• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Calibrating Macbook Pro Monitor

Nich Fern

I calibrated my first generation Macbook Pro a little less than a year ago with a borrowed Spyder2. I've been meaning to re-calibrate since then, but only just finally bought a i1 Display 2 after a little research. I just calibrated with the i1 for the first time and though I was expecting my monitor to change a little bit, there was actually a drastic change. I can't tell if I was just used to a very yellow monitor before or if this one has a more magenta shade to it. I believe I read somewhere that the i1 has a tendency to do this. What should I do to get an accurate monitor calibration with the i1?

As a subquestion: What is the best ambient light to edit in? I've been working with all of the lights out, in a nearly pitch black room for a while now, but when I used the ambient light measurement, it said the temperature was wrong and that it was too dark. It also said this would fatigue my eyes. Should I not be editing like this? I figure its better than having the overhead tungsten on. I'm just a university student in a rented house, so I haven't exactly set up a permanent work area for optimum environment, and I only ever edit for a few hours at a time.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nich,

We have a lot of "gurus" here on color management who'll hopefully provide some answers. I have had my fair share of calibrating monitors. IMHO, trying to control your work environment to the extreme (such as working in dark) is way overrated. I do business with advertising and printing companies and have never ever seen their art directors or designers working in dark rooms, if you get what I mean.

So the question is, what are you working on which is that sensitive to color changes introduced by the ambient lighting? If accurate color is that important to you, you should not be working on a laptop screen to start with.

Nich Fern

Thanks Cem,

Yeah, like I said, poor college student working with what I have. Soon I'd like to get a good monitor but for now I bought a monitor calibrator because it was relatively cheap, and after borrowing one from someone else I saw how big of a difference it made from my previous profile created by the built in mac easy calibration software. I moved and cant borrow the spyder anymore. As for the the ambient light, also like I said, closing the curtains and turning off the light is the easiest way I can control the environment, not exactly with the intention of taking it to an extreme. You think leaving the overhead tungsten on wouldn't make any difference?

Still waiting on the gurus though, for the main part of my post.

Andrew Rodney

What did you calibrate to? On such a display, I'd try Native White Point and Native Gamma. You can't get too much luminance out of these pups. Ambient light in the room? Can't be too low. As long as you can see around and not bump your knee into the table, lower is always better.

The current Ambient tool in that software is pretty useless. It will tell you if its too bright. Otherwise, I'd skip it. It can't be too dark!

Nich Fern

6500 and 2.2; wouldnt changing to native white point and gamma make my monitor further from standard? never understood why everyone has different native settings or why different wp/g's are used for different types of work.

Andrew Rodney

6500 and 2.2; wouldnt changing to native white point and gamma make my monitor further from standard? never understood why everyone has different native settings or why different wp/g's are used for different types of work.

There is no standard. Native is just that "don't alter the display (which in most units can't be done anyway), just profile the behavior". The ICC profile does the "correction" (Display Using Monitor Compensation) in high bit, in the ICC aware application.