• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

[UV] shots from the park today

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Just preping and testing, so some output here for your - hopefully - viewing pleasure...

The 375-390nm group (violet UV reflection):

large.jpg

large.jpg

The 350-370nm group (yellow UV reflection):

large.jpg

large.jpg

That 2nd shot, a Helianthus tuberosus (in female state) image is quite interesting, as the full blooming flower shows a 350-370nm reflection, whereas the younger buds one in the 375-390nm range. Obviously there are stages in UV reflections I would assume.

[excuse the little motion blur in some images, it was quite windy today...]

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just preping and testing, so some output here for your - hopefully - viewing pleasure...

large.jpg

So what is the visible color of these flowers and do you know the identity? The picture is itself so enjoyable to the eye. I'm just wondering whether or not the colors we see are as rich?

I admire this work very much!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The 350-370nm group (yellow UV reflection):

large.jpg

large.jpg

That 2nd shot, a Helianthus tuberosus (in female state) image is quite interesting, as the full blooming flower shows a 350-370nm reflection, whereas the younger buds one in the 375-390nm range. Obviously there are stages in UV reflections I would assume.

Klaus,

Once again, your UV pictures are pleasing to us. They have little of lab-made foreignness we occasionally see with UV.

It would make natural survival sense for the flower to send easy to follow signals to insects as to which flowers are ready for pollination and where the nectar is easiest to find. Is there any evidence that insects follow these clues?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes Asher, a lot has been researched (and still needs to) that these "UV nectar guides" do have quite an influence on insect behaviour. Plant - insect interaction is quite some interesting research field.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

large.jpg

So what is the visible color of these flowers and do you know the identity? The picture is itself so enjoyable to the eye. I'm just wondering whether or not the colors we see are as rich?

I admire this work very much!

Asher

These flower in the middle of the image is a "Muscat sage" ( Salvia sclarea )as it is called here (used in the middle ages to spice up wine) and its flowers are a pinkish white. It is one of the few flowers that are regularely visited by our rare large metallic black "wood bee". Here one in approach:
455_ZF100_D20_0193cc_1.jpg

Left of it is the classic lavender, we all know well.

Asher Kelman

These flower in the middle of the image is a "Muscat sage" ( Salvia sclarea )as it is called here (used in the middle ages to spice up wine) and its flowers are a pinkish white. It is one of the few flowers that are regularely visited by our rare large metallic black "wood bee". Here one in approach:

Left of it is the classic lavender, we all know well.

I've never seen such a bee! First time I heard about it too! Can they pollinate orchards too? Are they resistant to beehive collapse? Are they used for beehives and making honey??

Asher

Jerome Marot

There are a few hundred different insects in the bee family in Europe. Most of them are solitary. Only the honeybee is used for honey production in Europe.

As for pollination, all these insects are useful, but they are not raised by humans for that purpose. At best, some people build nidification sites to help them a bit. As far as I know only honeybees are some species of bumblebees are explicitly raised for pollination of crops, the latter mainly in greenhouses. It only makes sense to raise social insects for the pollination of crops.

As far as honey production is concerned, the honeybee is not the only species used outside of Europe. In Australia and central America, for example, there are stingless bees which are kept for that purpose. They typically produce much smaller amounts of honey than the common honeybee, however.

Asher Kelman

There are a few hundred different insects in the bee family in Europe. Most of them are solitary. Only the honeybee is used for honey production in Europe.

As for pollination, all these insects are useful, but they are not raised by humans for that purpose. At best, some people build nidification sites to help them a bit. As far as I know only honeybees are some species of bumblebees are explicitly raised for pollination of crops, the latter mainly in greenhouses. It only makes sense to raise social insects for the pollination of crops.

As far as honey production is concerned, the honeybee is not the only species used outside of Europe. In Australia and central America, for example, there are stingless bees which are kept for that purpose. They typically produce much smaller amounts of honey than the common honeybee, however.

Jerome,

This knowledge may become critical for solving the food production problem where we face a threat due to world wide collapse of beehive colonies. It's possible that we may need to be looking at its cousins in the wild to pollinate all the orchards in the future.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I don't believe the honeybee colony collapse situation is so bad as to cause a real problem for worldwide food supplies. But this is a photography forum, not a forum devoted to beekeeping...

Asher Kelman

I don't believe the honeybee colony collapse situation is so bad as to cause a real problem for worldwide food supplies. But this is a photography forum, not a forum devoted to beekeeping...
Yes, Jerome,

In this you're right. But this "wish to know more", is a natural consequence of photography. There are 3 stages, the plan/strategy to get the picture, making the picture, appreciating the image and it's way of moving us. I'm on the "moving us" stage. Sometimes that's just emotions, other times it's thoughts and implications too!

This is new to me! Others, may well know all about it.

Photographs reveal part of the world viewers haven't seen, so this is interesting. The camera serves two purposes, recording and seeing and all that means. That is why, for example, Klaus uses UV. Not just for beauty, but to learn more about the world we live in.

So do you think reactions should be really focused to the direct nature of the picture? You could be right. I'm influenced by that fact that Klaus is a scientist and so am I.

Asher

Jerome Marot

So do you think reactions should be really focused to the direct nature of the picture? You could be right. I'm influenced by that fact that Klaus is a scientist and so am I.

No, I just wanted to avoid lengthy discussion on colony collapse disorder. I know from experience that, in beekeeping forums, this kind of discussion easily turns into an argument, with very little scientific content.

Asher Kelman

I guess that we have a better "discussion culture" here ;)

Klaus,

One of the great rewards of photography is the light it shines in all the recesses of life. I must say, I really enjoy learning about so much I have no personal access to. But Jerome, is right, we shouldn't go too far afield. It's a matter of balance. Sometimes it could be that I'm overtaken by enthusiasm, LOL!

I, personally am still in awe of the simple things nature has done for creatures to help them forage, compete and survive. Here, the flower invests in the pollinator, refining the bait and mapping its foliage.

Asher

Vivek Iyer

I used my ReflectionDisc for in-camera WB which leads to the following UV "color" palette:

original.jpg

Hi Klaus,

I am glad to see another person having a color calibrated cam. I have been shooting like this for ~2 years now. A modified cam becomes an extraordinarily powerful tool when is wavelength/color calibrated.

Nice stuff! :)

Anna Lee

I'm a mew member in this forum and i'm very happy that my first reply is devoted to such a beautiful pictures, so amazing! By the way, i'm not familiar with the UV/IR, it seems too professional to me, but i think i could learn more in this forum:)

Asher Kelman

I'm a mew member in this forum and i'm very happy that my first reply is devoted to such a beautiful pictures, so amazing! By the way, i'm not familiar with the UV/IR, it seems too professional to me, but i think i could learn more in this forum:)

Anna,

It so happens that you have picked a thread by a most remarkable scientist on UV and IR lighting in natural systems. Unlike human's limitations to the visible spectrum, many other creatures utilize more of the energy spectrum either side of our own limitations. This means that some patterns in plants, important to insects and pollination or messaging between organism are invisible to us. Klaus' work is in part devoted to recognizing and then understand such phenomena.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Hi Anna, you could start to read my BLOG if that would interest you. On the right side of it there are "starters" threads for beginners and "cook book" style on how to start.

@Asher: don't make me blush please... ;)

Anna Lee

Yes, Klaus,

I've visited your Blog before, so prpfessional, it seems that you changed the natural color using a kind of special way. Asher said you are a scientist.

Anna

Hi Anna, you could start to read my BLOG if that would interest you. On the right side of it there are "starters" threads for beginners and "cook book" style on how to start.

@Asher: don't make me blush please... ;)