alain,

I've admired your images and written words over the years. Dune Sunrise, however, stopped me dead in my tracks. This could easily serve as anyone's lifetime ultimate achievement. In your case, of course, it's one of many.

Tom

Alain Briot

pro member
Alain,

I've admired your images and written words over the years. Dune Sunrise, however, stopped me dead in my tracks. This could easily serve as anyone's lifetime ultimate achievement. In your case, of course, it's one of many.

Tom

Tom,

Thank you. I am touched by your compliments. I do consider it one of my best dune photographs. I have other images from this location, but this one is particularly meaningful. We got there seconds, literally, before the sun rose over the mesa in the background. I always want to be there 30' to 1 hr before sunrise but here things made this unfeasible. I thought I would not get anything and of course I had no time to scout. I just had time to set up there and do my best. I usually walk further into the dunes but on that day I just walked to the first dune with nice patterns and worked from there. I preferred to get something rather than look for the ideal location and get nothing! As it turned out I had an excellent location!

Alain Briot

pro member
I can only say WOW!

I am sure these would be amazing prints.

Ian,
Thank you. Sometime one word is worth many! WOW is a great compliment.

Yes, these look beautiful in print. Everyone who sees the prints tells me how much better the print looks compared to the web images...

I always say that there is no substitute for an original print. Everything is, well, a reproduction! These images have infinite nuances of tone and color (that's one of my primary goals when I create the final image) and the web simply takes these away.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Alain
Yes beautifull images, of course!
Still, for the pleasure of the eyes, I'd love to see them larger. Say… 900 pix wide?

Thanks for considering, seing them small is a punishment!

Alain Briot

pro member
Bonjour Alain
Yes beautifull images, of course!
Still, for the pleasure of the eyes, I'd love to see them larger. Say… 900 pix wide?

Thanks for considering, seing them small is a punishment!

Nicolas,

Thank you for your compliments. These are the only web images I have. I wish I could post larger but my lawyer said "don't do it"...

ALain

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

That would of course have to be via a link, not embedment (as forum rules forbid embedded images larger than 400 x 300 px or 300 x 400 px).

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

Hi, Nicolas,

That would of course have to be via a link, not embedment (as forum rules forbid embedded images larger than 400 x 300 px or 300 x 400 px).

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug
I don't know where you did find that rule, but it must be a very old one… which I would be glad to correct.
In fact we do accept up to 800 pixels (larger size) and for some exceptionnal shots (as Alain's) up to 1100 pixels… No snaps there, thanks!
We even have seen some larger panos posted, but that is not recommended…

Another way of showinf details is to use Zoomify (free plugin with CS3 and CS4) You can set the size of the window (max 1000x640) and then one can zoom for details. Almost impossible to get a hires file from there, the image is divided in 256x256 pixels individual files…

Like this Zoomified image here

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ncolas,

Hi Doug
I don't know where you did find that rule . . .
It is here:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/faq.php

"Images should follow these specifications:
• You may submit vertical or horizontal photos.
• Must fit within 300 pixels high x 400 pixels wide for horizontal format
• Must fit within 400 pixels high x 300 pixels wide for vertical format
• Color space: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
• 100Kb max
• Sharpened by their author
• Be named: "photographer_pic01", pic02, pic03 i.e. "Nicephore_Niepce_pic01"
"

. . . but it must be a very old one… which I would be glad to correct.
That would probably be a good idea! (That's really why I commented.)

Are the current "rules" in some other place?

Maybe they all should be reviewed.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Alain Briot

pro member
Zoomify is a good option. The problem is the time it takes to create a new "Zoomifiable" version of each image for posting here. Right now I simply link to the photographs hosted on my site. It only takes a few minutes to do.

nicolas claris

Hi Doug

Thanks for digging!

But this comes for "Submissions" of articles, not for posting in the fora…

For now I suggest we do rely on the habits, i.e. 800/900 pix on the larger side…

Hi, Ncolas,

It is here:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/faq.php

"Images should follow these specifications:
• You may submit vertical or horizontal photos.
• Must fit within 300 pixels high x 400 pixels wide for horizontal format
• Must fit within 400 pixels high x 300 pixels wide for vertical format
• Color space: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
• 100Kb max
• Sharpened by their author
• Be named: "photographer_pic01", pic02, pic03 i.e. "Nicephore_Niepce_pic01"
"

That would probably be a good idea! (That's really why I commented.)

Are the current "rules" in some other place?

Maybe they all should be reviewed.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Matt Suess

pro member
Zoomify is a good option.

I took a look at Zoomify when it first came out. Not sure if it has changed recently, but it seemed at the time that it could be theoretically possible for one to write a script or automate somehow to rebuild all the small pieces of an image outside of zoomify and then obtain a solid full-res image. If I recall correctly, all of the pieces reside in a folder that one could figure out the location and download and re-build into a solid image.

Alain Briot

pro member
I have no idea if it can be done or not, but some people have lots of time on their hands and if it can be done, they'll do it . . . . Having a high resolution of a fine art image that sells for a high price can be a powerful motivation.

I have no idea if it can be done or not, but some people have lots of time on their hands and if it can be done, they'll do it . . . . Having a high resolution of a fine art image that sells for a high price can be a powerful motivation.

I unfortunately have to agree. It's simple, if you can display it, you can screen grab it and assemble the pieces. There are some hurdles that can be put up (e.g. transparent GIF overlays against right-click-saving), but in the end it is do-able and therefore not safe enough.

Bart

Alain Briot

pro member
I unfortunately have to agree. It's simple, if you can display it, you can screen grab it and assemble the pieces. There are some hurdles that can be put up (e.g. transparent GIF overlays against right-click-saving), but in the end it is do-able and therefore not safe enough.

Bart

Hi Bart,

Thank you. When there is a way, there is a will (or vice versa). It's true for both positive and negative endeavors.

ALain