• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Stone of Tears

Dwayne Oakes

p762575839-4.jpg

Dwayne Oakes Stone of Tears

Thanks for taking a look! Take care,

Dwayne Oakes

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p762575839-4.jpg

Dwayne Oakes Stone of Tears

Thanks for taking a look! Take care,
Dwayne,

I first wondered how such a title might fit a rock. After all, a rock is dead and should be void of feelings. When someone close dies and they have become just cool, the forehead can be cold and slightly moist. I had a feeling that the forehead was like a cold rock moist from a mornings dew, but lifeless. Hence my puzzlement at your title.

However, your picture does evoke feelings of sadness to me as the water goes backwards, (from a Western Standpoint), and there's nothing like a child, bird, sky or butterfly to uplift us. There's not even color. As the water is moving, it's alive but retrogressing. There's the negation of progress and that creates the negativity, disappointment and hence the tears.

I'm surprised at my reaction to your seemingly ordinary waterfall. Did I merely project my own stories to your picture, primed by your title. Did I trick myself?

Asher

Who else thinks the title is fitting for them?

I wonder how it would seem flipped?

Cem_Usakligil

Dwayne,

I first wondered how such a title might fit a rock. After all, a rock is dead and should be void of feelings. When someone close dies and they have become just cool, the forehead can be cold and slightly moist. I had a feeling that the forehead was like a cold rock moist from a mornings dew, but lifeless. Hence my puzzlement at your title.

However, your picture does evoke feelings of sadness to me as the water goes backwards, (from a Western Standpoint), and there's nothing like a child, bird, sky or butterfly to uplift us. There's not even color. As the water is moving, it's alive but retrogressing. There's the negation of progress and that creates the negativity, disappointment and hence the tears.

I'm surprised at my reaction to your seemingly ordinary waterfall. Did I merely project my own stories to your picture, primed by your title. Did I trick myself?

Asher

Who else thinks the title is fitting for them?

I wonder how it would seem flipped?
Hi Asher,

I've got the feeling that the title is given since there are many eye-sized holes in the stone through which the water flows. Hence, as if it is crying. But I may be wrong.

@Dwayne. An intriguing picture for sure. I like your standpoint but I am not certain about the framing/crop. I have to let this sink in and revisit later. Thanks for showing.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like this and the use of a slow shutter speed to blur the water is a much used but nice touch!

Tom,

I actually have always been puzzled as to why this is the seemingly required finish. Somehow, I think that waterfalls should have really droplets in the air!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Asher, we see everything through the lens of our past experiences and emotions. One might be tempted to say that "art" is particularly good at provoking a strong effect in just that way.

Charlotte Thompson

Dwayne

Stone of Tears is very poetic! I do like the title and the shot
I especially love the tone of colors
it lends to a certain sadness-

It is known "An artist is making art of himself"
it is always the deepest part of you-

Charlotte-