• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The importance of a proper WB

Michael Fontana

pro member
Sometimes, to get the correct WB isn't easy, mixedlight-situations are a example for that:

WB.jpg

The yellowish tends to be ok for the outside light, plus has the notion of interior light to be yellowish - tungstene - meanwhile the blue/green one shows best the inside.

Virtual copies in a converter are a good help, for nailing it down.
I finally decided for the blue version, as it emphazise the shots intention: the interior.

Maybe strictly tecnically lightwise, its not correct - a bit more of yellow would have given a better impression of a dusk, but then the important green would have been °corrupted° - in between was dull.

Some of you members would favorise the yellow one - and why?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Your question has no "right" answer, Michael. That is, there is no such thing as "right white balance" for this image. The tonality (both color and luminance) you establish should be dictated by what you are trying to convey. Let's se the whole frame. How do you plan to use this image?

I finally decided for the blue version, as it emphazise the shots intention: the interior.

Maybe strictly tecnically lightwise, its not correct - a bit more of yellow would have given a better impression of a dusk, but then the important green would have been °corrupted° - in between was dull.

I agree with the choice for the more correct interior colors. However, why not combine the two renderings, to accentuate that the colors are correct?

Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
I fear that it might look to generic then, meanwhile one °light source only°- setting would make it clearer.

- but I will give it a try.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Here we go:

WB-mix.jpg

Not really convinced about the mixed version; the blue one is more exiting, shows better the back window...

the entire roof - incl. the frontside is in recd copper.

Maybe best changing a bit the huey of the blue version.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I know..... bit over the top but I like vivid colour & the original looks kinda flat.

Actually... on second thought.... I love it now.

WB.psd

Michael Fontana

pro member
Judging the results the next day, and having a second thought is quite helpfull:

in the blended version, I disliked the daylight to be to bright; making it darker helps a lot.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Ok, and here's the result, making the exterior quiter and dusk-looking. The exterior is from a new RAWconversion, its interior looks really dull....

WB_3.jpg

Ok, and here's the result, making the exterior quiter and dusk-looking. The exterior is from a new RAWconversion, its interior looks really dull....

What I generally do with exposure blended images (here it could help your 'interior' layer alone), is finish it off with a shadow/highlight contrast boost (in the order of +15 to 20), and perhaps a very low (0-5) setting of the shadow and/or highlight amounts to avoid losing too much definition there.

Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bart

the images shown here are unsharpend screenshots only; the tiffs look at 100% more defined, of course.

Did you talk about Shadow/Highlights in PS?

Michael Fontana

pro member
I'm giving that a try.

Just for completing some other shots from the school library. The green color looks now pretty credible, in the entire serie, through day and night. That was quite important, as this is a specific, picky green, and I wanted it to be plusminus constant, through all the shots. Wondering if they bring it through the print machine ;-)

WB_4.jpg

Jeremy Jachym

pro member
Hi Michael, what a wonderful project. Beautiful photography.

I also would have converted the interior and exterior lighting differently and then blended them together. I've developed images where I've completely removed the yellow/warmth from the interior of a lit home, but a home is supposed to emit warmth and the interpretations without it lack that invitation to come inside. This project is different though, it's not a home, it's a abstract modern design and for this I might like it to be cooler.

JJ

Michael Fontana

pro member
Yes Jeremy, it's a nice project.

Here's the making of the pano.

I' ll go and do some further shots' as the furniture and books are in, now.

Thinking of it, I'm a bit sad, as the architect died, just a few days ago.
I liked him very much; he choosed alwith my favourites shots, and he always supported the idea of trying to go further.

So in memoriam of Karl Schneider a shot of the last building he did:

E+S_MG_08_A_2.jpg