• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographs and memories

Bob Rogers

Someone just let me know that a good friend has passed away. I've known him for quite some time. I wanted to look back at some photos, but I realized that somehow these two interestests, my friend, and my hobby, had never really intersected.

It's a curious thing. All I have left are memories -- no photos.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Someone just let me know that a good friend has passed away. I've known him for quite some time. I wanted to look back at some photos, but I realized that somehow these two interestests, my friend, and my hobby, had never really intersected.

It's a curious thing. All I have left are memories -- no photos.

Bob,

Gradually memories, which are plastic, get remolded into something that has the sharp corners rubbed of and the crevices filled in. Photographs, on the other hand emphasize split seconds that are also hardly representative. So we might say, "Weren't they a good couple!", relying on the pictures but if we kept a day by day diary of our experiences with them, we'd be really surprised at the extreme opinions they generated.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bob,

Three reasons for taking pictures: memories and beating immortality and trying to bring home what we cannot.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Photos can be wonderful memory joggers and even memorials.

I heard of a woman whose young son was killed in Afghanistan and in the six weeks he had been there before his death he had photographed as he went about his life. Although his camera was destroyed in the incident that caused his death, the meory card survived and she has his pictures as a memorial of his last weeks.

Mike