• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge, Sports, Showing Super-Competitiveness 2006_08 Sports Super Competitive_01

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Can't own both? :)

Antonio, but I do.

One to break my back at indoor events and for portraits and art work, one for my pocket when shooting the streets or trails!

Two are needed. It comes as a set!

Asher

Bob McClennan

first post

DSC_0039.jpg

Nikon D70, Nikkor 2.8 180mm.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Bob,

Congrats on your first post. I'm glad to see another Nikon shooter is here! A nice lens.

You may be limited by your position or lack of zoom, but it's worth considering how to get the hands in the frame of your picture during fast action. first be conscious of body parts, next shoot fast and with trying you will also adjust on the fly to get everything included.

Next, who actually gets to the ball?

Look at Nill Toulme's shots and you will get his idea of peak action. What is the defining sub moment of a particular challenge to get the ball or to send it on it's way or score.

You have recorded super-competitiveness between these girls well. Can you take this to the next level?

Asher

Nill Toulme

I really like that shot Bob. I always like to see players with their eyes up, especially young players. You did a super job with the exposure, maintaining both the quality of the light and the shadow detail. I would probably crop a little more off the right side, maybe make it a 5x7 ratio or thereabouts.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Bob McClennan

Here's the whole sequence

DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0041.jpg

Thanks for the c/c, the light was good that day and the lens is super sharp. I'm thinking about adding a f4 300mm nikkor. I've read good reviews on that lens also.
As far as comments on the cropping of the images, I hear you! One of the things I've found in shooting my first half season of soccer, is that a fixed tele lens is faster focusing, and sometimes forces you to tighten the crop automatically as the players approach you. Some of my best shots have happened when I'm not even sure I have a player in the viewfinder, I just keep shooting and hope I get a good focus.

Nill Toulme

Matt I really like 1, 2 and 3 — 3 is an absolute classic, superb shot. #4 doesn't do much for me. Light is harsh, faces aren't clear, action is unintelligible. Not sure I would have considered it a keeper, and it's definitely not in the same class with the other three.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Thanks for the feedback Nill. Agree that #4 is not of the same, its the ugly side of the game taking a player out. In retrospect, probably should not have posted it. On the other side, #3 is by far one of my favorites as well!

Regards,
Matt

Nill Toulme

Mind you, it's not the subject matter I object to. If the shot had captured a blatant foul as well as the other three captured their respective moments, I would have been all for it. I just think it falls in the close-but-not-close-enough category, particularly in comparison to the quality of the other three.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

David Patterson

Safe ?

The 3rd base Ump\Referee, who also coached the "Detroit Tigers", called his player "Safe".
Ended my sons season, which he felt keenly, but I was grateful for the opportunity to explain the relative importance of being labeled a "Winner" versus being known for Honesty, Integrity, and Character.

img_6198_safe.jpg

Ron Mason

No, afraid not Nill, Exposuremanager's code doesn't play well with the forum. I'll have to figure out something else.

Ron

Barry Johnston

A few of mine....

These were taken at the Philip Island motorcycle GP in 2006
They weren't as sharp as I would have liked them to be, unfortunately the 7D has noise issues as soon as you bump up the ISO. I hope you like them anyway.

Konica-Minolta 7D & 70-200 f/2.8

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Regards,
Barry

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Recents shots with 20D + 1.4 II + 70-200 IS L USM

If you click on the photos they will direct you to my Sports Gallery.
Thank you for looking. :)