• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

American Avocets

Steve Robinson

From my June class in Yellowstone, these avocets were wading next a small island in the middle of a lake. I was jealous of the Canon 600mm (cannon?) lens another photographer had but I make do with my 300. Taken with a Pentax K20D and DA*300mm f/4.

598058723_ao5kV-O.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steve,

I like how you have taken advantage of the two forms of the surface of the water and then the islands of dirt to make your composition. The birds then become part of a set of sprinkles in all this and it's quite attractive. I wonder if you would consider that the two regions might be too closely balanced. It might be worthwhile to look at two alternate presentations. Either remove an inch of the top or 1.5" from the bottom to have the picture commit itself to one clear form or another. Just my suggestion. I like you picture even as it s but feel it could be stronger.

I'd also enjoy more close-ups, if you have them to share. Good job!

Asher

Nice capture of a wonderful bird species. Excellent exposure, great detail.

Composition-wise, I tend to agree with Asher that cutting some off the bottom might be beneficial. Also, shooting from a lower angle (if it was possible) might be worth trying as well - you would gain a better perspective on the birds, although it would be at the cost of losing some of the grass and mud texture and detail. Always good to get shoots from varying perspective while in the field, and then choosing which you like better once you get back home.

Steve Robinson

Thanks Asher and Don for the critique. I have played with the composition some going back and forth. I think taking the inch off the top seems better than off the bottom. What do you think? As far as getting a closeup this is about as close as I could get as you can see from the original. Pentax does have a "super telephoto" on their lens roadmap. I'm saving my pennies!

Inch and a half off the bottom.
599326174_5TLcL-O.jpg

Inch off the top.
599326046_Qbhn6-O.jpg

Original image.
599326156_5pMRF-O.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steve,

I love the lenses you have; nostalgic for the Pentax brand! I hope you took a lot more. Is this pond near you?

Asher

Thanks for the original cropping options. To my eye, the one where you cropped off the bottom is more pleasing than the one cropped from the top. I'm not exactly sure why, but perhaps it might because the water behind the birds at the top has a bit of light and color on them whereas the foreground water is more dark with less color.

Steve Robinson

Thanks again Asher and Don for your input. I'll study the two comps some more and see what you're seeing.

Asher, the location is in Yellowstone which is about 3 hrs from home. I try to go as often as possible during the year although not usually in July and August because of the traffic and the motel rates are also much cheaper in the off season.

I like the Pentax lenses and I think the IQ is as good as the competition if not as numerous. Pentax is now adding new lenses at a pretty decent interval including a number of digital primes. In addition I can use any old Pentax lenses which are still pretty darn good although the used lens prices have risen in the last year as they're being snapped up by new Pentax owners and others who are converting them to use on Canikons.