• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Look out for Orphans with Talent! Picture's You've Missed: Really Worth Visiting!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wonder how we find our way around. Some really fascinating pictures get orphaned or missed. How do you find your way around? Do you go to "Recent Posts" as that is a great idea. If one just bookmarks select fora, then one can miss gems of fun, the unusual or hard to reach and technical mastery. These are just a few:

For really exceptional work, don't overlook at Graham Mitchel's two pictures: an amazingly gentle portrait of Nordic Beauty and the kid on the bike!

Have you been to Inca ruins and followed their descendants coming and going in their everyday life? Look and Leonarbarreto's pictures from the Andes.

Sydney's post here.

Tom Robbins fascinating industrial landscape pictures with here.

What about some attention to Cedric Massoulier's ongoing series he's working on, still very much in progress, that is being ignored here?

Imagine we are ignoring. always ignoring Valentin's hard work! His splendid panos are beautiful!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Guys,

How many times do you think you are going to return to comment on a good picture? You might think, "That's just too good for me to have anything wise to say!", or "It's obviously so flawed and I don't want to insult anyone!" Else you might think of coming back later. Well, when everyone does that, they become orphans!

Time and time, who fail to comment on so many good images, come to complain when that happens to theirs too! We all are guilty.

Here, take a risk and tell the truth, any good you see, give first!

All help here appreciated!

Hint: Try to always look through Recent Posts. Stay logged on for that!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Ouch, Asher! A very precise piece of advice, indeed. I must admit that there have been times when I have felt annoyed by the low level of feedback on some of pictures. But then again, have I done my share in commenting the work of the other members? No, I certainly have not. I'll do better in the future, that's a promise!

I was subscribing to this forums a bit randomly at first because I was looking for some forums on retouching, and made my choice on only two (the other one is retouchpro) and ended up commenting on others pictures which was not the 1st intent. But I admit I have fun doing it...And for few weeks I regularly go to "recent post" and I choose a bit more wisely the posts where I want to comment (I prepare myself to get more involved). As I have a lot of info on my retouching on the other forum (maybe too much), I stopped a bit the topic on this one. Here is my relaxing but yet intense area, nice that I found you!

Asher Kelman

Ouch, Asher! A very precise piece of advice, indeed. I must admit that there have been times when I have felt annoyed by the low level of feedback on some of pictures. But then again, have I done my share in commenting the work of the other members? No, I certainly have not. I'll do better in the future, that's a promise!

Jarmo,

Thanks for the insight! Going over other folks pictures actually helps us understand our own work. Think of this, every time you reach out to dare to comment on someone else's picture, you are saying, "Hello, what's in your world today?"

Only this makes for a live community!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Wake up folk! Look for pictures that interest you! Are you following recent posts. Go through the images and give feedback. Make it happen or it wont!

Asher

these icelandic landscapes...

fjallabak-reflections.jpg

and

fjallabak-folds.jpg

Fjallabak Nature Reserve by Rajan Parrikar

wwwoowww

Asher Kelman

Yes, Sandrine,

These striking scene in Iceland are really important to visit! The thread to comment on is here

Thanks for drawing the needed attention!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Do we each deserve a kick in the pants?

I look at threads and see even the good folk who post, often don't themselves comment much on the work of others. Still more just lurk. Feedback adds affirmation and are important to photographers who share their work!

If we accept that artistic benefits from "openness to new experience" then how do we make this work for us? I'd say there's a tendency to be insular and gaze in the same directions much of the time. So to break out, why not visit let's the mages others have found a good experience?

So, what pictures would you suggest folk do not miss?

Asher