• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

After all these years, I think I want to go back

Rick Otto

Never thought I'd say that. When I was there, I wasn't interested in photography - except recon photos. I was very aware of how beautiful that country is, but that wasn't my focus. I think it may be now, if I was there again. The smell is what lingers even to this day - the smell of cookfires, wet foliage, damp dirt, friends... a breeze filled with sweet flowers, even though you had no idea where it came from .. the smell of fresh rain, and then the sour odor of the poncho you needed eventually. I guess all of the senses were at their peak back then..

I know I'd go crazy, filling up memory cards like mad - Just got my new Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS, and absolutely love it !! The shots I could get now..... I'd shoot everything I could see .... no pun intended.

I think the difference this time would be that I could take a second, and take it all in.. Like I said, the country is the most beautiful I've ever seen, and someone with an eye and a camera would have a blast these days.. Oh well, it dzn't appear I'll ever get to go back - although I just retired, and have all the time in the world, it would be financially impossible at this time. Damn - czu I remember this small village and the kids .. They'd love to have their picture taken..

r

75th Ranger Co - LRRP unit..
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_lrrp ........... (If anyone cares anymore - it's been a really long time)​

Jerome Marot

Oh well, it dzn't appear I'll ever get to go back - although I just retired, and have all the time in the world, it would be financially impossible at this time.

I suppose that you are talking about returning to south-east Asia: Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos. The fact is that you could very well go back. The flights can be surprisingly cheap if your dates are flexible (and you are retired). Living in those country will cost you less than staying at home if you are prepared not to live as a tourist.

Basically, this implies using public transport, staying in simple accommodations and eating tropical fruits and noodle soup. You could even do it for cheaper: a friend of mine visits such countries on his bicycle. His budget is so low it is ridiculous.

fahim mohammed

Exactly what Jerome mentioned.

But one question..are they not the children of the same people

that were once considered worthy of being killed and/or bombed and maimed ?

Hope you have a pleasant retirement.

Why not just go into high country and build a campfire and roast hotdogs and grab an old poncho and go camping.

on a serious note, Are you sure you want to go back to bring back painful memories?

Jerome Marot

Fahim, I am quite sure that you know the answer to your own question, since you are just stating what is a well known historical fact. The answer is obviously yes.

Would you please rephrase it to better reflect what you intended to say?

fahim mohammed

Jerome, of course I know the answer to my question. I want to hear what Rick thinks about this.

There is nothing to rephrase. It is a simple and straight forward question.

Jerome Marot

The simple and straightforward answer to your question is: yes, they are children of these people. If you want to know somebody's opinion, it would be appropriate to ask "what is your opinion?" and specify on what you want an opinion.

fahim mohammed

That's what I did of the OP.

Let him answer, if he chooses. If I wanted you to answer it, I would have directed the question specifically

to you.

fahim mohammed

Yes.

If you want, answer the question.

But do not try to tell me how to ask questions, unless I ask it of you.

In English Language usage, I do not need help from you or others.

Thank you.

Jerome Marot

I certainly was not criticizing your command of the English language. Please accept my apologies if I gave you that impression.

fahim mohammed

I certainly was not criticizing your command of the English language. Please accept my apologies if I gave you that impression.

Jerome, I am sure you did not mean it. I say that sincerely.

I would love to meet with you, if you can spare the time, when I next pass by Munich.

Kindest regards.

Rick Otto

Rick,

Where are those villages and fields?

Asher

NorthEast of Pleiku - Just outside the Cambodian border... I'm positive I could find it again.. What I remember best are the kids.

Fahim - this was a S Vietnam village - very small, and not our enemy in any way. We stayed at Camp Enari for a very brief period, and we put down near this village a couple of times.. I just remember the kids and their families as being extremely friendly towards us - and it cost some of those familes everything because of their cooperation. It had a lot to do with how we treated them also - there were normally only about 4-5 of us that passed through, and we, at first, saw them as a good resource, but rapidly befriended them, as they did us. Perhaps it would have been different if we were a full platoon coming into their village, but we gained their complete trust in a short period of time.

r

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
NorthEast of Pleiku - Just outside the Cambodian border... I'm positive I could find it again.. What I remember best are the kids.

Fahim - this was a S Vietnam village - very small, and not our enemy in any way. We stayed at Camp Enari for a very brief period, and we put down near this village a couple of times.. I just remember the kids and their families as being extremely friendly towards us - and it cost some of those familes everything because of their cooperation. It had a lot to do with how we treated them also - there were normally only about 4-5 of us that passed through, and we, at first, saw them as a good resource, but rapidly befriended them, as they did us. Perhaps it would have been different if we were a full platoon coming into their village, but we gained their complete trust in a short period of time.

r

Rick,

Did you take any pictures then? It would be great to go back with pictures to give away if they are of smiling kids! I'm sure everything has changed but for the better, I hope. You too have changed by being there!

Asher

Rick Otto

The Cambodian border runs west of Pleiku, so a village "just outside the Cambodian border" cannot be "Northeast of Pleiku". What about having a look at google maps and see whether you can find the village?

Google maps link to the area.

Thanks Jerome ... I mispoke and you're right..

Have never wanted to before, but I think I'll puruse the ol' stompin' gounds shortly.. Google is an amazing tool ..

thanks,

r