• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: New Profiling software from X.rite announced (Q4 2010)

Hi folks,

Not much real info available yet, no pricing indication (cheaper than ProfileMaker?),
but potentially important for those involved in generating their own profiles:

i1Profiler

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi folks,

Not much real info available yet, no pricing indication (cheaper than ProfileMaker?),
but potentially important for those involved in generating their own profiles:

i1Profiler

Cheers,
Bart

Bart,

Can such relatively inexpensive profiling software give us "Certified" testing so that our files will be trusted by major high quality print companies, or is it only the printer one uses in one's own place of work that get's "Certified" for proofing?

Asher

Andrew Rodney

Can such relatively inexpensive profiling software give us "Certified" testing so that our files will be trusted by major high quality print companies, or is it only the printer one uses in one's own place of work that get's "Certified" for proofing?

The package builds ICC profiles. I don’t see how after that, it can be “certified“ (what ever that means or who ever is supposedly certifying the process) for proofing or anything else. You have to use process control techniques to now evaluate if the device is remaining consistent and where it has issues doing so. Something like Chromax’s Maxwell is where you’d go for that.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Can such relatively inexpensive profiling software give us "Certified" testing so that our files will be trusted by major high quality print companies . . .
I'm not sure I understand that issue.

Are you talking about an "accurate" profile for your monitor so the image you create will truly represent (in its color space) the colors you intended (as you saw/chose them during editing)?

There would seem to be no meaning to a device-specific profile embedded in a delivered file.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Asher,

I'm not sure I understand that issue.

Are you talking about an "accurate" profile for your monitor so the image you create will truly represent (in its color space) the colors you intended (as you saw/chose them during editing)?

There would seem to be no meaning to a device-specific profile embedded in a delivered file.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

There are printing devices which have been qualified by standards associations dealing with industrial CMYK printers that are recognized in the offset printing industry. It apparently gets the color in the ballpark and close to ones target. That at least is the intent and concept. If one uses a such a certified small print machine in one's own office, then the proof will also match the output of any other such certified machine, including large machines like the Linotype Hell CMYK printeres using the same criteria and standardized test patches.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

There are printing devices which have been qualified by standards associations dealing with industrial CMYK printers that are recognized in the offset printing industry. It apparently gets the color in the ballpark and close to ones target. That at least is the intent and concept. If one uses a such a certified small print machine in one's own office, then the proof will also match the output of any other such certified machine, including large machines like the Linotype Hell CMYK printeres using the same criteria and standardized test patches.
Got it.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug