• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Contretemps in Jökulsárlón

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
See Contretemps in Jökulsárlón for the back story.

jokulsarlon-beach.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rajan,

So that distant "incoming" became simply massive and overpowering! Bam! That must have been a shock and a total surprise! The hypnotic effect of nature and beauty can draw us in, so we ignore our own natural caution There's an adrenalin rush, for sure, when seeing such formidable patterns of nature.
You could have gotten seriously hurt!

Twice, I have totally lost a sense of fear of where I was perched, and nearly lost my gear and myself because of that. Those, like us, who get so absorbed into the views we're shooting should at least have a buddy there too! When I last shot a 4 hour pano on the edge of a 15 story roof, I tethered the camera and tripod, but also has a security guard to make sure I didn't forget where I was!

Asher

On the ruined 5DII: Olympus users would laugh at a 5DII being ruined as some even go into the shower with it after a visit to the beach!

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Asher,

That trance we sometimes get into while in the field can be deadly.

Would the Olympus have survived a combination of salt water and black sand? Or for that matter the Canon 1Ds series?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

That trance we sometimes get into while in the field can be deadly.

Would the Olympus have survived a combination of salt water and black sand? Or for that matter the Canon 1Ds series?

Apparently, one just washes the Olympus in the shower. That's what a number of folk have told me. I'm not brave enough to do that with a 1DII!

Asher