• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Once again, Asher....

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Well, the intimation of this thread is that this is your birthday.

Proceeding on that premise, happy birthday, my friend.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
When is one's birthday?

Hi, Asher,

Well, the intimation of this thread is that this is your birthday.

Proceeding on that premise, happy birthday, my friend.

Best regards,

Doug

Well,

From your delightfully and carefully framed logical induction, you're obviously interested in approaches to precision. So how does it apply to my birthday. Well the actual "Birthday", year by year, depends on the determinations of the term "date", (the accumulation of days in in the human historical context using quasi-celestial references of calculation), solar or lunar. Read more of this, here. According to Arab, Hebrew, Armenian, Indian and other major civilizations, birthdays can vary year to year in reference to the commonly accepted Western, Gregorian calendar, January to December based approximately on solar cycles. Here's a convenient and rather eye opening calendar convertor.

I was born May 19th 1941, the same day as Nora Ephron, the writer and Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh. This year, my birthday, [the 22cd day Iyyar, OOPS!]it's actually the 6th of Sivan), according to the Hebrew calendar, of this year, 5771, arrives, May 27th, 8 days tme! So, am I then younger than I thought? :)

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Thanks so much for calling attention to those various matters.

Indeed, if it is chronological age of which we speak, the only unambiguous reckoning is in terms of the SI unit of time, the second.

If we postulate an instant today (2011.05.19) whose time (as UTC) is the same as the time of your birth (expressed as UTC), then at that instant, your age will be 2,208,988,824 seconds.

(Those who get a different result have perhaps neglected to take into account leap seconds.)

There are of course some further small subtleties owing to the redefinition of the duration of the second at various points, and the offset between TAI and UTC, which makes it difficult to even express a "completely precise" result.​

This year, my birthday, the 22cd day Iyyar, according to the Hebrew calendar, of this year, 5771, arrived, May 13th, 6 days ago!

My resources suggest that the 22nd of Iyyar 5771 AM falls on May 26, 2011 CE. What am I missing?

Still, I'll put a tickler on my calendar for the 22nd of Iyyar 5772 AM.

In fact, I'll put on a tickler for the 22nd of Iyyar 5771 AM

And again best wishes.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Well Doug,

My original calculations were wrong. The 6th of Sivan was the Hebrew date so that means my Hebrew Birthday is going to be May 27th this year! I think we should start celebrating multiple dates!

What calendar do the Cherokee use?

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

Please accept my belated birthday greetings.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that as well as being a father figure for us young guys to look up to, you're a Gentleman in the true sense of the word. Dammit all, you could almost be British!

Best wishes,

Stuart

Rachel Foster

Asher, British. Hmmm...now there's a thought!

Actually, there is another British born physician whom I greatly admire, and once had the chance to meet: Oliver Sacks. He is, literally, my hero.

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Please accept my belated birthday greetings.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that as well as being a father figure for us young guys to look up to, you're a Gentleman in the true sense of the word. Dammit all, you could almost be British!

That, Stuart, is a great compliment. I owe a lot to my British upbringing. I do remember at the end of the War in 1945, our street was totally filled with celebrating people. Our home was on the German bombing run for Handley Page aircraft factory in Cricklewood, (where the Halifax and Lancaster heavy bombers were made) and one of the few home standing at the end of the war.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

My original calculations were wrong. The 6th of Sivan was the Hebrew date so that means my Hebrew Birthday is going to be May 27th this year! I think we should start celebrating multiple dates!

Well, the 6th of Sivan 5771 AM falls on June 8, 2011 CE.

May 27, 2011 CE falls on the 23rd of Lyyar 5771 AM.

Maybe I am missing something here.

What calendar do the Cherokee use?

I am looking into that. There is a rumor that its defined cycle ends on December 21, 2012.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

It looks as if you were born on the 22nd of Iyyar 5701 AM (or, if after sundown, the 23 of Iyyar 5701 AM). (Please excuse the earlier misspelling of the month.)

This is of course from the perspective of a half-Scots, half-German telephone engineer.

I may be missing something important in the reckoning.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Well, the 6th of Sivan 5771 AM falls on June 8, 2011 CE.

it ends up as May 27th!

Doug,

Yes, According to Chabbad website, it's June 8th. So that must be correct! However on my calculator,

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 1.57.02 PM.png

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Yes, According to Chabbad website, it's June 8th. So that must be correct! However on my calculator,

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 1.57.02 PM.png

But I show you as having been born on 22 Iyyar 5701 AM (maybe 23). Thus your Hebrew calendar birthday this year would be on May 26, 2011 CE.

I fear that calendar converter, while convenient and eye opening, may be bungled.

Or maybe four or five others are.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

But I show you as having been born on 22 Iyyar 5701 AM (maybe 23). Thus your Hebrew calendar birthday this year would be on May 26, 2011 CE.

I fear that calendar converter, while convenient and eye opening, may be bungled.

Or maybe four or five others are.

Best regards,

Doug

Well, Doug, that calculator is indeed mixed up! But at least it showns how chaotic these non-corresponding systems are!

My Hebrew birthday is indeed Iyar 22, May 26th, so I'm still much younger!

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

A late-ish Happy Birthday!

Live long and prosper.

Michael

Thanks Michae, Ed, Rubenl and all!

I'm still celebrating! I had my 3 year old grandson stay over for the first time and had a special birthday party for the two of us with a playing "robots", a story where he flies through the air and rescues a lost girl, swimming with him on my back and then he collapsed in bed and slept soundly. Not I!

I'd forgotten what it's like to have a silent angel sleeping, motionless. I got a flashlight to check on him every so often. In the wee hours I myself crashed! Then at 7 am he jumped on me with a smile, "Good morning grandpa Asher, "When is the next party?"

Asher

Last edited: